main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Info Episode 7 an original story

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by PrincessKenobi , Oct 31, 2012.

1. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    Q

F

T

obi-rob-kenobi4 likes this.
  2. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I hope he gives much more input to the story and general art/design.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  3. syferdiasisalie

syferdiasisalie Jedi Master star 3

Sep 26, 2004
    Well, GL had specifically forbidden EU writers from writing about the PT period other than alluding to it. There was nothing for the PT to outright steamroll, just various contradictions that came up. This might end up being different, I think.

4. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Yeah but the contradictions led to retcons and retcons of retcons.........and then the TCW show in top of that. Lucas doesn't give a whiff of the EU and I hope Kennedy throws most of it out. It's just not very good. At all.

5. syferdiasisalie

syferdiasisalie Jedi Master star 3

Sep 26, 2004
    Somewhat true though I hope the main family trees stay intact, at least in name.

6. Lord_Axle

Lord_Axle Jedi Grand Master star 1

May 1, 2002
    This actually puts me in a spot. Last year, I managed to collect all 21 books of the New Jedi Order series. However, I never got around to reading them as I am deep in the A Song of Ice and Fire books. The way I saw it, Star Wars was going nowhere, so I had the time, and I needed to be ahead of the GoT TV show. But now that the EU is out of the window, I wonder if I should really bother with the New Jedi Order series ..... am pretty sure it will be difficult to invest emotionally in characters that I know will not exist.

7. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    New stories, new writers, it'll rock/suck, take your pick. I've learned it's best not to get your hopes up too high, not only will it save you from disappointment, but it can also give you a nice surprise should things turn out better than expected.

Although if I had my druthers, Kevin Smith would be allowed a shot at writing for this. Dude knows the films just as well as we do AND has a proven track record in screenwriting.

StampidHD280pro likes this.
  8. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Question, what does it matter if a group of fictional characters do or don't "exist" in some esoteric sense? Will Lucasfilm come to your house and pulp the books? No? Then the characters exist in as meaningful a way as they ever will, and whether or not you read and enjoy them is totally up to you. Don't let corporations control your entertainment.

Kyle Katarn, a proven track record of crap, maybe. The man hasn't evolved since clerks. *controversial opinion*

Adam of Nuchtern and FamousAmos like this.
  9. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Why?

I mean, you got the books last year, before any mention of a new movie. If you felt that you could get emotionally invested at the time, what's so different now?

I mean, I really don't care if you read the books or not, but to say that you can't read them because of the new movie, when you bought them before it was even announced, that's kind of goofy.

10. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    um, that wasn't me who posted that.

11. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It will all really depend on the setting of the new trilogy and the focus of it's story. If it's set 30-40 years after the OT, to echo the generational gap between the PT & OT (and will match the real-world aging of any original actors they might want to reuse, like Mark), then it will be much easier for the new films to do whatever they want while leaving the vast majority of the EU untouched.

And, even then, unless they specifically go out of their way to intentionally contradict the EU (which, going by Pablo and Lucas's comments, doesn't seem to be the case), it should be (comparatively) easy to integrate the EU without the storytellers being creatively limited or required to reference specific events. Don't want to use Jaina Solo? Fine, don't- just don't specifically say "Leia has no daughter" and focus on telling the actual story you're focusing on.

They can even pepper in some EU references that won't lose non-reader audiences. if someone says "I fought in the Thrawn campaigns" or "I lost my home during the Vong invasion." won't be any less confusing to movie-only audiences than "You fought in the Clone Wars?" or "..returned from a border dispute on Ansion" or .."little manuever at the Battle of Tanaab", etc.

Or it will be like some moments in the TCW where they pick and choose what EU they want to reference or not. At this point, it's too early to tell beyond the "original story"/not-an-adaptation knowledge, Lucas's comment on leveraging EU content and Pablo's comment on preparing the prep guides for the new filmmakers to reference.

12. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Fixed it... don't cry---it's okay. :p

13. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    This official news confirms what I have been saying all along.

The ST (Sequel Trilogy) its almost definitely being treated exactly as the "Old Republic" era stuff is. By that I mean it will be set FAR into the future. Far away from the films so they will finally have the true freedom they need in order to not contradict anything in George Lucas's Star Wars Saga (Episodes 1 through 6).

The ST will be set decades, maybe even hundreds of years in the future of the SW galaxy.

14. bluesaber70

bluesaber70 Jedi Knight star 2

May 25, 2007
    Not happy at all. Disney is taking a very good series of films over and going to do their own thing. This won't end well. The should do "Shadow of the Empire." Or something like that.

15. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    I'm not worried. Disney has been letting Marvel do their own thing, I imagine the same will be true for Lucasfilm.

Saurion-Fett likes this.
  16. SWFAN3

SWFAN3 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 8, 2002
    It will be interesting depending on WHO writes the screeenplay and directs.
    EU never really mattered to me. The films are the official source for me whether good or bad.
    The future always in motion.
    It seems strange that it will be in 2015. Seems to me Lucas had set things in motion for the next trilogy.
    Nice to see some familiar faces. Ford would probably return if Solo is killed off.
    I do not see why Hamill or Fisher could return in supportive roles.

Saurion-Fett likes this.
  17. Womprataouille1974

Womprataouille1974 Jedi Padawan

Oct 31, 2012
    "Original Story" means that they will not be treating the EU as canon. The new trilogy will most likely contradict any comics or novels. That doesn't mean that LFL has turned their back on the EU, it's just that the events of the films were never meant to be beholden to anything written in that special place we call the "Expanded Universe". The new trilogy will be a continuation of the Skywalker story...

18. Womprataouille1974

Oct 31, 2012
    Yeah, it makes me wonder if all that talk about the live action show was just a cover for some pre-work on the new trilogy... But if we get a show too, bonus, right? And from what I can see so far (based on stuff posted on SW.com), it is likely that Hamill will return as a sage old Jedi named Skywalker...

19. 3PO

3PO Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 5, 2003
    The entire EU NEEDS to be steamrolled. :p

I also find it hilarious that Lucas keeps making comments that he would never do this or he would never do that with the trilogy, yet still signed off on it being published and becoming "canon" (until now).

20. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    [​IMG]

21. Bender666

Bender666 Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    Yep. George likes his cyclic symbolism(ie the Hero's Journey) so I imagine at least Mark will be in.

22. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    No, that description was in regards to the speculation of the new trilogy adapting The Thrawn trilogy or Dark Empire or the NJO, etc. Any original story does not equate to ignoring/overwriting/replacing the EU. They're just saying the films will be something new, not an adaptation.

Which is not to say that the new films wont do any of the above anyways, just that "original story" doesn't mean they will.

For an extreme example, the recent Invasion comic series was set during the Vong invasion of the NJO era, but it was not an adaptation of any existing NJO story- it was it's own original story in that setting.

But, as I said- that's an extreme example- I don't think anyone expects them to integrate the new movies as parallel events to that extent. Just illustrating original =/= mutually exclusive.

23. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Some people like the gungans

Womprataouille1974 likes this.
  24. Womprataouille1974

Oct 31, 2012
    Expanded Universe material is not canon until it is brought into one of the films. That is all.

25. Womprataouille1974

Oct 31, 2012
    Any novel or other material that was published under the Star Wars brand was never film canon. It was and still remains part of the separate, and to many, equal, Expanded Universe.