main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Are the OT cast too old now?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by WhinyLuke, Oct 31, 2012.

1. -SummerMendocino-

-SummerMendocino- Jedi Master star 3

May 24, 2004
    I'm not trying to hate on Carrie, I think she's really cool. She's hilarious. I just don't know how well she would handle drama and action at this point. I would love for her to prove me wrong though.

Harrison on the other hand...hey, I was a huge fan through the 80's and 90's...his attitude towards everything is so "I don't give a crap" that now, that's how I've begun to feel about him.

2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Seriously, take it as read that everything people post in a film discussion is their opinion unless it's factual information about something.

3. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    Yeah! And if not, I'll follow you around and reply with a quote from Lebowski:

Hey, man, that's just like... your opinion.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  4. Luke_Landwalker

Luke_Landwalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 26, 2005
    I could see Ford doing it if Spielberg directs, but at I least want Mark Hamill in it even if its just a cameo.

5. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I could see Nemoy-esque cameo's from at least one OT cast member.

ElevationNation likes this.
  6. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    And how are they gonna explain all those conflicts happened between these years and these new characters?

7. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    What makes you think they will slavishly adhere to the events of the EU? Also, the other films in the Saga do a fine job of recapping interstitial events, such as "the bounty hunter on Ord Mantell", the "nest of gundarks", etc. I think this would-be criticism shows a lack of imagination and also an undue adherence to stories which may or may not be relevant to the original story they'll be telling.

8. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Then they would have to retcon a lot of stuff, including the new characters like Jacen and Mara Jade.

9. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    It's not retconning if they haven't ever appeared in the films.

10. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    If by "retcon" you mean "ignore", then... yes.

11. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    Personally, I hope the next films are further into the future and don't feature any existing characters. However, if they do, it could work. Hamill would have to get in shape but if you imagine them in Ben Kenobi, General Reikaan or Mon Mothma roles they could anchor in a new cast. I just wouldn't want them necessarily to be the focus. I guess they could also function in the same way the older teachers in Potter do - although, please, no kids this time around.

Merlin_Ambrosius69 likes this.
  12. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Yeah, I think they're too old. Let's not turn this into Cocoon, now.

13. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    Right, because we wouldn't want characters that are older and wiser trying impart their wisdom upon the younger characters in these movies. :p

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  14. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Then what story do you want to see? Old Luke, Leia and Han face some new major threat?

15. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Whether they are too old depends on what they are required to do. I don't want to see Hamill fight like Alec Guinness did in ANH it would be depressing.

16. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I'd like to see something that takes place after they're all dead.

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  17. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    Passing the torch to the next generation, and/or leading the New Republic and its military forces.

18. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Why not era long before the movies? TotJ and KOTOR?

19. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    And the new generation was involved in countless conflicts before and had a lot of character development, you can't directly throw them into the time of NJO and start.

20. Moorplant

Moorplant Jedi Master

Feb 26, 2004
    [
    Since it's likely they'll ignore the EU entirely they can write it as if everything's been peaceful-ish for 40 years if they want or have an entirely different set of conflicts to those presented in the EU so it's not like they'd be cutting directly to the NJO books, they probably won't even exist and the next generation characters probably won't be Jacen, Jaina and Anakin etc.

I'd be fine with Hamill in a mentor type role if they have a great story to tell with him. At this point I'd be equally happy if it was set 200 years in the future and didn't feature big characters we know at all.

21. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    I think the hope is to tie up the Skywalker story and show hey the galaxy is at peace for now before they venture into Old Republic territory. I'm sure they will at some point, simply because there is so much story in that time to tell still.

22. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    So... no one saw Jeff Bridges as CLU in Tron Legacy?

Just sayin'...

Womprataouille1974 likes this.
  23. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Then it mostly would come off badly since Jacen, Jaina and Anakin Solo had a lot of character development through tons of stories but the movie would not have so much space and stories. By the time the big 3 were 60-70, their children already grew up to 30-40 at least, and it's not a good time to start their adventure without explaining what happened before that.

24. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    And he all but admitted, in a podcast interview with Kevin Smith, that his Joker decision was about money. Those video games are apparently a lot of work for not a lot of money.

25. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Why not just pick another era so we don't have to worry about the old cast, retcon the EU or too much explanation required? It's not SW's story could not leave the big 3.