main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Info Here we go again...

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Grimby , Oct 30, 2012.

1. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I still can't believe it. It's going to be crazy.

2. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    Oldbie coming out of the woodwork here. Not a forsaker, just never felt there was much to talk about the past few years. I watch Clone Wars but find it a bit dull.

This, on the other hand, will have me back in the ring here. I recognize a few of the names, though I was heavily cloistered in the non-spoilers forum so I don't recognize many.

(I can't believe this is actually happening! I can't believe this forum has a legitimate reason to exist! I just did a little happy dance.)

Garth Maul likes this.
  3. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    What I've learned so far today is that parody threads aren't allowed, but having 5 threads about the same thing is... oh movie boards, how backwards you seem to me :p

4. junior senator

junior senator Jedi Master star 1

Aug 9, 1998

Oh man, did that guy ruffle feathers!

I think the first person to welcome me here was Jasman!

5. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    Okay, got my true identity working again. :)
    Forgot about my Qui-Gon quote in the sig. HA.

6. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    Oldbies Unite!
    Last night was the first time I was on since BEFORE RotS because I was spoiler free for Episode III. Excited about VII.

Question Do you want a 1 year later, new young cast movie? Or a 30 years later original cast passes the torch movie?

7. Johnny Sparks

Johnny Sparks Jedi Knight

Oct 31, 2012
    Very similar story for me, Grimby! Found TF.N after it featured on a TV show about the internet, and this was the first site my brother and I went on for information. Soon after I registered here(as arthurdennuk, if memory serves) and was vising the site for updates and spoilers right up 'til May 2005.

It's so, so, good to have that magical, mysterious, Star Wars-ey excitement back!

Grimby likes this.
  8. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Just to get everyone's appetite up, we all know the fake trailers are coming anyways. Here's a fake trailer from 2010. Think you'll like it [face_laugh]

9. Lt. Laserdust

Lt. Laserdust Jedi Grand Master

Feb 12, 2000
    Oh. My. Gods. Episode 7.

10. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    It's sad the new trilogy likely won't have the 20th Century Fox Fanfare attached to the start, it and the main theme have become iconic together and it is a grand buildup.
    I just won't get the same feeling seeing the Disney Castle.

11. Sloopydrew

Sloopydrew Jedi Youngling

Oct 31, 2012
    I was upset to hear George sold off all that he had created. After attending the investor's conference call, I was devastated. Bob Iger went on and on about how they will "grow the franchise" and how much better it will do in 3D -- how the series would never have a break of more than 3 years; usually only 2. He kept using words like, "Boy's IP," and explaining this was a great franchise for children's and families (so don't expect any Empire Strikes Back or Revenge of the Sith here). He never once mentioned the artistry or what Disney could bring to the series. He just talked money. How George currently has deals with companies such as Dark Horse, that will be eliminated ASAP and be done in house (through Marvel, for the comics) to save money. How 2012 will bring in 215 million for toys and how Disney can greatly expand on that. How console games will not be their focus, but rather "social media" such as Facebook/Farmville. It really was disturbing to listen to, and depressing when the operator told me I couldn't ask my question, because this wasn't about "story" or "characters" but about financials.

A New Hope? I literally have next to no hope for Episode VII. Or XIII or XI or the following one-off movies they will do once every other year from that point on. One thing Iger said was that the main reason for buying this franchise was so they could have a recognized name, rather than having to create new "properties." A name they could "exploit" every couple of years. Plus he spoke of creating multiple cartoons, etc. for the various Disney cable channels. Not ABC (which Disney owns), but the Disney channels themselves, hoping to make it a more family friendly franchise that parents feel safe bringing their kids to. UGH!

Lucas selling much that I held dear, and much of what he held dear, to the cynical Walt Disney Empire is devastating. Like the worst way Star Wars could die. I always looked forward to the new changes George would make with each video release. He did the prequel trilogy all in CG so he could perfect it over the course of "decades." He considered the prequels ever changing projects. Now he's gone from his own universe.

The man who just this year decided to give part of his land away to develop housing developments for the POOR (in a rich neighborhood). Remember that story?

Star Wars was his story and it was a story of family. He never wanted it to be more than 9 parts (later changed to 6).

A man who was FIERCELY independent. Who, even with his prequel trilogy, refused to let ANY studio work on it and instead paid to make the movies with his own money!

A man who was the sole owner of a filmmaking empire (LucasFilm)

A man who was the sole owner of a video game empire (LucasArts)

A man who was the sole owner of an FX empire (ILM)

A man who was the sole owner of a post-production empire (THX)

A man who was the sole owner of a sound FX & music empire (Skywalker Sound)

A man who created and owned one of the greatest places to work on the planet (Skywalker Ranch).

This man just sells out to Disney? This man who had fought against big studios like Disney all his life? This man who said he prided himself on his independence more than anything? What happened to this man?

This reminds me far too much of Jim Henson, who refused to sell Henson Studios to any studio, finally selling to Disney and dying a few months later. It's much, much too close.

What's going on with George?

My childhood has finally died. And so has any enthusiasm I had for Star Wars. I will NOT see the new films. For me, there were 6 great Star Wars' movies made by a great storyteller, George Lucas. And that is all.

I keep feeling like crying.

EDIT: I was a regular here under this username back in the special edition days and the prequel days. Unless there's another HUGE Star Wars' site (unofficial) that was around. It was just weird this place didn't recognize my user name or any of my email addresses.

Bowen likes this.
  12. aguywithabiggun

aguywithabiggun Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 1999
    I'm so excited to be here for this again. Some of my happiest moments have been in, well, civil war on these boards with you guys and gals. It's going to be a crazy, sometimes maddening next few years but most of all, memorable. Think civil war is a strong word? Consider: Sid=Palpy :eek:

[face_pumpkin]

13. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    Ahh, the Episode III Webcam. How I loved that webcam.

PrincessKenobi likes this.
  14. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I was in my first year of high school when TPM came out and I can't tell you how many hours I spent on this site scouring for any tidbit of information! I stopped coming around before Episode III because of college and I had decided to go into the movie spoiler free. I came back just a few months ago on the temp boards (I'll admit my first time back in many, many years) and posted a few times. Now I'm a father of four and really can't believe Star Wars is back! I fear my kids are going to feel neglected!

Bowen likes this.
  15. Sloopydrew

Sloopydrew Jedi Youngling

Oct 31, 2012
    That almost makes me feel this whole thing was worth it. Star Wars in a theater on opening night is A-MAZING! The energy is unparalleled.

That said, George selling everything to Disney really doesn't sit well with me and I don't have much hope for Episode VII.

16. FamousAmos

FamousAmos VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 9, 2003
    This has me really excited for Star Wars for the first time in.... a long damn time. :D

17. darthjj88

darthjj88 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 31, 2012
    Very few things I've experienced in life compare to opening night of a new Star Wars film. I've seen 5 of the 6 on opening weekend and I can't wait for EPVII

18. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    Yep. Though I missed opening night, I did experience Star Wars in it's original first run in the theater, followed by the others. To describe the impact that had on me would be a bit redundant, given that I'm responding to a fellow fan on a message board 35 years later, just as excited by the news of new films. :)

SamiS and Barra_Jedi like this.
  19. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Wait, you attended an investors' conference call, and you're disappointed that they talked so much about financials? No offense, but don't you think that's what INVESTORS wanted to hear about? What do you think Lucas should have done with the franchise? Just let it die a slow painful death? You don't think there's any possibility that Disney could actually do a lot of GOOD with Star Wars, just as they've been doing with Marvel and the Avengers? I personally feel bad for you if you can't allow yourself to believe anything positive can come from this. You might want to check out today's ForceCast and listen to the interview with Steve Sansweet. He had a lot of good points to make and a great perspective on what this move means for the future of Lucasfilm.

20. Undreamt

Undreamt Jedi Padawan

Oct 31, 2012
    Thought today would be an appropriate day to sign up after years of lurking.

I'm excited.

21. Obi-Donn

Obi-Donn Jedi Master

Nov 10, 2003
    Here we go agian indeed.

Please don't **** it up Disney.

>>You have to star out the whole word.

22. aguywithabiggun

aguywithabiggun Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 1999
    welcome aboard.

Also sorry to hear some folks are upset. Give it time. Give it a chance

23. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    Dude, the reason they only talked about money was that it was an investor's conference call

And everything you're feeling about "Disney's Evil Empire" is exsactly what we've been feeling about George since 1999.

I'm glad you think that there are 6 great Starwars movies. To me though there are 3. So I think Ive waited long enough to get another shot at some movies I like. If you dont watch 7,8, and 9; then you'll still have three more movies than I have right now.

24. DarthBlanco

DarthBlanco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    I'm getting too old for this...........

25. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    Well, it feels good to be able to be excited for something Star Wars related again, whether it's good or not, I'll give it a try.

DarthKreVass and fishtailsam like this.