main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation The Music of Star Wars Episode VII

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by -polymath-, Oct 31, 2012.

1. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    So we know that with the franchise moving to Disney, Fox will not be distributing Episode VII. That means the 20th Century Fox fanfare is out. That's a significant change. When I was a kid whenever my parents would pop a VHS in and the fanfare would start I would always assume it was Star Wars. It's still weird to hear the fanfare and not see a Star Wars movie afterward.

The real question is whether John Williams should score the movie. His scores, at least for the first three films, are amazing. His scores for the most recent movies were, imo, lesser works. He's getting older and it might be time for him to step aside just like Lucas. There are plenty of talented musicians who could make his/her respective name with scoring a Star Wars film. I don't want someone like Hans Zimmer, Gabriel Yared, James Howard, etc. to score this puppy. I say that either Williams returns or it's given over to some nascent prodigy in the music industry.

So is it time for Williams to go? Should an established name get to score? Should it be a newbie?

Padme501st likes this.
  2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I know, let's give it to Danny Elfman!

[​IMG]

3. Darth_Martus

Darth_Martus Jedi Knight star 1

May 11, 2011
    I'd like Alexandre Deplat. I think he did a good job with the last two Harry Potter films. Howard Shore is awesome but I don't know if he'd be right for Star Wars.

John Williams previous music has to be used.

We still have to have the main theme (unaltered) and the opening crawl for any live action Star Wars films.

Padme501st and Summer Dreamer like this.
  4. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    If episodes 7, 8, and 9 are meant to tie in with the first 6, then John Williams should stay if possible. From what I understand, they plan on making other Star Wars films beyond 7,8, and 9. Leave those for other composers.

5. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    :eek: I didn't even think about not having the 20th century Fox fanfare. It's just not Star Wars without it! :_|

But I think I would still like to see Williams do it. He's done some of the most iconic movie music ever and I don't think it would sound like Star Wars without him. (Especially loosing the Fox fanfare... I'm really upset about that, now.)

6. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    Re: opening crawl--absolutely. There are some themes that are inherently Star Wars. The opening fanfare for the crawl is a must.

codex of tython and Darth_Martus like this.
  7. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Seriously though, I'd prefer Williams, but if they can't get him, I think John Ottman would work - he did a pretty good job pretending to be Williams for Superman Returns, regardless of the... er... state... of the rest of the film.

8. lavjoricso

lavjoricso Force Ghost star 4

May 25, 2001
    John Williams will be 83 years old when Episode VIII gets released... i can't see him doing any of the score for the new trilogy. I don't really mind who replaces him, so long as it's John Williams-esque and fits with the previous 6 movies.

9. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I've never really taken particular note of the music while actually watching the films, so I'm fine either way.

10. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012

That is all.

Panakas_Dawg likes this.
  11. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
  12. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    this was one of the first things picked up on yesterday, don't venture out fanfic a lot do you? :p

fishtailsam likes this.
  13. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    My favorite composers outside of John Williams are Howard Shore, Alexandre Desplat, Harry Gregson-Williams, and Nicholas Hooper, and I'd love to see any one of those 4 take on the job.

14. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Nicholas Hooper... oh god.

15. Jango_Fett21

Apr 9, 2002
    ^ What? Hooper's score for Order of the Phoenix was excellent.

16. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    John Williams. It's GOT to be John Williams!

17. Antlers

Antlers Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    While he certainly doesn't "fit" with the John Williams crowd, no other composer makes me think of Star Wars more than Philip Glass.

18. Darth_Martus

Darth_Martus Jedi Knight star 1

May 11, 2011
    No, he was by far the worst of the Potter composers. There was something to jazzy about everything. The only good stuff was In Noctem and Farewell to Dumbledore.

19. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    LOL!
    There were all kinds of threads going yesterday, I guess it wasn't really in the ones I was reading or it's entirely possible I just missed it. Also I was too busy freaking out about what this means for this place, the 501st/Rebel Legion, etc. (I've decided not to worry about it for the moment. )

These thoughts might be panned by those who really know soundtracks but what about Patrick Doyle or Hans Zimmer?

Sistros likes this.
  20. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    Hans Zimmer would be good. Loved his work on Pirates of the Caribbean.

Padme501st likes this.
  21. Jango_Fett21

Apr 9, 2002
    I did like Doyle's score for Goblet of Fire, so I'd take him as well as the 4 I mentioned above.

22. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Alexandre Deplat did do a great job with the last two Harry Potter movies, and he knows how to mix and refurbish John Williams' music too.

Darth_Martus likes this.
  23. sethg

sethg Manager Emeritus star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 2012
    if they approach anyone other than williams i think it'll be michael giacchino. they already had him compose the score for star tours.

24. Fish On The Sand

Fish On The Sand Jedi Youngling

Oct 30, 2012
    Without a doubt. Even if they end up with a new composer in later installments, John Williams needs to at least be a part of the first films or they simply cannot call it "Episode VII." If it has a Roman Numeral, the film most also have John Williams. It's quite simple. A Non-numeral (spinoff, like The Clone Wars) film could have any composer, but not a film that directly connects to the one, unified Star Wars Saga. It's been said many times over (and repeatedly by Lucas) that the original Star Wars was simply lackluster before John Williams' score was added. Heck the original film likely would never have gotten a sequel in the first place without Williams. Just imagine Star Wars with no music or worse yet, the original Star Wars with a sub-par 1970s film soundtrack...Into a dark place this line of thought will carry us.

Also, Williams most definitely did NOT run out of steam/creative juice/skill/talent/excellence with his scores for episodes I-III. Duel of the Fates, Anakin's Theme, Across the Stars, Battle of the Heroes, Anakin's Dark Deeds...all of these moments were enhanced with Williams' music. If George has ANY sway at all being creative consultant, he should call up John Williams right away.

25. Jango_Fett21

Apr 9, 2002
    Williams should definitely be approached as the first option; however, given his age, I don't know if doing the scores for the films is going to be a viable option for him, and if it isn't, they're going to have no choice but to go to someone else.