main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Who do you want to direct Episode 7?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by PrincessKenobi , Oct 31, 2012.

1. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Brad Bird was the first name to pop into my head. I liked his Mission Impossible a bunch and the Incredibles is one of my favorite animated films.

2. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    As long as Catherine Hardwicke, Uwe, Schumacher, and Bay stay away from the franchise, I think it'll be okay.

3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Christopher Nolan. No... Joss Whedon. No, scratch that... JJ Abrams. wait... Nathan Fillion... to direct and star in it. If not him, then the lighting director from Game of Thrones and if not them then Gendy Tartarerovershki and if not her than I want it to be Brad Bird. And if Bird is too busy than I want it to be whoever directs the next film that comes out that I get all hyped up for... whoever that may end up being.

4. -polymath-

Jun 7, 2007
    I'd like to see Alan Taylor at the helm of one of these sequels. His GoT episodes are always the most well done from a technical perspective. I still like Bird as a real option.

5. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah. I'm not sure who will do it, but I think that given his past history with Lucas, making the Indy tetrology, and the fact that Ep. VI was specifically written for him, Steven Spielberg's name will be at the top of a VERY short list.

6. -polymath-

Jun 7, 2007
    If the Disney goal is to perpetuate the spirit, tone, and general arc of the original series of movies, I think Spielberg is the safest bet short of having Lucas actually come back and direct the movie.

But I still like Bird.

7. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Sincerely, I do wonder if Joe Johnston is on the hypothetical list. He worked on the OT before becoming a director in his own right. And Captain America did put him some good standing with Disney, again.

DarthKreVass likes this.
  8. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Episode 7:Steven Spielberg
    Episode 8: Werner Herzog
    Episode 9: David Lynch

Directors who must stay away: JJ Abrams, JJ Abrams, JJ Abram.

fettmaster39 likes this.
  9. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I don't care as long as it's someone with a good visual sense.

10. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    I just want someone who can convey a good story and understand that special effects are there to merely enhance the experience... not dominate it.

11. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    I swear I actually mean this, but this better not, in any fashion, interfere with my Jackson/Spielberg Tintin sequel! [face_praying]

12. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    I like Brad Bird, JJ Abrams and Joe Johnston for the first sequel trilogy.

I think Spielberg lacks the sensibilities for a Star Wars film; Alan Taylor has yet to prove himself in a feature film; Matthew Vaughan makes okay-ish movies; and some of the other suggestions -- Herzog, Lynch -- must be tongue-in-cheek.

13. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Ew. I'd take Vaughn before Johnston every single time.

14. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Wait, let me get this straight, you think that JJ Abrams and Joe Johnston, a crap-but-lucky-director with no sense of visual technique or storytelling, and Joe Johnson, a solid-but-middle-of-the-road journeyman have better sensiblities for a rollicking serial-inspired director than the man who made Raiders of the Lost Ark?

15. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Agreed, Johnston did a nice job on Captain but he seems like he is a one trick pony. The period that CA is set in just seems to click for him. Same deal with The Rocketeer, same period.

16. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    Don't like the Captain America movie? I think it's da bomb.

17. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    I love Cap AND the Rocketeer. But, I also love October Sky and every other WW2 era film which Johnston is a pro at helming. His work on Raiders makes sense in hindsight. I think the GFFA is a bit in the other direction for the guy...

18. SkywalkerDiCo

SkywalkerDiCo Jedi Youngling

Oct 31, 2012
    You have to imagine that when word broke yesterday of Ep VII and Lucas was not going to direct it, every big name we've all mentioned (Whedon, Speilburg, Abrams, Jackson, Nolan) were actively writing their own script to send to Disney! And if you were Disney, you go to all these guys and say "Impress me". As for others, I'd imagine they would be getting their agents to give Disney some time to them too.

Really, its like a buffet of exceptional producers/writers that have all at one point in their lives wanted to live in the SW Universe. :D

19. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    The Spielberg who made Raiders -- THE great adventure film of all time -- is not the same Spielberg who made Crystal Skull. I happen to think Tintin was magnificent, easily the equal or near-equal of Raiders, but I don't think his sensibilities match with the Star Wars franchise. It's just a personal opinion. Maybe he'll prove me wrong! I'd like that.

And I like Johnston's work on Rocketeer, Captain American, much of Jurassic Park III and even Wolfman, whose troubles were script-related and production-related rather than any fault of the director. The visuals in all of the aforementioned films are artful and stylish in my personal, subjective opinion.

20. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    Brad Bird
    Martin Scorsese
    JJ Abrams

21. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i think a trilogy of david lynch, darren aronofsky and paul thomas anderson. since everyone loves the darkest star wars film the best this seems like a no brainer.

22. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    The best 180 minutes of sci fi I've ever seen on television was probably the 2003 Battlestar Galactica miniseries. Put those people in charge of Star Wars, whoever they were.

Edit: Ronald Moore (writer) and Michael Rymer (director)

23. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Putting solojones on seizure alert, what with all you people mentioning James Cameron.

Honestly, when I really think about it, I can't definitively say no to the idea of any director. I initially panned the idea of PJ or Spielberg, but even they'd be great. For some reason, I think some switch would go off in their head that would tell them, "Hey, you're directing a STAR WARS movie... the first man not named George Lucas to direct one in 30 years. It's time to fire on all cylinders." It's the destiny call of Star Wars we're talking about here.

I do think I'd like to see different directors for every movie, though.

24. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    No to Lucas directing or writing, qualified yes to Lucas giving ideas.

Some TCW stuff leads to the qualified part.

25. Ballowall

Ballowall Jedi Youngling

Oct 31, 2012
    In all honesty guys; I think the more important question is who is going to write it and who's going to produce it.

But for directing If I had my choice I'd try for Peter Jackson. He understands how to combine incredible fantasy and visuals with compelling plot and character like no other.If not Whedon or Blomkamp might work. Someone younger. No old guys like Spielberg or Ridley Scott and especially not James Cameron.

Most likely though it will have about 5 writers and be directed by a hand picked studio lackey to produce the most financially viable film possible.

We can always hope though. Joss Whedon did a very admirable job with The Avengers so anything is possible. If they were smart they'd give it to guys who really care about the material and not just how much cash they can squeeze out of it.