main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation C3PO And R2D2 May Be The Only OS Characters Included?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by G-FETT, Oct 31, 2012.

1. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I'm sure I remember reading an interview from the late 70's where George Lucas roughly outlined his ideas for the Star Wars saga from Episode I to XII.

In this article I'm sure George said the only characters that would feature in all twelve movies would be R2 and 3PO and that ultimately the Star Wars saga would be seen as being told by the robots as they are the only constant characters throughout the whole thing.

Anybody remember that interview? Anybody Lucasfilm/Disney will stick to this idea?

2. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I doubt they'll be the only original characters included, but it's not entirely unlikely that they might have a larger role than the Big Three.

3. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Is Kenny Baker still alive?

4. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    They're the Rosencrantz and Guildenstern of the saga, they'll be in it. They're one of the central aspects of the saga. Guarantee Anthony Daniels will return as C3PO, and R2D2 doesn't need to be played by anyone, other than a midget.

5. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Nearly eighty, but he is.

6. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    But Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are dead!

JackG and KED12345 like this.
  7. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    I would personally like to see Mark Hamill in a limited role playing an old crabby Luke Skywalker.

8. TheLateAdmiralPiett

TheLateAdmiralPiett Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 1, 2004
    Yes, he's still alive. He just turned 78, I believe.

Honestly though while we're on the subject, if the big 3 (and Lando) are in these new films at all, they'll likely have to be recast. At least in Harrison's case, as I seriously doubt he'll be onboard, even if Lucas begged for him to do it. I can see Mark, Carrie and Billy Dee doing cameos though.

9. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    They better be in the movies. There needs to be one constant and it should be them!

10. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    I vaguely recall that article GFett but as much as I want everyone back, I really want a fresh story. Which could include r2 and 3po. But the others I'd be happy to hear about them in passing.

You received this Ninja message from Tapatalk

11. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I don't think they even used Kenny for AOTC and ROTS.

R2 these days is entirely remote controlled or CGI'd. Lucas just gave him the credit (and presuambly some royalties?) on AOTC and ROTS because he is (against the public perception) a very nice, generous guy.

12. lavjoricso

lavjoricso Force Ghost star 4

May 25, 2001
    I think it's a safe bet that c-3po and r2 will be in all three sequels (can actually see that being something Lucas insisted on when giving the property over to disney) but i think at least a couple more original characters will return, especially secondary characters like Admiral Ackbar and co who could be played by anyone due to the animatronics.

I think a fiew surprise returns will happen in Episode VIII.

13. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    I think the likelihood is incredibly high that we see Luke in at least one of the new films and Artoo and Threepio in all 3.

14. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I guess what someone should probably do is go back to all those Star Wars (1977) publicity interviews Lucas and Kurtz did and try and pin down exactly what they said about Episode's VII to XII. My mind is dusty now, but I know theres a lot of stuff out there from the late 70's where Lucas talks about the sequel trilogies.

15. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I vaguely recall reading that about R2 and 3PO. I wouldn't mind them in it as a tie together. I'm not exactly sure where I stand on the big three (knowing Harrison would never do it). At the VERY least I hope they are mentioned, though I think I would like to see a Luke cameo.

16. darkmole

darkmole Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 2, 2000
    Kenny Baker is still alive and lives not too far from me. I've seen him in town before. Of course he doesn't need to be involved at all. I guess Chewbacca could be in it too, and of course with force ghosts there's no reason why Luke, Anakin, Yoda and even Leia couldn't be involved.

17. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    double post

18. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    triple post

19. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    If there was only to be one thing I would definitely want to see in E7, it would R2 & 3PO.

Darth McClain likes this.
  20. Darth_Martus

Darth_Martus Jedi Knight star 1

May 11, 2011
    Yeah, I think R2 and 3PO are the only character we can bank on being in EP. 7.

21. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    R2D2 and 3PO fine, but I hope it's in the future far enough not to have the big three as characters. Granted a couple cameo Force-ghosts or holograms *coughQui-Goncough* would be fun to link to the other films and give us a bit of a thrill.

22. yodasbum

yodasbum Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 4, 2004
    How many OT characters made it to the OT? 12 Owen Beru Kenobi Tarkin died SW Yoda Palpatine Boba Jabba Vader died Jedi Chewie R2D2 C3PO survived. Not many if these had more than cameos. Any others?

So I expect few to be included in ST but for sure: Chewie, R2 and C 3PO

Luke

Would like: Lando Liea Han if only for brief cameos and stoic deaths that propel the action on.

Possible: Ackbar Kenobi Yoda Anakin Jar Jar (how old do Gungans get?)

Outside: clones/Maul

23. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Artoo and Threepio as the connecting tissue would be my ideal scenario.

24. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    If this will truly be the trilogy that (in Lucas' words) conveys "Passing on what you have learned", then I think it is highly reasonable to see a functioning Jedi Council with not only Luke, but ghosts of Yoda & Obiwan. It's not like spirituality and the afterlife haven't been prominently featured in the other films.

25. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Reminds me of when people thought the Jedi holograms in the ROTS Council were Force ghosts, lol

I don't like the idea of Force ghosts doing mundane things like sitting on a Council. Diminishes their effect.