main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Info Episode 7 an original story

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by PrincessKenobi , Oct 31, 2012.

1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Saying it's an original story just means it will not be an adaptation of an existing EU work. But they're clearly calling this the Sequel Trilogy, so it will be a continuation of the main story. Probably set 45 years after Episode VI. And they'll probably build on some of the EU stories and use EU characters like Jaina Solo and Ben Skywalker.

2. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Right way to go, but I still hope THRAWN finds a way into the movies. Just can't but love the thought of seeing the GRAND ADMIRAL on the big screen.

3. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I don't even think the actors would want to get involved, especially if their roles were greatly diminished. The only one I wouldn't mind would be Luke, but I think it won't work without the others.

I say find new blood, and set things a hundred years into the future. It would be safer to go this route than risk bringing in over the hill actors who look entirely different now.

4. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    This is to Lucas Films.
    [​IMG]

The-Eternal-Hero and Book-Geek like this.
  5. Beaker416

Beaker416 Jedi Youngling

Nov 4, 2004
    I think bringing Hamill back as an old Luke Skywalker in a mentor type role could work, provided he embraces some cardio into his workouts :)

TreborSabreon likes this.
  6. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Thrawn. Um. Now, Thrawn could be well done but I have zero need to see anything Zahn brought to SW on the big screen.

Not needed...

Jobertus likes this.
  7. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Hopefully they won't be as ****ing dull as all but one of the Avengers movies.

[face_beatup]

8. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    A lot of people like Zahn's trilogy, so it has the support of the fanbase even if you personally dislike it. I personally dislike it, but I have to acknowledge its popularity. At any rate it's a moot point given the OP.

9. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    I have been saying from the time I heard this yesterday that this would be a disaster (yes, 1 day, I know, but this has consumed a lot of my conversation the last 24 hours), but this confirms it to me.

I think an EU-adaption would have been bad just based on a hunch. But, it could've been good if done by the right people.

If the movie steamrolls over the EU, it is going to be bad, in my mind, regardless. I do not like a large swath of the EU... i.e. anything that takes place after about 13 BBY. But, it's still the EU and I would hate to see it officially become nothing but an alternate universe that exists only in the fan's minds that has, until now, at least been malleable enough to fit into the movies' stories... Very disappointing.

But, hey, Disney doesn't care because I'll be one of the first in line anyway.

Darth__Syphilis likes this.
  10. TheGuardianofArlon

TheGuardianofArlon Jedi Master star 6

Feb 26, 2007
    Maybe it will be all like Flashpoint with the EU. It was a reality that got changed due to new movies. Maybe thats the plot of the new trilogy, time travel.

edit: Oh and I still have a bad feeling about this

11. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    The thing is, most of them aren't very good... seriously. Come on.

12. TheMasterOfSoresu

TheMasterOfSoresu Jedi Master star 1

Jan 23, 2011
    I hope the 'but one' you are referring to is 'Iron Man'? As that is the sole Avengers movies I consider somewhat decent.

Darth Gangrenous likes this.
  13. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Maybe they do a Star Trek.

14. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    I disagree that "most" are that good. Even if we assume "most" aren't that good, the ones that are good are precious parts of the EU for many people. If they get relegated to alternative universe material, that would be very heart-breaking for a lot of fans.

15. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Nonsense. They're the best books of all time and clearly are exactly what was intended for the Star Wars Universe even though Lucas hasn't even read them.

EUdiscoverer1136 and -polymath- like this.
  16. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Yeah, Iron Man.

17. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    And a facelift. And nosejob. And...you know what, just CG Master Skywalker with Hamill doing VO. After all, he's done just fine doing that for a living these last 25 or so years. :p

18. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Mark Hamill works as the aging, battle-scarred Master Skywalker just fine. He needs to get a bit into shape, but he has a couple years.

19. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Exactly... I'm glad we're getting a fresh story, instead of regurgitated glorified fanfic. This makes me feel better about the whole thing. I think a fresh start is the smartest and best way to go.

sethg and Alexrd like this.
  20. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I think maybe they will do as they do in Clone Wars, use EU characters but just do with them as they want and not adhere to EU stories involving them so as to have creative freedom.
    I'm fine with that so long as it is good, I care little for most of the EU stuff anyway and never considered it fully canon aside from stuff Lucas had a hand in.

21. Luke_Sparkewalker

Luke_Sparkewalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    Taking the same route as the marvel CU - taking characters and storylines but weaving their own plot. But you would think if they do show solo or skywalker childern that they would use the names already out there for continuity sake. right?

22. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    "An Original Story" =/= "The EU is Dead"

TTT was an original story.
    The X-Wings were an original story.
    LOTF was a series of original stories we try to forget about.

All we know right now is that Episode VII is an original story too.

Point Given , Yunners and sethg like this.
  23. TheGuardianofArlon

TheGuardianofArlon Jedi Master star 6

Feb 26, 2007
    Why?

24. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    SW was always primarily a film universe, not a novel or comic book one.

If a new set of films, with outlines written by Lucas himself, crushes EU continuity so be it.

And it will by its very nature. Lucas did it with the prequels and I'm sure the sequels will be no different. I still can't believe this has happened. Amazing.

25. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    You don't want to know.