main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation C3PO And R2D2 May Be The Only OS Characters Included?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by G-FETT, Oct 31, 2012.

1. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Holocrons, fool! Holocrons!

2. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
  3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I know. I felt filthy typing the word. And I did so twice. :(

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  4. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    Definite: R2 and 3PO.

Most likely: An aged Luke (Mark Hamill hopefully) and Chewbacca

Possibly?

I'd like to see Ford reprise Han Solo and have him die in the first movie of the new series (a kind of full circle redemption like they talked about before doing Jedi). Maybe sacrifice himself for his child (or Luke's). Same with Fisher (a small role). It would be great to see Billy Dee come back as Lando (a high powered person in the New Republic), force ghosts of Yoda and Obi-Wan would be great too. Boba Fett surviving the Sarlaac would be a nice touch if done right.

Not likely: Darth Maul....a great character come back as a clone or part cyborg. The Emperor lives again?

5. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i'm just laughing really hard at the idea of them sticking an 80 year old kenny baker inside r2 when it's totally unnecessary. him maybe not entirely sure what's going on, confused and terrified as they put the top on and he's encased in darkness.

6. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    lol. [face_laugh]

7. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Well Peter Mayhew is 68 right now and will be 71 when the movie comes out. I hope we can see Chewie again. Anthony Daniels is 66 right now and will be 69 when E7 comes out.

C-3PO and R2-D2 should be coming back and I hope Mark Hamill comes back as an old Luke.

8. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Legacy Jedi Endordude Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 9, 2012
    I wouldn't mind a C-3PO or R2D2. But they need to die some time, droids don't last forever you know!

9. morrison85

morrison85 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 13, 2005
    well c3po and r2d2 should defo be in there.

10. morrison85

morrison85 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 13, 2005
    well r2 d2 is still 'alive' in legacy comics :p

11. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I think the droids are the only characters I would have absolutely no reservations whatsoever about returning.

12. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Legacy Jedi Endordude Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 9, 2012
    well, I guess you got me there

13. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    The droids should definitely be there. Incidentally, I miss Kenny as Artoo. There should always be at least one close-up of him shaking from side to side. It adds verisimilitude. Of course that's the same reason I wish they had created at least one damn practical clone suit but I digress.

14. Womprataouille1974

Womprataouille1974 Jedi Padawan

Oct 31, 2012
    I think your wish is going to come true... I can't vouch for any specific level of crabbiness however...

15. Womprataouille1974

Womprataouille1974 Jedi Padawan

Oct 31, 2012
    I would bet my life the droids will be there. I would literally bet my life.

JainaSoloYJK likes this.
  16. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    You guys, this conversation is starting to mess with my emotions.

17. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Agreed. The only way I can envision a scenario in which they won't is if god forbid something tragic were to happen to Anthony Daniels before he were able to reprise his role, and even then I would bet that Artoo will still be there.

18. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    A Star Wars without Anthony Daniels is not a Star Wars. I've thought this to myself several times. Hopefully, they're already recording 3PO's dialog.

JainaSoloYJK likes this.
  19. Lando8813

Lando8813 Jedi Youngling

Oct 31, 2012
    C3PO and R2 are locks I think. I am hoping for a Luke cameo at least. As much as I love the idea of Mayhew being Chewbacca again and would be severly disappointed if he was unable to do it; I think it is rather likely they do it without him. If Chewie is in it at all.

20. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    12 hours later and this post is still the thesis statement for this entire discussion.

21. Samurai-Jack

Samurai-Jack Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 9, 2001

22. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    Okay, lets get started on some genuine Speculatin', shall we? ;)

I'm curious as to what the portrayal of Droids will be as we progress into a new era of Star Wars. In the PT, Droids became a bit of a problem. In TPM, we are quickly introduced to the idea that while utilitarian Droids were in existence, they were increasingly used as expendable soldiers. TPM begins with two Jedi being surprised and overwhelmed by a squad of Battle Droids, and when confronted with Destroyers - the Jedi respond by running away. By the end of TPM, we have a full scale invasion of a planet by an occupying army of Droids. They are defeated in the end, but by AOTC…the GFFA is involved in an all out war with the Droid armies of the Seperatists. We witness the creation of a Clone Army to fight for the survival of the Republic, and ultimately the Clones win out. In other words, artificial beings are created to save the GFFA's inhabitants from other artificial beings.
    In the OT, it's clear that Droids are seen as lesser entities than sentient beings. R2 and 3PO are sold as appliances by the Jawas, and refused entry into the Cantina. In ANH, they are clearly just there to provide information or to connect with other tech when it serves to assist a sentient being. At the end of ANH, R2 is incapacitated, and Luke turns off his targeting computer in order to destroy the Death Star. He puts his trust in his instincts over his reliance in machinery. In ESB, Han clearly detests the Droids, and seems reluctant to trust them. It can be inferred that he has knowledge of the damage they did to the GFFA in the past, and passes judgement on them accordingly. In ROTJ, we see the Droids used as a token of trust by Luke, and they are offered as slaves to Jabba in trade for Han's return. By the end of the film, it is clear that a revolution against all that is technological in the GFFA is taking place. The ultimate Droid - The second Death Star - is destroyed, and the Imperial troops are defeated by a tribe of rock and stick-wielding creatures.
    I am curious to see if this theme will be explored further in the ST. Will the GFFA totally abandon technology, as a result of what has come before?
    I've missed a bunch of stuff here, but there's enough to get a talk goin'.

Discuss!

23. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    There's no way in the GFFA in which droids are completely left out/tossed aside... R2 unit's can still be very useful, as an example, and whatever/whomever the villian will be in E7, I don't see why they couldn't still use destroyer droids (my 2nd favorite new droid thing that came out of the PT... battle droids being my #1, there's not a chance they'll be in E7).

JainaSoloYJK likes this.
  24. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Droids as soldiers makes sense in societal evolution, just as the U.S. military uses unmanned drones now.

The move from droids to clones proves that living soldiers still dominate the field though due to their less restricted minds. Droids will always be around and their uses will always evolve... none of which do I find as problematic as you stated in the OP.

25. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    On the subject of R2 and 3P0:

By the time of ep 6, the droids were through so much with the heroes that they became a part of the Solo/Skywalker family. So even if 30 years pass, you can bet that they'll be hanging around whatever Solo/Skywalker characters feature in ep 7 and beyond. And they're still useful, even if outdated. Never know, maybe they got internal upgrades but still retain the same personalities.

As for all the other droids, I could see some huge improvements in droid tech, but we'll still see the hunk of junk old droids knocking about. I think the most exciting prospect is seeing old Battle Droids being used for other tasks. Would be hilarious to see some Separatist droids re-appropriated for menial tasks.

Darthgoodguy likes this.