main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Crucible by Troy Denning

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Manisphere, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Could this be the bridge between FOTJ and Episode 7???

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
  3. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    If there is a bridge, I just hope Abeloth's revised concept in the latter half of FOTJ isn't linked to the galaxy going through some metaphysical Mortis black hole that sends the Big 3 back through the crucible of time to where things all began...

Looking back at Apocalypse, the whole "Fate" of [Luke the Jedi] and "time being changed" now has the distinct feeling of a double meaning that has been staring us in the face...

Did Caedus break the whole timeline?

4. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    It was said that he changed the future, Zor - I think from just after Allana was born. It shouldn't have affected the past - and there are surely Celestials able to take the place of the Ones.

Just re-reading Riptide, and there's a daughter of a Mara clone out in the UR somewhere...

5. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    The future, yes... which as Mr Nimoy knows, can lead back into the past :p

6. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    The classic circular argument, Zor! ;)

7. Jedi_Glover

Jedi_Glover Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    We can only hope

8. Jedi_Glover

Jedi_Glover Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    It would be a good idea, but do we really want Denning writing the story that introduces us to Episode 7. I am very skeptical that Denning could pull it off

9. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    We won't have bridges yet. This hopefully will wrap up our remaining loose ends ASAP as they may be forgotten otherwise.

10. Dynoblaze

Dynoblaze Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 16, 2010
    Here's a typical Marvel like senario. Jacen Solo broke the timeline and it's starting to collapse on itself with all these realities merging. Luke Leia and Han fix it but by doing so reset history, enter the New Disney Star Wars universe. :p

11. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Wouldn't that be more of a DC approach to continuity? :p

This book had better not be a bridge to future Episode VII continuity. If people pick this up as a tie-in to Episode VII, they might be scared off. Well, either that or else they might like it (I have no idea how many of the recent LotF/FotJ books were New York Times bestsellers, and I don't want to know, the answer would probably be depressing to me).

But then you can never tell with Lucasfilm.

12. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    I just realised of something:

Corporate acquisition? Check.
    Final story about a Crucible? Check.

Why does this sound so familiar...

[​IMG]

(I really shouldn't be worrying people like this, should I? :p)

13. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Crucible, one sentence or less:

Doesn't matter; Episode VII.

14. TychoCorde

TychoCorde Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 3, 2012
    I hope it's not a bridge to Episode VII. I want the novels to continue on the path they are on. I may be in the minority but I wouldn't mind Episode VII veering off on it's own with the movies and novels being separate from each other. That way we have our continuity, but also a chance to see what could have happened otherwise. I have a feeling this is what will happen anyways. I doubt a director will want all the exposition involved in bringing fans up to speed with 40 years of history.

15. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    and I doubt the current continuity will be continued paralell to the new movies own..

16. TychoCorde

Oct 3, 2012
    I don't see why not, it's like I said in another thread if it's not broke I doubt Disney will stop producing stuff.

17. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    Bottom line. I want this to be the last Big 3 adventure. I still don't know how I feel about the Disney deal but I do know that one bright side would be that we never see the big 3 die. They just fade away. And perhaps so will the Troy Denningverse.

18. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Do they need to bring people up to speed though...?

The PT tells people all they need to know to watch the OT, and vice versa. Sure, there's tons of other stories that serve as set-up for both, but a casual film go'er doesn't need to read any of it. Likewise, what stops the ST just jumping ahead from the OT, and totally glossing over what happened in between?

It's not like Obi-Wan fills Luke in on what happened to the Confederacy, or where all those Mandalorians went, or whether the Nightsisters are still out there. The OT has its story, and what happened or didn't happen during the Dark Times has little, if any, bearing on Luke, Han and Leia's adventure.

19. TychoCorde

Oct 3, 2012
    I agree, I want them to be done, just allow them to retire and live out their lives peacefully. Consult when consulting is needed otherwise reitre already. I mean they havent had more than a day off in how many years....

20. TychoCorde

Oct 3, 2012
    Very true, I agree and come to think of it from series to series we don't really hear much about prior arcs... especially those galaxy conquering aliens from afar

21. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    The main problem I have with this being the last Big three story is that everything leading up to this, umm, "epic" finale has been somewhat anti-climactic, especially following the NJO.

Of course, if one assumes they'll never be able to get it back on track, may as well shoot it while it's dying, rather than let it fade into mediocrity.

22. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    Yes... Please...

23. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    I'll cry in the theater if somehow Fate of the Jedi is connected to Episode 7. Then I'll throw up in my mouth.

Ok. I'll grant you that it has absolutely no closure. That's partly what I like about it. I can't really wrap my head around a book wherein Luke Skywalker dies. Same with the other 3.

24. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    It could be interesting if they make the new trilogy a bridge to Legacy. Haha. Imagine that. While doing the Abeloth/Mortis thing simultaneously.

25. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    To be honest, if by the grace of Waru the Sequel trilogy decides to set itself after the NJO, I would absolutely love for it to treat The Unifying Force as the "end" for the big three. They don't even have to elaborate, or mention the Vong war, just present a scenario where the big three are largely retired (or, in Luke's case, an active teacher), and new heroes have taken their place.