main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation The Music of Star Wars Episode VII

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by -polymath-, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Blip

Blip Jedi Master star 1

Feb 5, 2004
    Agreed, although I'd prefer Mark Griskey if possible. Not only is he likely cheaper, but he did a great job on The Force Unleashed 1 & 2 (again, regardless of the content!)

2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I second this. He'd be the best fit if Williams doesn't end up doing it.

3. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    So if Giacchino scores, JJ directs, Orci and Kurtzman write, it's basically an episode of ALIAS set in the GFFA? Just get Jennifer Garner to star and the movie is all set.

4. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Thinking of it, the best choice is probably Alexandre Desplat. The final two harry potter movies had excellent soundtracks, and Desplat used several of John Williams songs from the first three Harry Potter movies more so than any of the other two jokers before him, so he'd probably honor JW that way.

Unless of course, JW were to come back, he'd be 83 when the movies come out, but he is still orchestrating movies (adventures of TinTin was his most recent), they'd have to start by late 2013 with the score.

5. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    John Williams is really old and about to retire.

The guy who did Deathly Hallows should be perfect.

6. JM_1977

JM_1977 Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 23, 2011
    Like someone said to me a while back John Williams' music is the oxygen of Star Wars so without him I don't know if it would fit as well

7. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I fully support this notion.

8. fettmaster39

fettmaster39 Jedi Master star 3

Jun 9, 2005
    I'd love John to at least to VII, but if he can't I know there are plenty of capable composers to choose from, given the incredible musical source materiel already. They'll no doubt be used.

Hans Zimmer, Howard Shore, and James Howard are names that come to mind.

9. seasider

seasider Jedi Grand Master star 1

Mar 12, 2002
    Williams would be the obvious first choice but a lot of it depends on the director they end up hiring. Most directors have a favorite composer they like to work with on their movies. If Williams don't do it then my choices would be:

James Horner
    Alan Silvestri
    Patrick Doyle
    Michael Giacchino
    Harry Gregson-Williams

10. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    Obviously Williams is the first choice, but if for whatever he can't I reckon they will go with Giachinno.

11. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Why not just go with the more traditional Star Wars music from the OT? I felt it was one of the things that hurt the Prequels. The old music seemed left out in many places that were called for and the new seemed too different. Star Wars music never seems to get too old, regardless of the generation, so why change something that most fans adore, anyway?

12. Rodimus1980

Rodimus1980 Jedi Knight

Nov 1, 2009
    Hans Zimmer. Hands down. Or Howard Shore.

13. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    If John Williams can do it, then thats what should happen. Is he still working does anybody know?

Edit: Just looked at John Williams Wiki entry and it stays he is still active - Still scoring films for Spielberg - So at this point I don't see why he shouldn't do Episode VII.

14. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Preferably Williams of course, for continuity if nothing else, but at his age, maybe not. Maybe have him advising or something at least but don't want to push him, and they might want to use someone new for a new generation too. Also if the sequels turn out that bad, I don't mind a different soundtrack/musician being associated with them too. :p

Hans Zimmer is pretty good too, loved the recent Batman movie soundtracks, Howard Shore would be pretty good too. But guess it depends on the atmosphere of the ST, how close they'll try to get to the other six episodes or not.

15. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    Ennio Morricone is still composing and he's 84 years old. Williams (who is 80) has basically said that he will never retire. So it all depends upon his health I think.

Skywalker2B likes this.
  16. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Which actually reminds me - given the (Possibly utterly baseless) rumors that they want to approach this Avengers style, with individual characters getting their own films, it would be kind of neat to see them try different styles of film scores for different characters.

To wit: holy christ what if they made a movie about a smuggler in the Outer Rim with a Morricone score?! =P~

17. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Yeah, my assumption now is that Williams IS doing it. In the intrim health or retirement or death may intervene, but sticking by what we know, Williams is still active which means he will be composing the score to Star Wars Episode VII.

18. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    That makes me happy to read. Williams it is!
    About Giacchino: IMO, he lacks the punch of Williams. So do most young composers.

Williams - he has punch
    /LM

19. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    He's still active, but he's focused on his concert works and only works for Spielberg. He just WON'T do it, he's not interested.

And personally, I hope the new films have new music in the opening crawl (or have no crawl at all).

20. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    Howard Shore or Hans Zimmer if Williams cannot/will not do it. Though preferably Howard Shore. The LotR soundtrack is awesome and I know he could do an epic Star Wars score.

21. morrison85

morrison85 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 13, 2005
    John Williams should do it absolutely, Shame about the fox fanfare, it is so much better than the 'twinklededin' disney castle [face_hypnotized] Seriously I am sure they can handle something without that...

22. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I really like John Ottman. He's done some great stuff. He was definitely the guy I thought of as well. I just hope the music remains SW style, with a lot of themes and being pervasive throughout.

Giacchino would be good, too.

As much as I would prefer and love Williams to do it, I just don't think he'll be able.

23. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    Didn't even think of that. Good point. Lots of nostalgia there.

If Williams can do it, he has to be the choice. He is one of the absolute best composers around. You don't give Star Wars to someone who cannot do excellent, superior orchestral work.

24. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    Howard Shore would be wrong IMO (way too serious), but no where near as wrong as Zimmer. Are people kidding about him? I like his scores but he's not a good fit at all.

Giachinno did the latest Star Tours score if that counts (as well as John Carter for DIsney) and along with McNeeley, Griskey or Haab (all probably too unknown) seems to be the best able to match Williams's style.

Sadly, I really think JW will be too old to see through a new trilogy, although if he could that would be fantastic.

25. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    Zimmer and Williams are incomparable. Two totally different styles. I love Zimmer's work, but he would be an epicly awful choice for Star Wars.

I agree that Williams is probably too old to be doing something like SW anymore, but... if he could, I hope they allow him to. If they have to get someone else, they have to get the single best orchestral composer they can find. Nick Glennie-Smith is a name I haven't seen mentioned yet here that might be passable.

Michael Giacchino, as someone mentioned above, would be my choice. He is an all-star composer, plain and simple. He is John Williams, just comparatively much younger.

Dudemeyster and Lord_Shame like this.