main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Classics Ewoks Movies: Caravan of Courage and The Battle for Endor

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Darth-Horax, Feb 27, 2003.

1. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    http://nooooooooooooooo.com/

2. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    Don't forget the Ewoks cartoon (and we'll see if they will get a proper release in the future).

Ewok Poet likes this.
  3. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    lol NOOOOO. Loved the Droids cartoon and even the Ewoks movies, but just couldn't get into the Ewoks cartoon. It felt so distant and un-Starwarsey. It was more like Smurfs lol.

4. Orrelios

Feb 21, 2005
    I still think it should get a release since it's still Star Wars, no matter the quality of it. You should think of others who might like it and would want it to get a proper release, you wouldn't be forced to buy it.

5. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I hope that thanks to Disney the Holiday special fades even more into oblivion!

6. DM99

DM99 Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 26, 2012
    do you believe that chewie had a wife?

i dont. he was not married and han was is first and only love!!!

Jangounchained1990 and Ewok Poet like this.
  7. Kez-Iban

Kez-Iban Jedi Master star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    I hope the full seasons of Droids, Ewoks and the original Clone Wars will be available on DVD. I'm more hopeful that this will happen now with Disney. Disney has done a great job with their Walt Disney Treasures series, giving fans all of the cartoons of Mickey, Donald, Goofy, TV series and more. With commentary by Leonard Maltin as well as lots of behind the scenes material, it would be really nice to get the Star Wars stuff, including the Holiday Special, in a similar format.

8. Darth_Martus

Darth_Martus Jedi Knight star 1

May 11, 2011
    I'd buy them all to have for the collection but I doubt I'd watch much of them :p

The Holiday Special at Xmas is the done thing though. Doesn't everybody?

I don't think the micro series will ever be released again. At least, not while the The Clone Wars is around.

9. LawgSkrak

LawgSkrak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 23, 1999
    Just release the damn things already. What's the bloody hold up?

10. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Forget DVD. How about bluray?

Jedi Daniel and Trebor Sabreon like this.
  11. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    I'd be all for a proper, unaltered release of the Droids & Ewoks cartoons, don't know if the Ewok movies are worth more than a re-release (the DVD is 4:3). IIRC, a behind the scenes doco was shot for Caravan of Courage, but never saw the light of day.

The Holiday Special is a sticky issue. It's easy enough to get a bootleg online, but how many SW fans don't regret the fact that it exists after they've watched it?

There's also another SW gem that's gone unreleased in its full form - the mockumentary Return of the Ewok. It's got the Big Three in it, including Carrie Fisher in the slave girl outfit!!!

12. Orrelios

Feb 21, 2005
    Haven't Warwick Davis and Eric Walker (Wicket and Mace Towani) said that they are open to do an audio commentary if asked?; if that was so, commentaries should be a no-brainer.

13. Guy-Gone_Weird

Guy-Gone_Weird Jedi Master star 2

Jul 28, 2003
    I'm absolutely behind re-releases of all of these, even the Holiday Special. Just get that...thing...out there finally. It's not going to kill Star Wars. It's like The Room. People will see it, laugh, be horrified, joke about it for a while, then people will move on. It deserves to be released, even if it's just a bonus feature tucked away with something else. And it would really be nice to get some kind of mini-doc or featurette that could finally set the story straight on how it came to be.

I'd love to get the proper TV versions of Droids and Ewoks. I've watched low-quality versions of Droids in order (including the Great Heep special) it was a lot of fun. I still hope someday we might see some animated bookend shorts or something that show how they were separated from Captain Antilles, and then how they were finally re-united before ANH. The Ewok Adventures would be a good candidate too, and would be a great place to have Return of the Ewok and the Caravan doc, and anything else we haven't seen yet. The second one is kind of underrated. Wilford Brimley deserves to be an action figure.

As for the Clone Wars Microseries, see my recent topic about my idea that they could rebrand it on the packaging as a loose tie-in to the current series.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  14. LawgSkrak

LawgSkrak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 23, 1999
    See my post up above. Pretty much that.

15. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    I haven't previously bought any of the VHS/DVDs of Droids or Ewoks primarily because I wish they would just release the entire series, so if Disney ever gets around to putting them out, I'll definitely pick up my copy. Disney has done a decent job releasing several of their older animated series, so maybe their is hope.

I missed out on buying a copy of the Ewok movies when they were released on DVD, which I really regret because it's out of print and very expensive now. Still, they need to release these again in better quality, and provide a few a extras, like the Return of the Ewok short. A documentary explaining the reasoning why Lucasfilm created these films, and their entire production would be pretty cool, too.

These are definitely items that Disney has on the back-burner, and I doubt will see any of them anytime soon.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  16. Guy-Gone_Weird

Guy-Gone_Weird Jedi Master star 2

Jul 28, 2003
    I felt the same way. I'd still love to see a proper release though. And aren't there some behind-the-scenes videos for the Ewok movies we haven't gotten yet? I wouldn't mind a very slight remastering of the Ewok movies to smooth the stop motion a bit and erase the puppet strings holding the spiders in the cave in the first one.

17. AniSkylover

AniSkylover Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 5, 2001
    of course there is, cut scenes and at the very least the doc shot by Eric Walker and Warwick. Also according to wookieepedia, they shot an unreleased commercial in a 50s american diner :
    And maybe they can have this epic video too...

18. Darth Doop

Darth Doop Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2014
    http://nooooooooooooooo.com/

19. Orman Tagge

Orman Tagge Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2014
    I just recently saw the Ewoks movies for the first time. I've thought about them for a while now, and begun forming some opinions.

First of all, it's hard to reconcile that they're even Star Wars. The excessive "magic" aspects, lack of anything that remotely ties them to the greater Star Wars Universe, and so on. Literally the only things remaining are Ewoks, blasters, and spaceships.

Secondly, they're not great films. The Ewoks have a hard time conveying emotion because they're haunted little faces can't move, Mace's every line is disconcertingly reminiscent of Luke's "power converters" whine, and so on.

But I'll be damned if I'm not glad I watched them. Seriously, there's good stuff in there. The first movie I definitely enjoyed less. Mace I truly hated (although he is just a kid - it's understandable), and the conflict was much less developed (why are they in cages?) but CHUKHA-FREAKING-TROK was the best darn Ewok character of all time. If they had action figures for him, I would buy them all. What a badass.

The second movie I actually watched through all in one sitting. Some pretty cool stuff. Evil (emote-less) bad guys, the surprisingly interesting Teek, and of course, Noa Briqualon. His fight with King Terak goes in my top 10 Star Wars duels, easily. Great character.

What do you guys think of them?

Trebor Sabreon and Iron_lord like this.
  20. Orrelios

Feb 21, 2005
    The two Ewok movies are quite fun and still hold up pretty well (and I still see them as Star Wars despite having overaching fantasy-esque themes involving magic and such, which I think fits the Ewoks and the mystical native nature that surrounds them and many other aspects of the Endor moon).

21. Orman Tagge

Orman Tagge Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2014
    That's a good way of looking at it, I think.

Trebor Sabreon and Iron_lord like this.
  22. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I rewatched the Ewok movies the other day, for the first time in years.
    The first one is a bit taxing to watch - it just isn't very good. But I do love the creature effects. Stop motion, puppets, and the best man-in-a-suit monster ever. And my friends and I quote Mace's stupid one-liners all the time: "It's a monster, or something really big", "It's like climbing a ladder. only sideways", "I'll take care of you, Cindel. I'll be mom and dad!" :p
    The second one... well, I don't care what Disney says - it will always be canon to me! I love that movie! Sure, it's for kids, but it has some wonderful stuff in it. The slapstick with the marauders actually had me laughing out loud. The Reverend Mother Mohiam-Nightsister is cool, and the space ship at the end is beautiful.

Ah, the memories :)

Ewok Poet and Iron_lord like this.
  23. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Now on to the cartoon? :)

Also, you reminded me that I have not seen the first film. I keep on avoiding it because of what everybody said about Mace, and such types are the reason I hate most of the 1980s hit films, the overly macho teenage boys or grown up men playing the said teenage boys...hope I'll be able to handle it. If nothing else, I can remind myself that

This is another reason I love the cartoon - having a teenage male character who's miles away from that stereotype is quite something for the 1980s! <3

TigerCraneFist likes this.
  24. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Do it, it has worthwhile moments! :) Mace was not macho - just whining and trying to be grown-up (and failing terribly). And he was actually played by an age-appropriate actor.

It certainly is time to watch the cartoon again - it's been ages (I've got the DVD they released in the early 2000's). I grew up watching it on saturday mornings, after seeing Empire, Jedi and The Battle for Endor (not ANH though) on TV :)

Ewok Poet likes this.
  25. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    So, Caravan of Courage: An Ewok Adventure aired for the first time thirty years ago today!
    Happy 30th, Ewok franchise! [face_party][face_dancing][face_party]