main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TV Discussion Official Live Action Series Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by LucasBuiltMeHotRod, Oct 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Schwarma

Schwarma Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    I just wondered if they may hold off in case the audience gets confused about a show set between Sith & New Hope and a trilogy set after ROTJ

2. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    It'd be nice to see it, but who knows if they will dig it up.

3. TheVortex3

TheVortex3 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 24, 2012
    I doubt that they will hold off on it because a live action show would be a huge money maker and a lot of fans have wanted a live action show for years.

4. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I hope they decide to go with it.

5. Schwarma

Schwarma Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    Yes, I guess the statement from KK about there being significant demand for more SW would certainly suggest that they'll be a bit more directed in putting out good quality content (rather then sitcom cartoons) so that they can really make it the biggest franchise in the world. I can certainly see them going down the Star Trek route, with movies going on ad infinitum and perhaps more than one live action TV show, รก la DS9, Voyager, Enterprise and so on..

TheVortex3 likes this.
  6. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    With a reported $50 million budget needed to produce just a single episode of these scripts Disney is going to need a substantially larger viewer base than the couple of million fans aware of the project, a good portion of whom are from international territories and will end up seeking episodes through other means. If the current treatment doesn't have enough to appeal to a large array of viewers then it's not going to get made.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  7. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    If anything, this will speed up the process.

InterestingLurker likes this.
  8. General_Un-Co

General_Un-Co Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 9, 2010
    I would say that the live action series is now more likely than ever, the issue has been for roughly 5 years now that lucas is ready to go but the finacing was never there, so with Disney's money behind the franchise and a desire to make money off their 4billion dollar investment there is no reason not to expect this. And don't underestimated the branding power of "written by George Lucas" as the LAS script may be his last major contribution to SW. BUT I also think that there will be a much longer wait than before. The live action series could potentially be competition for this new sequel trilogy (*shudders* at the thought) and with the LAS set during the dark times and the sequel series post ROTJ, the fan base is stretched between two eras (perhaps even 3 if TCW is still around in a couple of years). While having two simultaneous time periods being expanded may not seem like a big deal from a branding point of view it becomes very impractical. Selling action figures focusing on one cartoon covering a few years in the timeline is relatively easy, keeping action figures for 9 movies and two TV shows in production would be a nightmare.

9. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012

For me this series is pretty much DEAD.

1. It was supposed to be really dark and serious - Disney is not that. They have done dark stuff but not too dark.
    2. It was supposed to be about Hutt mafia and crime, I do not associate Disney with mafia films. LOL
    3. It does not feel like the blockbuster material Disney wants to release every 3 years.
    4. I doubt Disney would like to go the Lucas route and pay 5 million per episode or 50 mill as stated above - that is too costly for them.
    5. So far we have been hearing mainly about that Disney is interested in creating New Live-Action movies, not live-action shows.

10. Ballowall

Ballowall Jedi Youngling

Oct 31, 2012
  11. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    A live action show might be more likely, but I don't see the Underworld concept as Lucas envisioned going down with Disney. They're going to want feel good heroes like Luke and huge swashbuckling adventures, not a PG-13 Deadwood in space/talky 40s noir that focuses on fringe characters.

12. Senator Kelberry

Senator Kelberry Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 22, 2010
    I suppose it depends largely on what you mean by 'dark'. Sure, things released under the Disney label are pretty tame, but don't forget that the Walt Disney Company also distributes films under the 'Touchstone Pictures' label, and also used to release pictures under the 'Hollywood Pictures' label. Pictures that included such films as The Rock, Crimson Tide, The Hand that Rocks the Cradle, The Sixth Sense, Con Air, Starship Troopers... ...the list goes on and on.

And while most of these films and others were merely co-productions with other firms and/or only distributed by Disney, I still feel confident that Disney isn't afraid to get their hands dirty especially if they keep releasing under their brand new label, Lucasfilm, and not their own, which I think they are likely to do.

For me personally, as far as a TV series goes, I feel better about the prospects now, especially if WDC doesn't mind sacrificing some of Lucas' production values. I'm fine with a LAS that doesn't look like EpIII...as long as it isn't so cheap it looks like the original Battlestar Galactica. I'm sure they can find a half-way point.

TreborSabreon and Seerow like this.
  13. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I never really expected a very dark show. Perhaps a show consistently with a tone similar to ESB's (if that's really considered 'dark' - relative to the rest of Star Wars). But I never expected anything too dark. I just don't think there would be a large enough audience for such a show to keep it viable, especially when they are speculating as to how much it would cost per episode. Kids are pretty much the mainstay of the Star Wars audience, and there are already the parents that won't let their kids watch ROTS or raise concerns over even TCW's darker episodes. I don't think they would alienate that whole segment of the audience for something too dark or adult.

14. DM99

DM99 Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 26, 2012
    Disney and Star Wars does not fit together. In the Future Star Wars will bleed out and become a second Disneyworld without any soul or character. Just an entertainment Zombie like Mickey M.

[face_sick]

15. Ballowall

Ballowall Jedi Youngling

Oct 31, 2012
    That sucks so bad because that's more along the lines of the kind of show I'd love to see. A darker show about rebels surviving and fighting an impossibly massive and cruel empire would have been sweet under the right people. With Disney its gonna be more "Adventures of Anakin and friends" type stuff.

16. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Pirates of the Carribean was pretty close. And had its grim moments- a child being hanged, in film 3.

17. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    Ugh, this is my main fear regarding the new developments. I can live with Disney distributing SW material but I don't want them to manipulate the types of stories that come out of Lucasfilm. Just because SW is considered a "family franchise" doesn't mean that kids are the only focus. TCW on Disney XD? [face_sick]

18. Ballowall

Ballowall Jedi Youngling

Oct 31, 2012
    But lets face it that movie was terribly stupid as a whole.

19. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    It could be released on ABC prime-time for adults.

20. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012

All is well and good but in the end does anybody think that Disney would like to follow Lucas's plan of dozens of millions per episode?!

21. Darth-Horax

Darth-Horax Force Ghost star 6

Aug 22, 2001
    I'm hoping Disney will make it a reality.
    However, I"m MORE excited about a potential SW themed park in the future. Disney has spoken several times to expending DL with a thrid park in Anaheim...this would rock.

22. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    Then why haven't people complained about the Disney-Lucasfilm collaborations like Star Tours & Star Wars Weekends?

23. DM99

DM99 Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 26, 2012
    they were SILENCED.

but there is a lot of people which does not like this lousy made freakshow called star tours. ever saw that ventress actress there?

Its horryfying.

[​IMG]

Mickey mouse comes to mind. Or FRANKENSTEIN.

24. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Anakin looked like Shaggy from Scooby Doo at Star Wars Weekend. I trust any live action show would do better than that with make up for any character.

DM99 likes this.
  25. Spazmatron

Spazmatron Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 19, 2012
    Remember that Jedi from the original clone wars when grevious appeared? He looked like shaggy lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.