main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What is your favorite theme from the saga?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by kameron b, Sep 9, 2012.

1. kameron b

kameron b Jedi Youngling

Sep 4, 2012
    hello everyone, my favorite themes are the rebel fleet at the end of empire strikes back and the across the stars love theme from episode two. I would be interested to hear other opinions.....

thanks, kam

2. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    Hello there, Kam.

"The Rebel Fleet" contains one of my favorite renditions of my favorite theme, the Force theme. "Binary Sunset" is tops. My other favorite Force theme cues include "The Throne Room", "Rescue From Cloud City" and "Goodbye Old Friend".

I was going to direct folks to my Force Theme Archive http://boards.theforce.net/threads/what-is-your-favorite-force-theme-cue.20103058/]in[/url] this thread, but I realized that it is locked and the post with the archive is truncated. So let's see if I have it saved in markup code on my computer...

(BTW, while I did a google search for the archive, I noticed that some joker a JWFan.com copied my Archive without giving me specific credit. [face_monkey])

OK, I found a txt file from 2004, so it doesn't include ROTS. I'll poke around and see if I can find that section somewhere...

*Edit: OK, I just copied the ROTS section back from the guy at JWFan. Looks pretty close to what I probably had on my list.

The Force Theme Archive

A New Hope (SE)
    Leia programs R2 [Imperial Attack, 2:21]
    Binary Sunset [Binary Sunset, 2:21]
    "He's nowhere in sight." [Binary Sunset, 3:27]
    "Come here my little friend." [Attack Of The Sand People, 2:47]
    "Now that's a name I've not heard in a long time." [Tales Of A Jedi Knight, 0:09]
    "The Force is what gives a Jedi his power." [Learn About The Force, 2:11]
    "Learn about the Force, Luke." [Learn About The Force, 3:53]
    "Wait, Luke, it's too dangerous!" [Burning Homestead, 0:58]
    Luke finds Owen & Beru's bodies [Burning Homestead, 1:30]
    "I want to come with you to Alderaan." [Mos Eisley Spaceport, 0:31]
    "Move along, move along." [Mos Eisley Spaceport, 1:53]
    "Chewie, get us outta here!"[The Millennium Falcon, 1:54]
    "Looks like an Imperial cruiser." [Imperial Cruiser Pursuit, 2:16]
    "This is ridiculous." [The Death Star/The Stormtroopers, 1:46]
    Obi-Wan's death [Ben Kenobi's Death, 0:00]
    "I can't believe he's gone." [TIE Fighter Attack, 1:01]
    "I'm gonna cut across the axis and try and draw their fire."[The Battle Of Yavin: X-wings Draw Fire, 1:11]
    "This is Red Five, I'm going in." [The Battle Of Yavin: X-wings Draw Fire, 1:31]
    "Watch your back Luke, watch your back." [The Battle Of Yavin: X-wings Draw Fire, 3:40]
    "I can't shake him." [The Battle Of Yavin: X-wings Draw Fire, 4:02]
    "Use the Force, Luke." [The Battle Of Yavin: Use The Force, 6:49]
    Medal Ceremony [The Throne Room, 0:17]

The Empire Strikes Back (SE)
    Luke gets his lightsaber [The Wampa's Lair, 1:07]
    "You will go to the Dagobah system." [Vision of Obi-Wan, 4:52]
    "Begin retreat. Fall Back." [The Battle Of Hoth: Beneath The AT-AT, 10:21]
    "Much anger in him. Like his father." [Jedi Master Revealed, 0:09]
    "He is too old. Yes, too old to begin the training." [Jedi Master Revealed, 1:27]
    "I'm not afraid." [Jedi Master Revealed, 1:52]
    *not used in film [The Training Of A Jedi Knight, 1:06]
    "For my ally is the Force." [Yoda And The Force, 0:58]
    "Through the Force, things you will see..." [City In The Clouds, 2:23]
    "Even Yoda cannot see their fate." [Lando's Palace, 1:42]
    "And I'll return. I promise." [Lando's Palace, 3:17]
    "Leia, hear me... Leia." [Rescue From Cloud City, 3:21]
    "I'll meet you at the rendezvous point on Tatooine." [The Rebel Fleet, 0:03]

Return Of The Jedi
    The rancor picks up Luke [The Den Of The Rancor, 5:18]
    "Strong am I with the Force, but not that strong." [The Death Of Yoda, 2:52]
    "Your father he is." [The Death Of Yoda, 4:33]
    "Luke, the Force runs strong in your family." [The Death Of Yoda, 6:15]
    *not used in film [Obi-Wan's Revelation, 8:57]
    *not used in film [Obi-Wan's Revelation, 9:45]
    "Vader's on that ship." [Shuttle Tydirium Approaches Endor, 2:03]
    "I'm endagering the mission." [Shuttle Tydirium Approaches Endor, 2:41]
    Luke levitates C3PO [The Levitation, 0:19]
    3PO tells of Obi-Wan/Vader duel [Threepio's Bedtime Story, 1:56]
    "Leia, do you remember your mother--your real mother?" [Brother And Sister, 0:29]
    "You're wrong, Leia. You have that power too." [Brother And Sister, 4:50]
    "Obi-Wan has taught you well." [Battle Of Endor II: The Duel Begins, 1:20]
    "There is no conflict." [Battle Of Endor II: The Duel Begins, 2:16]
    "I am a Jedi." [Battle Of Endor II: The Dark Side Beckons, 6:31]
    Vader lifts the Emperor [Battle Of Endor II: The Emperor's Death, 9:09]
    *not used in film [Light Of The Force, 1:19]
    Luke lights Vader's funeral pyre [Light Of The Force, 2:13]

The Phantom Menace (UE)
    Qui-Gon melts the blast doors [Fighting The Destroyer Doids, 1:03]
    "The Force in unusually strong with him." [Shmi And Qui-Gon Talk, 1:38]
    "Feel, don't think." [Qui-Gon's Pep Talk, 0:35]
    "Don't look back." [Anakin Is Free, 4:48]
    "Fear is the path to the dark side." [Anakin's Test, 1:16]
    "May the Force be with you." [Qui-Gon's Mission, 1:35]
    "Now this is pod-racing." [The Tide Turns, 0:57]
    Obi-Wan senses Qui-Gon's lightsaber [The Death Of Darth Maul, 1:51]
    "What will happen to me now?" [Funeral Of Qui-Gon, 0:26]

Attack Of The Clones
    Anakin and Padme depart for Naboo [Departing Coruscant, 0:49]
    "Dangerous and disturbing this puzzle is." [Yoda And The Younglings, 3:10]
    "Anakin." "I won't be long." [Return To Tatooine, 3:10]
    Anakin battles Geonosians on the conveyor belt [Confrontation With Count Dooku And Finale, 0:09]
    Anakin Force-throws droid parts at Geonosians [unreleased]
    "She would do her duty." [Love Pledge And The Arena, 7:40]

Revenge Of The Sith
    Approaching the Coruscant Space Battle [Star Wars And The Revenge Of The Sith, 1:38]
    * not used in film [Grievous And The Droids, 3:13]
    Anakin pilots the Invisible Hand through the atmosphere [tracked from The Tide Turns, 0:57]
    "Mourn them, do not" [Anakin's Dream, 3:31]
    "Good relations with the Wookiees, I have." [Palpatine's Teachings, 2:59]
    Obi-Wan leaves for Utapau [unreleased]
    Obi-Wan arrives at Utapau [unreleased]
    Obi-Wan riding the Boga [General Grievous, 0:38]
    Anakin jumps in an airspeeder [unreleased]
    Anakin pleads with Mace to spare Palpatine [unreleased]
    Yoda finishes killing clone troopers [Enter Lord Vader, 3:43]
    Obi-Wan/Anakin force push [Anakin vs. Obi-Wan, 3:21]
    "I have failed you, Anakin." [Battle Of The Heroes, 1:56]
    Obi-Wan arrives at Polis Massa [unreleased]
    Padmé dies [The Birth Of The Twins And Padmé's Destiny, 1:54]
    Vader's rage [The Birth Of The Twins And Padmé's Destiny, 2:53]
    "To Tatooine, to his family send him." [unreleased]
    "Training I have for you." [unreleased]
    Star Destroyer bridge [unreleased]
    Arrival at Alderaan [unreleased]
    Obi-Wan gives Luke to Beru [A New Hope and End Credits, 0:51]
    * not used in film [A New Hope and End Credits, 7:04]

3. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Across the Stars is my all time favourite theme in SW. I really adore all the renditions of the Imperial March/Darth Vader's theme and the Force theme as well.

TX-20 and epithree like this.
  4. Blue Ice Cream

Blue Ice Cream Chosen One star 6

Aug 9, 2006
    Across the Stars is pure brilliance. :)

TX-20 likes this.
  5. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    Ewok Celebration
    I didn't know so many people like Across the Stars!
    I can't pick. PT is less iconic but the music quality really still rocks. Um...Main Title. Because. Maybe. Yeah.

6. StarWarrior92

StarWarrior92 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 7, 2011
    I love them all, but I would have to pick "Luke and Leia" from the ROTJ soundtrack.

7. kameron b

kameron b Jedi Youngling

Sep 4, 2012
    yeah the binary sunset is great. :) man that french horn player should be given a medal. General kenobi, I think its awesome that you have all of the themes cataloged. I think when john wrote the force theme he had no idea how much of an impact it would have. and I think I could argue that the music is what makes the prequels watchable. It's just MY opinion though. the very first star wars soundtrack I bought was episode 2 because of across the stars. :) great posts guys keep them coming. ^^

8. kameron b

kameron b Jedi Youngling

Sep 4, 2012
    no love for the ewok celebration? which one the original? or the one in the special edition form 97? I think that one is pretty good. don't hate on it though.lol

9. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    Ewok Celebration's music is not my favorite. Now the visuals...

10. kameron b

kameron b Jedi Youngling

Sep 4, 2012
    Ha. The visuals are hilarious. especially hayden christianson as a ghost.lol :p

11. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
  12. CaptainHamYoyo

CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Master star 2

Aug 18, 2011
    I'd rank my top 5 like this:

1. Obi Wan/ Force Theme: everything from the slower, hopeful Binary Sunset to up-beat, majestic Throne Room.

2. Luke Skywalker's theme: whether the in your face excitement of the Main Title, or the fast paced theme of Luke jumping into action, or the slower contemplative version. Also like the whimsical flute version at the beginning of 3PO's bedtime story.

3. The Imperial March: evil, militaristic. Perfect Vader theme, the ultimate bad @$$!

4. The Emperor's theme: a different evil than the March. The groaning vocals, ominous. Also love the horns playing this when Palpatine is electrocuting Luke.

5. Yoda's theme: everything from Yoda raising the X-Wing, to the lighthearted "Luke's Nocturnal Visitor"(wish it was used in the movie), to the more adventurous version during the Bespin escape.

Honorable mentions: Cantina Band 1, Han Solo an the Princess(especially when transitioning to the Imperial March during the Carbonite scene), Luke and Leia, Princess Leia's theme, Jabba's theme, Rebel Fanfare(always brings up memories of playing the 1983 Star Wars Arcade Game as a kid for some reason), Yub Nub, Tie Fighter Attack, Asteriod Field, Duel of Fates, Battle of Heroes, Across the Stars.

13. Sure_leia

Sure_leia Jedi Knight

Sep 4, 2012
    I have to say that Across the Stars is my favorite one. I feel it captures a grander scheme for the movies. It's a piece that sounds like it should be in a classic epic movie like Lawrence of Arabia or Ben Hur. It has wonderful softer moments and full on bombastic pieces throughout.
    After that, I'd say The Rebel Fleet, Qui-Gon's Funeral (although when it's played at the end of ROTS more than TPM), and the full piece of the Throne Room.

kameron b and DarthBoba like this.
  14. kameron b

kameron b Jedi Youngling

Sep 4, 2012
    yeah across the stars is a gem. I think it captures the essence of a binary sunset.lol And Qui Gon's funeral is a new one that I haven't seen here. Good choice though. deep and dark. very compelling.

Sure_leia likes this.
  15. ElivagarV

ElivagarV Jedi Knight

Sep 11, 2012
    Han Solo and the Princess, especially in the ESB end credits. I love the way the melody soars.

Leia's Theme, and Luke and Leia are close seconds.

fistofan1 and kameron b like this.
  16. kameron b

kameron b Jedi Youngling

Sep 4, 2012
    It seems everybody likes the end of ESB. :D

DarthBoba likes this.
  17. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    I have to go for the main theme song :)

18. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Anakin vs Obi-Wan theme

19. immertreu

immertreu Jedi Master star 2

Feb 4, 2012
    Thank you so much for this list! Now I need to go through the CDs and the movies again in order to find the Force theme. I love it. :)

I think my favorites are: Luke and Leia/Brother and Sister, Binary Sunset, Yoda and the Force, Anakin's Dream, the end of ESB, the final fight between Luke and Vader. But it's so hard to choose. I grew up listening to these soundtracks, so I basically love almost everything about them. ;)

20. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    The Force Theme, always have been my favorite.

21. CircaCitadel

CircaCitadel Jedi Padawan

Oct 10, 2012
    All of them. :p

But really, Across the Stars and Binary Sunset are good.

I wouldn't call it a theme, but the song after the rolling credits at the very beginning of ROTS is my top favorite piece. Amazing.

Fish On The Sand likes this.
  22. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I like way too many themes from the movies to list them all. I probably will later but not right now

23. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    Across the stars-the best love song ever! It was awesome, orchestral, sad, epic, melodic, melancholic, and beautiful all at the same time! Love pledge and the arena, too. It's a variety of across the stars, just awesome.

The Force theme. I love how it's played in different variations. If you notice, the ceremony march where han and luke get awards at the end of episode 4, is the same song that played when luke stared at the suns and darth vader's body was cremated at the funeral pyre. One version was a marching, brass, version of it, the other version was all orchestral, sweet, melodic sounding, and yet powerful at the same time, yet it was the same melody. The song that played when Darth Vader turned against the emperor to save Luke is the same song as the Force theme and throne room, and the pyre and Binary Sunset scene. It was played very epic before anakin started podracing, when he was yelling. Which leads me to my next point. John Williams is the best composer because he can play the same awesome melody in totally different ways-marching and melancholic.

The dramatic music that played when the Emperor was zapping Luke with force lightning. I'm not talking about when darth vader picked him up, I mean, all the music that played while Luke was getting zapped. Very suspenseful.

Padme's ruminations, definitely in the top 5. It was an eerie, wailing, kind of exotic, like it sounded like very cool like east asian or indian or middle eastern music, and it fit that part very well. It was the last time we see Anakin skywalker in the sunlight, maybe the last time his character ever was there, it was just before he turned the galaxy to an empire just to save his wife, before he became darth vader. When he cried, it was so sad! Very quiet. It was melancholic. That was up there in my most favorite star wars scenes and music.

The jedi temple march.

The imperial march, especially the imperial march in the prequels, when Vader was knighted, or when he fought Nute Gunrary and the Separatist council, and of course, in the original movies.

When Luke and vader fought after he threatened to turn Leia to a Sith lord, and Luke was enraged. Another epic piece of music.

Victory celebration. It was the perfect song that can be used to celebrate something. After all the adventures and action and battles and dramatic plot twists, hardships, dramatic moments, wars, conflict, everything like that, that nice song started playing as everyone was celebrating! It's my favorite star wars song!

24. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Looks like we need to teach some people about the whole Cues and Tracks thing. Across the Stars, while a great theme and a wonderful track, is most definitely not a song.

That said, my favorite theme is the Force theme. So many excellent uses of that theme throughout the saga and I look forward to many more in the Sequel Trilogy!

Yunners likes this.
  25. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    Ever since I read that you *may* have listened to the whole ROTS score last night, I've had "Boys Into Battle" running through my head.

Strilo likes this.