main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Disney Buys LucasFilm: Star Wars 7 Planned To Release 2015

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by jaoblias, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GreedoCMZ

GreedoCMZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 13, 1999
    So true. This is what I try to tell people.

Bowen and BoromirsFan like this.
  2. darksideyesplease

darksideyesplease Jedi Master star 4

Feb 12, 2005
    Obviously Disney didn't pay 4 billion to make 3 movies, so that it is a shock that would make more... Not really. The entire thing is a shock that the company was sold... yes. But to think that the company buying it wouldn't bleed it for all it is worth, not so much.

Also for the doubters out there, "I'll believe it when I see it." mentality. It's a reality. It is happening. They didn't pay 4 billion to NOT make a Star Wars movie. Lucas in the video interview saying he's turned over treatments for 7, 8, and 9, including many other stories he's worked on... Yeah..

See you in 2015.

I'll be buying 2 tickets to every showing I go to so FelsGoddess can sit next to me.

3. silverfighter

silverfighter Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 28, 2007
    I actually brushed off the old username just because of this. Honestly when I heard what Lucas did I face-palmed. Rather than sloshing through 9 pages of a thread, can someone tell me if there is any news if the new movies will follow the EU, or are they going to make something completely different?

4. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I'm pretty sure it's too early for those kinds of details. We don't even know if Episode 7 is actually episode 7 or a spin off trilogy yet.

5. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Again. Ha, I still have a recording of ANH from The Disney Channel in 1990.
    It could mean any future shows, maybe even The Clone Wars, could go to the Disney Channel, or ABC.
    I wouldn't expect the new, or at least Sequel Trilogy of movies to follow EU, since Lucas stated in those videos that he'd been working on scripts for a while. I wonder if this deal came as a solution to producing the planned expensive TV series. Instead of a series, we get movies and more.
    I said it during the Prequel times. Copying EU doesn't exactly bring anything new, and these people are artists, creative talents. They don't just want to piece together books and comics and film it. Lucas wanted to make Gungans and Neimoidians and Kaminoans and Padawans and a Rule of Two and all that.

6. GreedoCMZ

GreedoCMZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 13, 1999
    George doesn't stick to the EU. He does what he feels like and the EU tries its best to conform to him. There is no indication in the recent news that his submitted 7, 8 and 9 will be based on any EU story but I could see it containing certain elements. Luke flirting with the dark side? Could be good. The emperor's clone? Not such a good idea. A lot of EU stuff bugs me and doesn't have the proper sense of what Star Wars was really about. Some of it though was pulled off rather well.

BTW, am I the only person here who registered in the 90's?

Bowen likes this.
  7. Norminator

Norminator Jedi Master star 2

Nov 2, 2009
    Why would they change the opening crawl? The 20th century fox part is probably gone (which sucks), but there's no reason to take out the crawl.
    The Avengers gets mentioned because it has existed in media for a long long time, it has a typical "nerd" fandom, it's "made by" Disney and it's a huge success even among old school fans. It's an example of CGI done right, as opposed to eps 1-3. It's what can be done with a huge franchise if the right writer and director is involved.
    Lucas had one focused dream? I guess that's why he has gone back and changed it so many times. How much time passes between movies doesn't have to be a sign of quality (or lack thereof). As long as there's enough time, it's no problem. 2-3 years is enough time to put out a good movie. You don't NEED 20 years.

And there are many more star wars fan groups. there are those who love the expanded universe, those who love only the prequels, those who hate the expanded universe and so on.
    time to face it, Star Wars is more than the skywalker saga. Even though I am a "pt hater", I still think the only true cannon so far is the six GL movies. But that all changes once Disney puts out one. That officially becomes cannon, whether you or I like it or not.

The more I think about this, the more optimistic I am. Lucas is both the creator of and the greatest hindrance to the Star Wars universe.

Personally I hope for these things:
    1. A trilogy (or just a movie) that doesn't have anything to do with the Skywalker era. Preferably from the old republic era.
    2. a TV show that's similar in style to Firefly. No jedi main character, no stale acting.
    3. A massive RPG trilogy in the style of Mass Effect, set in the SW universe.

8. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    nice to see some old faces in here

9. Dynoblaze

Dynoblaze Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 16, 2010
    I was so shocked at this news (okay a little exaggerated but it's to make a point). Star Wars has been the one franchise that I've heavily infested in ever since I was five. I have a ton of action figures (now stuffed in a box), books (including all the old Bantam ones like the Thrawn trilogy, Tales, Splinter of the Minds Eye, Bounty Hunter Trilogy, etc), played the games, and I have all the comics in trade form, etc. It outstrips my DC and Marvel books. Why? Because unlike DC and Marvel which always had Anti-Monitors, Superboy's, and Scarlet Witches to "reset" things Star Wars I could always count on to have a solid continuity. Yeah there were issues at times, but other authors were always willing to work those continuity issues out through their "Essential Guides" But I was always told, especially by Lucasfilm themselves that "these books, comics, games, etc ARE THE OFFICIAL CONTINUATION..." Now there is a very real possibility that Disney will invalidate everything I ever bought or read since I was a kid =(( I hope you all know how the Traviss people felt about the Mandos now :p

Some other, non personal, Initial semi-rational thoughts:

1. The EU. There better be an official word from Lucas or someone that the EU I literally grew up with is not going to be changed (too much to hope for when there's $ involved) or turned into a parallel universe or something (even then I'm refusing to ever buy any books or comics from the DSWU ever again because Star Wars will be just like DC and Marvel) I believe we EU fans who kept Lucas afloat in the years between Episodes III and I and that invested so much $ in the pre-Disney EU deserve that. (If nothing else at least eliminate TCW as well!!)

2. While it's great that with Disney's money and Pixar we can see really great films and games, there's a side of me that worries that we might see
    a) The extreme kiddification of Star Wars. So that stuff in the comics and games like the minor sex (Agent of the Empire, TOR, others) and violence and politics will be eliminated (something that worried me when Marvel was bought but luckily Disney seems to be totally hands off on their comic side and dabble a slight bit movie wise) and we get more "Star Wars Christmas Specials"
    b) The actual death of Star Wars as a franchise. In their efforts to make as much $ as possible from their new property I think that Disney might over play their hand and make too much Star Wars stuff so that everyone gets Star Wars fatigue and it becomes "oh ANOTHER Star Wars film...why's that popular again?" Look at the history of movie franchises Spider-man, X-Men, Robocop, Terminator, etc After the 2nd movie people get bored (unless it's Nolan and Batman). Even the recent "reboots" of classics like Planet of the Apes, Total Recall, etc have been flops.

3. Disney is notorious for suing everyone that doesn't give them $$ for anything Mickey related they create or even for using the image. Can we see a crackdown on forums like this, the 501st, and other fan sites/art? (probably not considering Marvel's been fine but still a possibility)

4. Yay!!! At least Lucas is gone!!! At the price of my continuity...but hey...

10. silverfighter

silverfighter Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 28, 2007
    Oh okay, thanks! And yes, you probably are one of the few. ;) I figured while I'm on here, I might as well try to find someone else who registered in the 90s too. Know Trika_Kenobi?

If Disney now owns Star Wars, does that mean that they have the rights to re-edit whatever they want in the movies? We already have Hayden Christensen showing up in Episode VI.

11. darksideyesplease

Feb 12, 2005
    Actually George has said on occasion that the books are not canon and that even some of the video games are more canon than the books he's allowed to be written.

The books rank somewhere just above fan fiction according to GL. It's the six movies, then everything else is just, bleh.

12. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    It's their intellectual property now, yes. However I don't see them making any edits outside of possibly the 20th Century Fox logo being replaced in any future re-distributions.

13. Norminator

Norminator Jedi Master star 2

Nov 2, 2009
    No. Disney does not own the rights to the old movies, according to some sources.

14. Thorn058

Thorn058 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 28, 2008
    I would think that as forward thinking as GL is that he would have language in the sale agreement that would limit, restrict or complete forbid any changes to the films without asking him first. I am sure he protected himself and his employees as well.

15. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    Darksideyesplease: you're facing a swarm saying that about EU,

around here they quote stuff like scripture

16. darksideyesplease

Feb 12, 2005
    This is a great move if that's true, cuz GL can still reap some monetary benefits from the Blu-Rays which have only been out a little over a year.

17. darksideyesplease

Feb 12, 2005

We haven't met, have we?

Do some research and you'll see why I couldn't care less.

Edit: But just so you know, my wife, FelsGoddess who is now deceased was huge into the EU. So I'm not trying to disrespect it. It's GL who says these things not me, just reminding people of what has been said in the past.

Disney isn't going to care what Troy Denning, Aaron Allston, Matt Stover, Timothy Zahn, or what anyone else has wrote in a book. Much the same way, George didn't really care as long as it sold and allowed for more books to be published.

18. DarthRichard77

DarthRichard77 Jedi Youngling

Oct 30, 2012
    People keep mentioning Marvel as point of pro and plus for this news as if Disney wrote and directed The Avengers. They didn't. Marvel Studios still makes the story decisions, Disney has little input other than cash flow. And though The Avengers was good, it's mainly due to a five movie setup. And much of those five movies were kinda mediocre (and this is coming from a longtime Marvel fan). Also, much of the Marvel Cinematic Universe is plucked from already existing material. Star Wars is a wholly original idea from the mind of one man, a man that has decided to step aside and allow someone else do the thinking. Say what you will about the prequels, but they still had Lucas. Is he the best writer. Even he admits, no. But he is a good story/concept developer.

Lucas has stated he's just going to sit back and "become a fan". If these next films are produced in the same manner as the Original Trilogy where Lucas put down an outline and proper writers and directors molded his ideas into something with universal heart (and as someone who doesn't hate the prequels, but can understand why some people don't exactly like them, I can admit there is a difference between prequels and original trilogy) than I'm sure more fans would feel more relaxed. It still comes down to the right decisions of the correct writer and the correct director chosen by Disney (man, that doesn't even sound right).

All I ask is please keep Christopher Nolan away from the Star Wars universe. I don't want a 'realistic' pseudo-psychological thriller Star Wars. Let Lucas' friends direct Episodes 7, 8, and 9. Spielberg. Scorsese. Coppola.

There's a cinematic culture to Star Wars that doesn't exist in a lot of popular movies that are out today, even the ones I like. Star Wars is strictly cinema. It's not an adaption of a comic book or a set of old or contemporary fantasy books. It's straight from the mind of a filmmaker. And it's the whole reason we have any of the comic book movies (and adaption of old/contemporary fantasy book series) out today, special effects-wise definitely. Star Wars, Lucas, was the herald of the Summer movies. It's the reason that many of the popular directors (and the not so popular directors) got into film making.

I hope Disney doesn't go the safe route and start plucking from EU books. Star Wars, for all its complexity is just the rise, fall, and redemption of Anakin Skywalker. In books, the universe can continue. On the big screen, it's a big question mark as to how the universe can continue without the main story to exist at its heart. Can it be done? We'll see.

_ThatJediScum_ likes this.
  19. 3PO

3PO Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 5, 2003
    Well this is a pleasant surprise.

Now maybe all the horrible decisions that I complained about years ago won't pop up again.

I can't wait :p

20. Slaign

Slaign Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 5, 2008
    To your first point, I doubt it will be the Disney castle. Like I said earlier, it will likely be under Touchstone pictures, where Disney releases more mature themed films. I don't know why you immediately assume Disney will axe the opening crawl. Why would they do that? What makes you think they would even have their hands so deep in the company as to make such a decision? Regardless, it's nonsense to me that these nuances make Star Wars what it is. I never had Fox fanfare play before a book, nor had an opening crawl, and I loved many a Star Wars book. I was always fine with the LucasArts logo instead of the Fox fanfare on my games, and those weren't any less Star Wars for it. This feels like reaching for a reason to justify negativity.

Avengers itself may not have existed as a film, but Disney wasn't in control for the entire build up starting with Iron Man. They brought it to a climax beautifully. Further, those comic books were just as important to many of us as Star Wars has been to you and many others, and they delivered. I don't see the relevance of the mediums involved. It further doesn't matter about the mediums because the crux of the argument isn't about how Disney made such a good film. It was about how Marvel was able to make such a good film under Disney. Disney had little to do with it. The point is Disney is going to allow LucasFilm the freedom and autonomy that they gave Marvel.

I personally like the prequels, and Ep 3 is my favorite of all the movies, so I agree I'm sick of people saying things like "well, they can't screw it up any worse." The idea that Disney is rushing this is a separate topic, but I don't think it's overly valid either. It's a lot easier to produce a sequel than it is an original IP. They also have Lucas' original treatments. It doesn't take that long to produce a script, the majority of the time invested in a movie is in shooting and editing. Good movies are produced in this time frame regularly. In fact, a movie taking longer than 3 years to develop would be the exception. You confuse the time Lucas took to make the movies with that time being used to develop them, and that's not the case. The time between Star Wars features had a lot more to do with Lucas not being the greatest fan of Star Wars. He was always of two minds about wanting to continue to work on them. Disney will find people with a true passion who pour their soul into this project over the course of it's development. 2.5 years is plenty of time.

Claiming you don't want to question people's "fandom" (and putting that in quotes) gives the impression of you doing just that. You claim that being excited for this news is like letting Disney throw crap at a screen and call it a movie. Where is your evidence? You have nothing to point at to say that they will produce a bad movie. There is no such evidence. Why is your "fandom" more pure for your willingness to throw Star Wars under the bus at this news before we even see whats going to happen? How is it not reasonable to just wait and see what happens before declaring Star Wars dead and making an avatar with an epitaph in it?

Let me be clear: I am not judging you for not being excited. That's your prerogative, and I have no more evidence that this will be a good thing. I am simply appalled at your judgmental tone, admonishing people for being excited at new prospects for the future. Again, I don't have evidence that this is a good thing, it was just announced and the results are not yet available for examination. All I have is a history to point to to show that the ideas of Disney meddling resulting in disaster may not be well founded. That doesn't mean things will be good, but I do think it means putting the nails in Star Wars' coffin is extremely premature.

I don't know why you seem to think we have to agree to mentally separate the future of Star Wars with it's past. I won't do that until they declare they are rebooting the series. Until then, any future will be built upon the foundations of the past. It may be a new saga or arc in the Star Wars history, but it's still Star Wars.

You seem to be under the impression that Disney is handling Star Wars now, and that simply isn't true. Disney is an investor in Star Wars. They may have a say in things, but they won't be getting their hands dirty. They bought LucasFilm so they could pay them to keep making Star Wars stuff and profit off of it. Star Wars will continue to be handled by LucasFilm, the only differences being Lucas himself will be in a lesser role (Kathleen Kennedy will take up his mantle, not Disney) and LucasFilm will have Disney resources to draw upon.

The Disney name is irrelevant in all of this. All that is relevant is that LucasFilm just signed a deal that means a huge influx of funding for future projects, and a restructuring so that they are equipped to take advantage of those resources to the fullest. Lucas didn't want to be in charge of producing more Star Wars, so he stepped down and handed the position off to a trusted friend. In order to give his successor the resources she needs to revitalize Star Wars, he signed a deal with Disney.

Disney is not making new Star Wars, LucasFilm is making new Star Wars with backing from Disney. It's an important distinction. It doesn't determine whether or not it will be good, and it doesn't remove your right to be pessimistic, but it is in fact important to base your opinions upon the proper framework.

21. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    oh I think you do know me, I certainly remember you anyway.

Anyway Boromirsfan has a good idea, someone Lucas knows might be good, Spielberg for example

BoromirsFan likes this.
  22. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    3PO is here too,

:eek:

might be an oppurtune time to log back in my old account..

23. darksideyesplease

Feb 12, 2005
    No, I don't know you. If I did before, I have forgotten. Sorry. Too much grief on my mind to remember most things.

Edit: Also I do know this is the internet where people will maim you through letters on their keyboards. Fortunately... sticks and stones.

24. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    I understand, and I'm sorry for your loss, really I am :)

25. Slaign

Slaign Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 5, 2008
    I hope you understand how insultingly condescending that sounds. People hold those movies to the same standard you do Star Wars, and see Star Wars as "just movies." That's a perfectly valid opinion. As a writer, Star Wars and Marvel were my two biggest influences, the things that made me realize I love story telling. To me, Star Wars and the Avengers are equally sacred, and you saying that the success of The Avengers is irrelevant because it's not as important is extremely insulting.

Your fandom is not the go to measure of how important something is to everyone else. There are many people who feel just as passionately about Tolkien or Marvel or Batman as you do about Star Wars. To suggest Star Wars be held to a higher standard because it's your favorite is just downright arrogant.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.