main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Darth Maul Fans: UNITE

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Sitara, Oct 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    So...with this bombshell of a news that we are all still coming to terms with, and upon which there will be many, many ruminations over the coming years, there is one important point we need to consider:

Will our beloved character who was unjustly killed in EP1 just to pimp up that rascal Kenobi return in EP 7? I am ofcourse talking about the last true born Sith, one who had perfected the art of the Double Bladed Lightsaber at a time when no one else in the galaxy could even begin mastering such a weapon, a Sith so devoted to his ideals and filled with so much zeal that he covered himself with ancient tattoes whose importance no other knows, and who was the first force user in the canonical SW history at that point to take on a Jedi Master (council member level and the only Jedi in the history of the order and the galaxy to master the technique of retaining his identity in the Force, thus making him wiser and more powerful than even Yoda in that respect) and Kenobi (hands down the best and most talented Jedi in the galaxy) simultaneously and defeat them soundly, without even a scratch...until of course script immunity kicked in and he was offed.

I am ofcourse talking about DARTH MAUL, Dark Lord of the Sith, First Apprentice to Darth Sidious, and the True Successor to the Sith Legacy, unlike the filthy traitorous Jedi Scum who followed him.

Now I know he has been brought back in Clone Wars but, like I hope all true DM fans, I too am horrified and disgusted by the utterly moronic and ridiculous depiction of Maul in the cartoon. Yes I wanted Maul back...but not in a way that completley RAPES his legacy. The spider legs (drider from D&D??), the insanity (a Sith surely has a mind strong enough to resist madness), the robotic legs, the ridiculously ravaged background (he is Nightbrother? His fearsome tatoos which were canonically established as Sith for more than a decade and implied a deep, intimate age and primal connection to the Dark Side even Sidious did not have are now Nightbrother tatoos which every NB has?), the fact that Maul spoke more in a single trailer of the second last trailer to Clone Wars season 4 than he did in the decade before that for all SW screen medium combined, the fact that he actually taunted Kenobi in a saber duel instead of just pounding away at him silently...I could go on and on and on.

I suppose this is karma...for years, ever since TPM I mocked Vader fanboys and then Fett fanboys about their rage regarding the rape of their beloved characters' backgrounds in TPM and AOTC...never would I have thought this would happen to Maul. As much as I wanted Maul back, I would much rather he stay dead that the travesty that now graces Cartoon Network in the name Star Wars has made him out to be. A theforce.net member once said many, many years ago, before ROTS that Lucas has a great talent for making original, cool and memorable villains, but also a great talent at totally destroying their appeals years later. How true. Filoni is to blame as well for Maul, for had he not invented the retarded Savage Oppress, Lucas would likely not have brought back Maul :(

So anyhow, with this incredible announcement earlier today, what do you think is the possibility for Disney to bring back Darth Maul for REAL this time, i.e. in a fully canon Star Wars big screen movie (episode 7, or any episode after)

I can easily think up a how...some corrupted Jedi walks past the shaft in Naboo where Maul fell, and feels a disturbance in the dark side. He goes down, intrigued and is taken over by Maul's spirit that still lingers there, not having dissipated as Maul has perfected what Darth Plaguies could not through his immense hatred and desire for total revenge. The spirit's power is so strong it destroys the spirit of the corrupted Jedi and transforms his body into Mauls. Voila! DM is back, and no ridiculously stupid robo or spider legs in site. In the EU they call a similar technique Essence Transfer...they can call it peanut butter for all I care, it's just a device to bring Maul into the action once more.

This time, freed from the chains of the OT and the script, a competent director and producer can take Maul in any number of directions...best of all it will all be completely unknown to us, making for a truly memorable and magical Star Wars experience. :)

Heck, maybe we will get to see Maul decapitate Luke, Leia, Han and Chewie in one go, clearing the old guard and making way for the New Hope that Luke in spirit form will guide.

Well that got longer than I had thought, so chime in and let us all know what you think! Will Maul be back in EP7 and +? Should he be back?

2. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    He's not that bad in TCW, really. He's well voiced, looks the same and sounds very similar. He is ruthless and dangerous and seeking to dominate again, as he should.

I can't see any future movie having him in it, how would they explain where he had been throughout the OT? Especially if he was supposedly killed only to resurface during TCW and then die again (which will likely happen in the show). And he would still have the mechanical legs you seem to hate, unless he's a clone and that would be stupid. Essence transfer would be OK, but him then turning back into himself I doubt would work well.

We also don't know how far in the future the movie will be set, Maul might be really old had he survived past events and not really be muvh of a threat anymore.

I really can't see someone from that far back who is likely dead being brought back, Boba Fett at least can be convincingly returned because he didn't get his body parts chopped off and only fell into a beaky pitt which he could easily escape from given he had more firepower than Jabba's whole Sail Barge.

3. Sitara

Oct 8, 2001
    I've watched all the CW episode with Maul in them (3 so far I think, last two of Season 4 and first one of Season 5) but while the animation quality is quite commendable, and the effects have vastly increased over Seasons 1 and 2 (after which I quit watching as it was getting quite boring, what with all episodes being about the same tired trio and the same cast of villains you know can't die, save Cad Bane I guess, Ventress and now Oppress + Maul) it was worse than I could imagine. I don't mean any offence against CW fans at all, I am happy for them if they enjoy something new about Star Wars, but come on! First Maul is an insane Drider, then he has robo legs...which according to official SW lore also significantly reduces his force power as he is half robot not to mention Maul's charm was the way he moved and his agility...and most annoying is he cannot stop yapping. Part of Maul's appeal is that he lets his actions speak for him. He doesn't blab all the time, especially not during a lightsaber duel. He never spoke in TPM's duel, not even when he was mocking Obi Wan over the pit, even though that was a great time to taunt Kenobi about his failure, and gloat about the return of the Sith, and that was awesome and added to his mystique.

And Essence Transfer as I described (or whatever you want to call it, I would like something dark and fitting, like Sith Soul Reaving or something :p ) should be more than enough to satisfy most ppl. Come on, this is Star Wars, not Star Trek. Do fans question how the Death Star can destroy a planet? Or how Jedi can become ghosts after they die? Or how Vader became a ghost, even though no one taught him and he hadn't used the lightside in over 20 years?

If you can think up something better, thats great, please share by all means. But whatever the case, all I want is a medium by which Maul can return properly, with his entire body and connection to the Dark Side and his memories intact, without it seeming ridiculous or unbelieving enough that it detracts from enjoyment of the movie. That, IMO, is all that should matter. It's not like the cartoon is canon anyway, or movie level canon. You can be sure Episode 7 will destroy much of the EU. There won't be any Vong, I can 100% guarantee you, nor will there be any Mara Jade. If Luke appears, he will likely be single and won't have married or have kids (though I could be wrong about this). There 'could' be mention of Thrawn, but I doubt it...most likely there will be members of the Chiss species though, as they have a distinctive and cool (Star Wars cool) art style and that means more opportunities for merchandising.

4. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I could see Maul returning, if the main villain isn't Plagueis.

5. Sitara

Oct 8, 2001
    Why the heck would it be Plagueis? Sidious killed him in his sleep...

yodasbum likes this.
  6. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    Guys we have a DM thread already. For this particular type of thread I recommend Lacwac or PT

You received this Ninja message from Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.