main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Disney buying Lucasfilm????? Star Wars goes on?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by ObiAlKenobi, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    Guys the only way Mark Hamill would ever be in this is if it was a small, short cameo appearance as a hologram in a jedi holocron or something.

Lets try to be realistic about this.

2. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Relax guys, Disney's not stupid.

They know hard core SW fans aren’t going to be into the whole situation. Therefore, I highly doubt they’ll put tinker bell in to spar with Mara Jade. They know we love it. They know that we will go see it again, and again, and again if it captures the right charm, this is something LucasFilm never really got. They know this new move will make or break their decision to buy the franchise. They aren’t just going to spit some crap out and say “hey look we made a Star Wars thing”. George Lucas would probably kill them all if they did that, it's his vision and we all know if there's one thing about GL we understand, is that everything beside his vision simply didn't happen.There’s no way Disney’s just going to ignore that.

3. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    let's hope its a NEW era.

4. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    I'm so hoping for a new title...episode this & that is old. No more numbers please.

5. venepe

venepe Jedi Master star 1

Feb 25, 2004
    I noticed that the Official site has now Episodes 1-6 as Star Wars:The Skywalker Saga. I can live with that. I would prefer that the new movies are called Sar Wars: The ???? Saga and starts the new saga from its own episode 1.

obi-rob-kenobi4 likes this.
  6. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    That's fair & Id support that concept. Bring in new actors, new sound engineers, new directors, new composers, new talent. Give the new up & comers the same chance the others got. No cameos of anyone from The Saga.

Game3525 and venepe like this.
  7. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    Feature more alien charcters like the 3 eye milistar guys, feature a lead jawa, gungan or wookie.

8. khuddle

khuddle Jedi Master star 1

Oct 17, 2008
    Thats actually another great thing about Lucas quitting Star Wars -- back to decent film titles! No more "Attack of the Clones" or "Phantom Menace"
    nonsense. I mean, remember when you first head "Phantom Menace" back in '99? Wasnt that the first thing that told you "Hmm, this may not be such
    a great movie after all, despite what Harry Knowles at Aint Cool News has been telling me."

9. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I get the feeling the Underworld series is going to loom large in a "what could have been" manner once these new films start rolling.

And also if I could have one fanboy wish granted it would be that Lucas kept the Willow rights for himself and will spend some of that $4 bill making one last auteur-style blockbuster.

10. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    Agreed.

11. khuddle

khuddle Jedi Master star 1

Oct 17, 2008
    You know, getting a little of track here, and very unrealistic, but man I would love to see an ENTIRE Star Wars movie made in the same vein
    as those bad*ss Bioware trailers for "Star Wars: the Old Republic". I mean those really got the heart pumping, particularly the second one
    with the female Jedi and her double bladed light sabre. Not that will ever happen, but if I had my way, thats the way I'd make them.

12. syferdiasisalie

syferdiasisalie Jedi Master star 3

Sep 26, 2004
    I'm stayin' in spoiler-free heaven 'till Episode VII!

13. Gpatton

Gpatton Jedi Youngling

Oct 30, 2012
    Thrawn trilogy!!! I want it so bad!

As for the purest who don't want more. All I can say is GL can kiss my @** with all this kiddy SW crap. Jar jar was a disaster and the CG clone wars was written for 8 year olds. The non CG clone wars series were IMHO bad *** though! Honestly all will be well if it's made for the age group they aim the marvel movies at and give it a good budget. Plus keep Lucas himself away! That man lost his edge as a filmmaker and visionary. I mean how bad can you F up Lucas arts over and over again!

14. SpaceMonkey10

SpaceMonkey10 Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 2, 2006
    It will probably follow the Anakin, Jaina and Jacen Solo stories. I just hope they don't make them like "Twilight".

15. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    OK. I heard this from a coworker who heard the news on NPR. I didn't believe him. It's still sinking in.

1) My favorite band, DEVO, sold out to Disney a few years ago, so I've been through this before. I HATED their decision and the project for a couple years, but I got over it. Disney money is good, and it doesn't ruin all good art. As we have seen with Pixar.
    2) This reminds me of a Disney Magazine article from 1997 promising a third trilogy. The issue was unusually informative about Lucasfilm. But in that year it seemed like Star Wars had tie ins everywhere.
    3) The Star Wars Saga is over, however, Lucas has always imagined the franchise to be more ongoing, with more stories, as stories like Splinter in the Mind's Eye show. Before it solidified into the 6-film Tragedy of Darth Vader. I look forward to new adventures with different kinds of characters. Maybe next time starring a girl! As long as they stick to the Star Wars formulas. The coming of age stuff, the wipes. And as long as they don't get all consciously New Star Wars (think of the techno music in The Clone Wars Movie), I think new movies are a welcome edition.
    4) Hopefully, this is really a sign of Lucas making time for his weird little indie movies.
    5) Oh, and please don't mess with the EU too much. I still wanna read that stuff.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  16. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Wurd! I hope they do there stuff faaaar in the past or faaar in the future or just make film of EU books.

17. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Wait. Disney owns the Muppets now too. Did the Muppets lose their... meh... best I relax and think about something else. Like Wall-E. :)

18. DarthSpin

DarthSpin Jedi Youngling

Oct 30, 2012
    That's a good spot - it suggests that the story from eps 1-6 is over and the new films will look at someone / something else in the same universe. I'd still like cameos from R2-D2, C-3PO and Luke, Leia and Han.

First post...

19. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Depending on how closely the new trilogy adheres to the story treatments that Lucas gave Kathy Kennedy, the droids could very well be the only characters to appear in all 9 films. However, based on comments by Kathy Kennedy and Lucas, I very much doubt that the droids will be the only familiar characters to appear in the Sequel Trilogy; in fact, I expect that we'll see at least one of the 'big 3' in at least one film in the ST, and it will probably be Luke who gets that honor.

20. Darth Rayder

Darth Rayder Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 1999
    You know, just thinking aloud here...given the improvements in motion capture technology and the growth of, let's call it, "De-aging" software (think Bridges in Tron: Legacy) there's really no reason why they couldn't do 7-9 with the OT bunch if they could get all the actors on board. I doubt that's the direction they're going if, as Venepe said, they're now marketing 1-6 as "The Skywalker Saga" but still...just an entertaining thought from an old-timer.

21. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    SPOILER-FREE HEAVEN FOR EPISODE VII BABY!!!

TreborSabreon likes this.
  22. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Re: this whole 'Skywalker Saga' labeling thing, I just went to the official site, and, based on the context in which the label appears, I really think you guys are reading way too much into things vis a vis Episode VII.

23. citizenmilton

citizenmilton Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    I always considered myself a huge Star Wars fan but after the prequel trilogy finished, and for me it became diminished by the lack of any future movies to look forward to, it was a thing of the past and lost a sense of vitality. Occasionally in the past few years I've hoped that somehow Lucas could bring new life to the franchise by stepping aside, and I'm initially enthusiastic about this arrangement. Disney should be responsible stewards. Even if the first few films fail, Disney's not going anywhere, and there will always be talented creative people who'd be drawn to the SW universe.

James Bond has languished at times, and prospered at times - and the most recent film has buzz that makes it sound like one of the best in the franchise, even decades after "Dr. No". So I'll take the long view of this new arrangement. It's probably the best long-term structure to keep Star Wars alive in the world of film and entertainment.

3-D films, 48fps films, maybe even in a generation or two, 3-D immersive virtual reality theater. The Force lives on. Good news.

24. LukeTano

LukeTano Jedi Master star 3

Jul 10, 2009
    Does this mean Disney now controls TCW as well and Filoni doesn't?

25. Leah Jaded

Leah Jaded Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 23, 2002
    I love Disney and I love Star Wars, but honestly my first reaction to this was "Nooooo!!!!!!!!" (Literally. Nothing makes you feel sane like screaming at your tv ;)).

I think I need more time to let it all sink in. Right now I'm thinking future movies will either be really good or really bad.

SpaceMonkey10 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.