main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Official Sequel Trilogy - Let the Wild Speculation Begin!!!!

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Jedi Merkurian , Oct 31, 2012.

1. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    What We Probably Won’t See

Much as I love the Thrawn Trilogy, and loathe the Vong, Lucasfilm has a history of ignoring EU material. I doubt we’ll be seeing any adaptations of novels.

What We Might See

“the Son of Skywalker.” Will he be named Ben? Dunno. But the overall saga involves fathers and sons.

What We’ll Probably See

Luke Skywalker has to die. At this point, he’ll be the Obi-Wan of the story.

2. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
  3. JediHanuman

JediHanuman Jedi Youngling

Oct 31, 2012
    Yes, yes. I know. He's dead.
    But Darth Vader is arguably the most popular and most marketable Star Wars character.
    I can't imagine Disney doing an Episode VII without Darth Vader in it.
    Perhaps Luke will get seriously injured and have to don an the Darth Vader armor to keep himself alive and do good, or maybe they clone Vader, or..... but I think it is unthinkable from a business standpoint to do a new Star Wars movie without Darth Vader.
    Again, this isn't Lucas telling his story, but Disney hoping to generate as much $$$ as possible.
    I'm sure standalone Vader movies occurring between III-IV are not a pipe dream anymore, but I can't imagine Disney not finding a way to get Darth Vader back into the story of upcoming episodes..
    I do think they are going to completely disregard the EU.
    Anyone disagree?

4. Whitey

Whitey Jedi Master star 6

Jan 26, 2003
    No.

5. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Hard to see how Luke could put on the suit given that it went up in flames at the end of ROTJ.

I'm fearing Darth Vader and Palpy Clones personally. ;)

6. Darth_Martus

Darth_Martus Jedi Knight star 1

May 11, 2011
    Nah. Can't see it.

7. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I can.

8. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Not sure that we're disagreeing here...

Darth_Articulate likes this.
  9. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    I'm curious as to whether he'll be using much of what his old plans were for a sequel trilogy, or doing something entirely fresh.

Also, Third Death Star. You know it's coming.

morrison85 likes this.
  10. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    I don't think they will bring Darth Vader back and I hope they don't. It ruins RoTJ if they do.

You received this Ninja message from Tapatalk

11. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    I think it is unthinkable from a business standpoint to do a new Star Wars movie without Darth Vader.

The highest (Not adjusted for inflation) grossing movie of the series has no mention of Darth Vader.

12. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Here's what we currently know concerning the ST and this film:
    1) It IS a continuation of the existing Saga (all you need to do to discern this is to go watch the video that is the first thing you see when you go to the Official Star Wars website)
    2) Kathleen Kennedy is overseeing it and had the 'baton' personally passed to her by Lucas (again, the only thing you need to do to discern this is to watch the above-mentioned video)
    3) Lucas gave Kennedy story treatments for the trilogy (again, all you need to go to discern this is to watch the above-mentioned video)
    4) There is existing information out there from years past concerning the Sequel Trilogy and its contents
    5) The stories of the trilogy will be original in that they will not be direct adaptations of any existing EU material
    6) The stories of the trilogy will more than likely be based at least in part on the above-mentioned story treatments

Any assertions/speculations to the contrary of what I just posted just don't 'gel' with what we know.

Engaging in some speculation, I think the likelihood is rather high that we see Luke come back, along with Artoo and Threepio, and that we see at least one character who fills the same role that EU characters like Jacen, Jaina, Anakin Solo, and Ben Skywalker do; there is no guarantee that said character(s) will in fact be basic representations of their EU counterparts, nor do I believe that they ought to be; it would be perfectly acceptable for a new character (or characters) to be created to fill the role that said characters occupy.

I also think we'll see at least one EU plot element utilized (likely the establishment of a New Jedi Order and possibly the Second Galactic Civil War), although probably only in the most basic sense. Lucas likes symmetry, and although he's no longer going to be directly involved with the films' production/development, it strikes me as being highly unlikely that there will be a significant stylistic change in terms of the new trilogy, which means that things will probably remain consistent thematically, which means that we will probably see some type of galaxy-wide conflict (possibly a Second Galactic Civil War, as mentioned above) into which our hero or heroes are thrust and in which they play a prominent role.

13. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    I'm hoping it is about a character named Cade Skywalker...

14. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    ^ If existing EU characters such as Cade, Jacen, Jaina, Anakin Solo, or Ben appear, they will probably be 'in name only' or only resemble their EU counterparts in the most basic fashion.

15. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    I don't see this happening either to be honest

at least I hope not

16. Wesley Smith

Wesley Smith Jedi Padawan

Oct 30, 2012
    I agree that Luke will be in the Ep. VII and will play the "Ben Kenobi" mentor role. I also believe that he will die at the midpoint of the movie, with a new Sith Lord making his "debut" by striking Luke down (there is great potential in this being very effective and moving, imho). My own hope is that Luke is the only recurring human character in Ep. VII, as this doesn't need to be a trip down Nostalgia Lane. Killing Luke early in a new trilogy (even early in Ep. VII) will set the new trilogy off in an exciting new direction. I'm not sure about any Solo or Skywalker children, as I do believe the Skywalker saga has been told and that chapter should be closed. I'm more amenable to seeing one of the Solo children being a main character. Just my two cents...

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  17. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    I'd like to see the ST echo the OT. That is were the PT really fudged up, it needs to be feel old, and new again at the same time. Whoever the main character is for the ST, his story needs to echo Luke Skywalker's story. The ST was always envisioned to be about Luke passing the torch.

We need to know what happens to Luke Skywalker and the rest of the cast. Luke may very well die in these movies, perhaps early on, and become one with the force as Anakin, Obi-Wan, and Yoda did.

Or, they could have Luke Skywalker's descendent take a 'Heroes Journey', similar to Cade Skywalker, with Luke appearing as a Force Ghost to aid our hero. The circle would truly be complete. I think at this time, the best way to do this is the latter, focus on another character a hundred years after ROTJ.

18. miDnIghtEr20C

miDnIghtEr20C Jedi Grand Master star 1

Dec 21, 1999
    Since Vader comes back in spirit at the end of RotJ, I'd say it's a good guess they'll be bringing him back in spirit form somehow.

19. Darth_Martus

Darth_Martus Jedi Knight star 1

May 11, 2011
    It DOES have his breathing at the end of the credits though :p

20. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    No, he didn't. Anakin Skywalker did. :p

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  21. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    Why do so many assume that Mark Hamill will be in Episode VII? Has he announced any desire to reprise the role?

22. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    An aging Han Solo is finally releases from prison. He's picked up by an aging Luke Skywalker. They learn that the New Republic Bank is foreclosing on the local Jedi orphanage. They decide to "get the old gang" back together to raise the money for the orphanage. Meanwhile, a bitter princess Leia, left at the alter by Han decades earlier, follows them with an arsenal of high-powered weapons, intent on taking out Han Solo once and for all. Hilarity ensues.

23. WhinyLuke

WhinyLuke Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 22, 2012
    What do we know as FACTS right now? Anything? Is it to soon tell? When they say Ep7 do they mean "its the 7th Star Wars movie" and anything (being it could take place before PT, between PT/OT or years after OT). If I am right all we know for a FACT is a 7th movie is planned right? That its now up to disney to come up with a idea based/story and go from there.

24. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    "Coruscant Nazis."

"... I hate Coruscant Nazis."

PrincessKenobi likes this.
  25. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Disney has officially referred to it as "Star Wars Episode 7."

Make of that what you will.

Riven_JTAC likes this.