main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    I believe that is accurate - it's not exactly a reboot, but there is a lot of retooling going on. However, I'm not sure there is an equivalent for the EU other than a reboot or major overhaul. I think EU continuity is much tighter than Marvel Universe ever was.

2. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Yeah, it's a real fine line. Personally, I'm generally okay with having two universes; I'd prefer it if everything is nice and tidy, but I'll accept it, though I do believe that they could get a really messed up universe if they try to make Star Wars James Bond, and have every trilogy do its own thing. That said, I really don't believe the right move, from a business point of view, is to outright ignore everything. The cynic in me says that they'll ignore everything anyway, but pretend they don't.

We'll just have to wait and see. Personally, I'm thinking the best move for all concerned is to place it around 40 years after ANH. That wold correspond well with the big three's age, so they can make their cameos, and they can set it after everything and make their own stories. Or if they reboot everything, that's fine, but I have to wonder what the books will do.

3. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I reiterate. if they haven't changed Marvel the won't change LFL. Deal with it Rebooters and get your heads screwed on right continuity lovers

Master_Keralys likes this.
  4. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I've actually been wondering for quite some time... is there a large, multi-media franchise out there that has as tight continuity as the SW EU? We all know that SW is far from perfect in that department, but frankly, it puts everything I know to shame.

Master_Keralys likes this.
  5. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    GFFA Two, here we come?

6. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Crisis in Infinite Galaxies?

7. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I'm not sure it would be worth it. The Big Three's story is told in the movies. They should have a bit role if nothing else.

8. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    In some respects I think a reboot would be clean too, however there's one big problem. If they do a reboot, my guess is that we will lose most of the current authors. Many of them have invested so much time and effort into crafting the current EU continuity, I think many of them will just stop rather than restarting. I can't imagine having Zahn, Denning or Allston wanting to write new novels and disregard all of their old stuff. Same goes for many of the others. You'll also lose the interest of the super-fans like Pablo who won't have any need to know everything about continuity anymore. Leeland Chee will be out of a job.

A clean break could have some interesting positives to restart the post-ROTJ with a completely fresh perspective, but we'll probably end up with a completely new batch of authors too. Further, all of the existing EU stuff will probably go out of print quickly as interest will wane quickly.

Just some more food for thought.

9. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Listen if Marvel hasn't rebooted LFL won't reboot until proven otherwise

10. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    Although it is fairly fixed and static, Middle-Earth is extremely tight in terms of continuity. It is much smaller too though.

I can't think of anything else.

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  11. JStepp

JStepp Jedi Padawan star 2

Jun 10, 2011
    Guys I'm scared...

12. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Fear. Fear will keep the fans in line.

13. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    You have no idea what they'll do. The probably didn't change anything about Marvel because it's franchise was already in motion, was making money, and was critically successful. Disney isn't stupid, why would they ruin something that making loads of cash?

With STAR WARS it's different. There has been no movie in 7 years, the movies we did get were disliked my a popular majority of causal viewers, critics, and fans. IT's books, comic, games, etc. only sell so much and probably those sales have dwindled over the years. Starting from after ROTJ allows more a connection to the POPULAR trilogy, and also moves the franchise in a new direction away from the PT. There is no reboot because Disney would be rebooting nothing, just continueing after a 30 year old movie. Your connecting fans to the movie with it being a continuation of the Luke story ,and your obviously bringing in new fans and fans of the films. The idea of actually living(hopefully) to see another STAR WARs trilogy, one that most figured would never happen, is just to much.

It's money, and money is what it's all about.

14. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    Well, that's that then.

:cool:

Dynoblaze likes this.
  15. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    Marvel movies tend to be adaptations or aggregations of popular storylines from the comics. At this point the real money is probably in the movies and merchandising, and the comics perhaps are just kept around to incubate new ideas, new characters, test story ideas and so forth to use as the front end of the pipeline to the money making machine. Disney could potentially keep the Marvel Comics line going even if not profitable just to use it to generate the material that it can use to make big profits.

One interesting outcome would be if something similar happened with Star Wars. What if Disney actually separated the canon/continuity and actually placed the books and comics at the highest level and used it to generate the characters and ideas to make interesting movies adapting the ideas similar to how it works with comics? Of course, this probably won't happen, but it would be an interesting change in direction. The "true canon" for Spider-Man is in the comics, but that does not stop multiple disconnected sets of movies to be made. The same goes with Batman, Superman, etc.

16. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Either do you so unless I see straight up proof that there gonna ignore EU.

Mod edit: Absolutely no need for that.

17. JStepp

Jun 10, 2011
    Why couldn't they just make KOTOR movies and retcon TOR with a proper KOTOR 3. Since they are going post ROTJ they should base it one legacy and that era. They could make so much money from imperial knights toys. And I wouldn't mind if they just retcon one comic book.

18. Jedifirefly5

Jedifirefly5 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    GL hasn't lost the ability to "I am your father" us. [face_beatup]

19. JStepp

Jun 10, 2011
    The fanbase is already fracturing! Oh no the Mayans were right 2012 is Armageddon.... for star wars!

20. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    No one really has proof of anything right now. That's part of the fun, I think. At this point, it could be anything from a trilogy on Xim the Despot to a trilogy that's so contradictory of the EU that it's almost contemptuous as it burns, rapes and pillages all established canon, while adding several dozen methods of how the Death Star plans were acquired, and kills Evan Piell again for nothing but sadistic enjoyment.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  21. Silas Nightstalker

Silas Nightstalker Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 7, 2012
    There's also the possibility that that simply finance the project while the major creative minds at Lucasfilm actually make the movie. I really hope they get some of the authors in on writing it.

22. windu4

windu4 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2008
    I don't see them really using the EU or targeting the older fanbase. I figured that Disney will just handle Star Wars the way they handled Marvel. Have a easter egg few nods for the older fanbase while aiming at a new demographic. EU seems a bit convoluted to try and make an actually tangible trilogy out of it.

That being said I'm excited to see what this will bring but I'm also cautious because Star Wars hasn't exactly been up to snuff in the last decade.

23. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Can't believe I'm the first person to say this, but I hereby petition for today to be known henceforth as D-Day, and for the thread title to reflect as much.

24. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    The EU, as TCW has pushed for years, is now an alternate universe in all but name.
    [​IMG]

So it goes. Remember when Lucas had integrity? Yeah, me neither.

Edit: Hopefully TCW is cancelled to focus on the sequels. [face_devil]

Robimus and instantdeath like this.
  25. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Does the D stand for Disney?

I don't think the clone wars has to worry there is about zero percent chance that this trilogy happens during the Prequel Trilogy. Anything before the OT is most likely 100% FIne.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.