main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Combat Evolved: The Halo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by BISMARCK, May 21, 2002.

1. BLemelisk

BLemelisk Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 19, 2003
    Sorry for the double post, but "Scanned" has premiered!

2. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Sweet trailer...I so wish I could feel really enthused about this game though...

3. BLemelisk

Aug 19, 2003
    It really is a good trailer. I'm waiting with bated breath to see if they can keep the mystery of the Forerunner going the way Bungie had crafted it.

4. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    Anyone watching the Forward Unto Dawn webseries? It's well done setting-wise, though I'm not quite sold on some of the actors being in training to be ODSTs. Eps 1 & 2 are kinda slow, exposition-y stuff, but the last 5 or so minutes of Ep 3 is pretty much perfect live-action Halo :cool:

5. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I was worried the CGI was going to look terrible, but I was proven wrong. It's got some very solid visuals so far. FUD is pretty entertaining overall, I may get the blu-ray release as well as the digital download copy that comes with the Halo 4 collector's set, but only if the on-disc version has some decent extras. I'm interested to see how they made this little series.

6. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I am watching Forward Unto Dawn, just caught up on part three today.

7. BLemelisk

Aug 19, 2003
    Yeah episode 3 is solid gold. Plus the preview for next week's episode looks great.

They got the feel of the chaos of a surprise attack nailed.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  8. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Haven't seen part 3 for FUD yet, but it's been good so far. I have a question though. I thought the collector's edition of Halo 4 had a physical copy of it and not a download copy. Can someone confirm/deny/etc?

9. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    I've enjoyed FUD so far but Ep. 3 was definitely the best yet. I particularly enjoyed the schizo Rampant Corty prologue. Extremely creepy and poignant at the same time, if only to show just how far John's only friend had gone off the deep end.

BLemelisk likes this.
  10. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    Disappointed to see that Martin O'Donnell and Michael Salvatori aren't doing the soundtrack for Halo 4. Probably my stand-out memory from the series is their score for the games, which have been superb.

11. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Probably because they are still (?) Bungie employees, whereas Halo 4 is not a Bungie production.

12. BLemelisk

Aug 19, 2003
    The less electronica the better, I say. What I've listened to has sounded pretty decent, but I don't know if it will have the sticking power that O'Donnell's scores have had.

13. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    Yeah, that was my guess. Still disappointing.

14. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Perhaps. I'm hoping that at least the classic Halo or MC themes will feature in one way or another.

New gameplay trailer:

Dear MS, 343i

[​IMG]

15. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    FUD pt 4's awesomeness and badassery cannot be described with words ^:)^

Perfectly conveys the feelings when facing invisible, sword-wielding Elites.[face_nail_biting]

Darth_Invidious and Chewgumma like this.
  16. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Not to mention is a clever way off keeping the CGI costs down. :p

Seriously though, it was a great episode. I was really skeptical about how FUD was going to look and feel, but they've done a really good job with the resources they were given. It really feels like a global invasion, and yet we've only seen two frigates, one or two elites and three jackals. They've cleverly used their resources to create something really big, when in actuality there isn't that much going on on screen.=D=

EDIT:

I felt the same way. But having listened to the Halo 4 soundtrack I think Neil Davidge is a great replacement and made a wise choice in going in his own direction rather than trying to copy Marty's style. While I don't think there is anything here that rivals the classic Halo theme he has produced stuff that is on par with Winter Contingency and the ODST theme, tracks that I absolutely adore.

17. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    The first four parts of Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn have gotten better and better with each successive episode.

18. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    I really wish I could agree with you regarding the score. The few bits I've heard have left me cold.

Davidge's compositions aren't bad, but the tone of the score seems so drastically different from Marty's style. Too Hollywoody and not enough Halo-y. That's the best way I could describe it. I dunno, but I guess either that score will grow on me or it simply won't.

19. BLemelisk

Aug 19, 2003
    I'm making sure not to listen to everything before I roll through that campaign on solo Legendary, but I have listened to "To Galaxy" and "Arrival." I think both were utterly fantastic. But they definitely don't feel super unique, but definitely capture some epic scifi scope.

20. jediknightleia

jediknightleia Jedi Grand Master star 2

Aug 28, 2002
    I'm getting but I still haven't preordered it [face_plain]

21. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    I definitely want to get this, even though I will still only be playing half a game, as I said earlier in this thread. Preordering just isn't something I do.

22. BLemelisk

Aug 19, 2003
    One of my friends has a similar situation as you. But take heart, Halo campaigns have a level of replayability that I just normally don't see in other games, to be honest.

For some reason I find myself slogging through endless deaths to complete Halo campaigns on the toughest difficulties, they're pretty much the only games I do that with.

23. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    No kidding, I have done the "endless deaths" grind in order to beat Halo 3 and Halo 3: ODST on Legendary, and I just started Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary on Heroic. Skulls are also another facet of the replayability of Halo, though I sure can't handle Mythic yet. Splitscreen, a dying concept in recent years, is basically the only way I have to play multiplayer. I will definitely play many Halo games many more times to come in the coming years.

Halo has left a tremendous impression on me, since I finally got to play Halo games on a regular basis, instead of the likes of only briefly playing the first level of Halo 3, shortly after it was released, when someone brought it to school during my senior year.

BLemelisk likes this.
  24. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I got an email this morning saying that my preorder with GAME was cancelled! :_| Turns out my card was declined so they cancelled the order. Cue frantic panicking and much searching on the internets for another copy of the limited edition. I found one but it was all a bit too stressful! :_|

25. BLemelisk

Aug 19, 2003
    Limiteds in the US have been gone since late August practically. Except from Walmart, but they're overpricing it. Looks like standard edition for me.