main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social Taking our kids to see the new Trilogy

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by swguru2004, Oct 31, 2012.

1. swguru2004

swguru2004 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2003
    As a new father, who was a kid right as the Special Editions were released in theaters, I never in a million years thought that I would have the opportunity to take my children to see a NEW Star Wars film on the big screen.

I am so exited. Kaylie will be 4 years old when Episode VII is released and MJ will be 2.

What do you all think about being able to experience this through the eyes of your children.

2. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I have two boys, eight years apart. I took the oldest to see Attack of the Clones. In summer 2015, my youngest will be almost exactly the age I was when I first saw Star Wars in spring of 77. We've done some Star Wars mind-melding over the Clone War tv series, and we're both looking forward to this.

thesevegetables likes this.
  3. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    If you think this is something, just wait until you're watching the second sequel trilogy with them.

4. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Yes, if I take both boys to E7, that will be three generations of Star Wars fans. Me and the OT, my oldest son and the PT, and my youngest son and the ST.

5. miDnIghtEr20C

miDnIghtEr20C Jedi Grand Master star 1

Dec 21, 1999
    I too thought of this exact thing. I have a 1 and a half year old, and another boy being born around the second of December. First thing I thought was how by the time episode 8 comes out, and for sure 9... I'll be able to take them both to go watch them. I'm 37 next year. I NEVER thought I'd be taking my kids to see NEW star wars movies in the theaters. This is really great.

6. lavjoricso

lavjoricso Force Ghost star 4

May 25, 2001
    One of the first things i thought of when i heard the news was that i'll be able to take my two sons to see Star Wars on the big screen. My oldest will be 7 and the youngest 4 when the first one comes out... it's going to be great to see their faces when the title crawl hits.

7. President Kenobi

President Kenobi Jedi Youngling

Oct 31, 2012
    My oldest was only 2 when ROTS came out so I didn't get to take him in the theater. He will be 12 when episode VII comes out and my other 2 kids will be 8 and 6. I can't wait to take them to see these movies. If they get released every 3 years my oldest will be an adult when the last one comes out. Scary thought.

8. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    It's possible I may be taking a grandchild to see them. :D :D

TreborSabreon and tom like this.
  9. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    I had similar thoughts about my own two kids. They'll be 8 and 5 respectively. If the movie is PG, and I bet it will be, then they will both be there with me opening night. If my (future) 8 year old wants to come with me to the midnight show, I think I'll let him. It'll be great to see them watching the movie. They're both big SW fans now. I can't imagine how excited they'll be when it hits in 2-3 years.

10. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i took my kids to see the prequels. i'm afraid they won't trust me anymore.

just kidding, they liked them for the most part. my kids will be 19 and 16 when episode 7 comes out. whoa.

11. fettmaster39

fettmaster39 Jedi Master star 3

Jun 9, 2005
    And this my friends is the beauty of it all!

-polymath- likes this.
  12. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    Man... I probably not having kids till episode 10... :( (I am only in Middle School).
    Edit: lol

fettmaster39 likes this.
  13. lavjoricso

lavjoricso Force Ghost star 4

May 25, 2001
    I was thinking about the opening night screening with my oldest... i think i'll take him. I took my cousin (who is now 20) to see Clones and Sith at midnight (Menace opened two months after the states here in the u.k) and he was saying just a couple of weeks ago how he loves the fact he was taken to see them with all the fans at an event viewing.

I'll see what the wife says ;)

14. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I have one boy who is 6 now. He'll be 8 1/2 when the first one comes out. I think the bonding experience we are gonna be able to have is the biggest thing I am looking forward to. He already like Star Wars through the lego games and tv show. This should be fun for the both of us.

15. morrison85

morrison85 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 13, 2005
    hm mine will only be 3 years old(or 2.5 when ever the movie is coming out, so thats a little young- but by the time IX comes out they surely get to see that one in cinema :p

16. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    Please don't take him at three. :)

17. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    Why? I've been taking my son to movies since he was that young. As long as you actually pay attention to your kids what's to worry about?

18. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    A. Violence. You can decide this for yourself, but we don't really know where the sequels are going yet. They could be darker than Episode Three.
    B. understanding. I would not have liked the movies nearly as much if I'd seen them at three. I wouldn't have understood as much, and the revelations wouldn't have been as surprising. My sister saw them when she was young, and doesn't like the movies as much, because she always knew everything.
    C. Violence. Movies can be scary for little ones. Again, that may not affect these movies but its something to consider. I hope you didn't take your child to Dark Knight Rises, for example.

In other words, it's not "don't take your child to see movies" but "be careful of their appropriateness and your child's readiness to understand them. Don't spoil the movies, as well. They should be old enough to get the surprises, etc. second grade is probably a good time, in my opinion.

19. morrison85

May 13, 2005
    Well I don't , but as said, in time episode IX is out she should be old enough :p

I am not into taking young kids to see movies(or tv for that sake) if they can't understand anything .

20. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    Good. I'm just agreeing. She'll be...around nine then, probably. Unless I can't count/there are delays, right? That's probably a good time, but start with the OT, of course. After that, I don't know if PT or ST. It's so confusing! Especially since little ones probably shouldn't see ROTS.

21. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    I don't let my son see anything over PG. Maybe a PG-13 movie if its on cable with editing. I think Star Wars will be fine for my son at almost 9 when he watches them now at 6. I would never take him to Dark Knight it's too adult. There are parents that can't get away without bringing their kids unfortunately for them.

22. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    The movies will probably be fine then, as I attempted to say.
    I misinterpreted you. Unfortunately, people do that. They really shouldn't. Obviously.

And a lot of my point was that the movies might have more impact if they don't watch them at three.

23. morrison85

May 13, 2005
    I am only going to show OT , and when the ST is out I am going to see how good it is [face_devil]

Our Rating is entirely age based so we have free for all, next one is 6 years, 12, years, 16 years, and 18 years, and some movies have quite a different rating in the US than here as US ratings more often allow more violence, and European movies allow more nudity. (so if a film has naked people in it, but no physcial or psychological violence , or erotica then it is likely to be free from 12 for example.

24. LANDOROCKS

LANDOROCKS Jedi Knight

Oct 30, 2012
    My kid will be 5 so I doubt he will make the first Ep7

25. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    Maybe IX, though...