main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Are the OT cast too old now?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by WhinyLuke, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    They can be referenced in throwaway lines, but not dwelled on. It could easily be done. Like Anakin referencing in ROTS how he saved Obi-wan's life 10 times. Or Han talking about the bounty hunter they ran into on Ord Mantell in TESB.

Jaina and Ben wouldn't be concerned with the past, they're Jedi, they'd be living in the moment, where they're focus belongs.

2. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Tons of EU(at least 1/4 of the whole EU) in a few throwaway lines and it has to introduce the current crisis as well? And it's not TCW, Jaina and Ben's character were built by these EU, if you take away people could not understand it well. Not to say important characters like Chewbacca's death. Also there are massive change around the whole galaxy. TCW is just 3 years and post RotJ-post FotJ is 40 years and got tons of major conflicts rather than just 1 war.

No, it's not old Jedi, even Luke himself still thought about his father and Obi Wan a lot after RotJ. Why would Jaina and Ben throw everything away especially Jacen and Mara Jade?

3. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    I think you need Luke AND Leia. Han would be a bonus, but Han/Chewie/Lando could still work and still be entertaining, all of them as supporting characters to the new generation.

4. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Chewbacca is dead in the Vong invasion.

5. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    If they put them in a more supporting role, then no, I don't think they're too old to reprise their roles. If anything, I would LOVE to see the Big Three back together again.

It's the story's job to set that up and to introduce us into this new time period. We don't need to keep the EU to understand everything that has happened between ROTJ and the new films. I know a lot of people are attached to the EU and its characters and I do admit that it would be a shame to just erase all of that, but for the sake of development and to ensure that we get the best story possible, I think it would be in their best interests to start from scratch and do things their way instead of being fenced in by the EU material. Of course, there may still be a way they can tiptoe around it, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see what they come up with.

Hitchhiking-Ghost likes this.
  6. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I don't think you understand.

What would need to be explained?

LEIA, to JAINA: "I've lost both my sons to war, I don't want to lose you too!"
    LUKE, to BEN: "You have a fiery heart, just like your mother. I wish she was alive to see the Jedi Knight you've become"
    HAN, to LOWBACCA: "You're getting pretty good. You'll be as good of a copilot as your Uncle Chewie by the time you're 200, at this rate!"

That's all that needs to be said.

Jobertus likes this.
  7. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    That would also be terrible storytelling.

EDIT: I mean really terrible.

8. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I personally don't see how Hamill couldn't fit in as an old Luke, likewise for the others. It can be done right/I would want to see it happen.

9. Norminator

Norminator Jedi Master star 2

Nov 2, 2009
    In my opinion, they're too old to be the main characters, and too old to have "action" roles. It really didn't work for Dooku and Sidious (again, my opinion).
    But I wouldn't mind seeing them again to some degree.
    In fact, I kinda want Luke to die within the first 30 minutes of Episode VII, to trigger the events to come. Sort of like Optimus Prime did in the 1986 movie :p

10. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Then why not just pick another era? TotJ and KOTOR are all epics and we don't have to worry about all these problems at all.
    Without the EU, that means everything remains the same except the character's age turned 40 years older, they still have to fill all the blank and there is no way they could do well in 2-3 years and make people understand well in the movies.

11. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

Either has a cameo or supporting character (non-action role) would be just fine... in fact, that all that would really be needed depending on the plot, etc.

12. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    And people would ask "What the heck is going on?"

The Rule of Two is a much smaller issue in the prequel and it got explained in the novel of TPM, but people still criticized the movie didn't make it clear about the Sith' history. Even Lee had to ask GL to understand what is the Sith(it took like 25 mins) before he could portray Dooku well.

13. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Not just the characters' development and death, the galaxy's political structure also changed a lot, that could not be explained well in a few lines.

14. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Because there are literally millions upon millions of people out there who would sell their kidneys to see any or all of the main heroes of the OT again, and don't know or care what a "Thrawn" is.

Jobertus likes this.
  15. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    But Mark and Carrie Fisher were not in a good shape to act right now and they are 30 years older, which created a lot of difficulty to make the movie, put them back to the screen 3 years later would mostly ruin their SW image. Not to say Ford already wanted to quit SW since the time RotJ. And we know most of these people would not accept recast at all.

16. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    How??

1-6 are filled with vague references that are just thrown out there. That's how the Clone Wars started.

And the only thing that would really need to be referenced is Mara, perhaps Chewbacca.

Yeah, the audience was totally lost when old Ben Kenobi started talking about Clone Wars and the Old Republic... or Leia mentioning her mother was kind, beautiful, but sad...

Jobertus likes this.
  17. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    Yeah they're too old to have main roles, but I'd like to see Hamill have an Obi-Wan type role like in episode 4 and have Fisher and Ford having minor roles.

18. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    There's a difference. The thing's that are thrown away in the OT are simply not of the same caliber of emotional resonance as what you're suggesting. What you've done with the exchange you've just hypothesized is given a character people know and love a set of children that no one has ever heard of before and killed them off in the same sentence. Its preposterous and would be nothing other than fanservice.

19. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Because neither Anakin nor Obi Wan was created in TCW, but all of the children were created and mostly developed in those EU stories. 1 war in 3 years is also nothing compare to 40 years of conflicts and development, including Luke's marriage, even the Empire was totally changed.

Leia was only little at that time, but Mara's death time is different, and we already see the OT so people would want to know what happened through 40 years.

20. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Yeeeeaaaaaaaahhhh... Okay. I'm just going to sit quietly back away from this particular issue, and hope that LFL is kind enough to rip the EU band-aid off before this debate gets truly manic.

21. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    I don't think the EU stuff will stick. I think it'll be pretty much thrown out the window.

22. jps78

jps78 Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 27, 2005
    Here is my two cents about this if you read Mark's interview today with EW he said that George had lunch with him and Carrie. Now the guys from Forcecast stated that meeting was during CIV, Mark said that George told them both 7,8,9 were happening and that Kathy was doing them. Now Mark's interview was a tad cryptic but I think that George wanted and got verbal commitments from both Mark and Carrie. After all they both in the past have said they'll come back with George needed them to, I think there just waiting for Harrison . I'm thinking Disney would have loved yesterday to also announce that the big three would be returning as well. I dont think that George would have a secret lunch with those two to let them in on this and not want them back.

23. Plebeian

Plebeian Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    I believe Hamill/Ford could pull off their older characters, maybe prettied up with a little CGI. I wouldn't let Carrie Fisher near it tbh. Whether any of them would actually want to, that's a whole other story.

24. Schwarma

Schwarma Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    This. Luke is essential to the Skywalker legacy if the new films are to continue from the OT. Han and Leia aren't so much IMO, especially the former.

25. ElevationNation

ElevationNation Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 26, 2011
    Maybe just for the shortest of cameos for Luke and Leia. Hamill and Fisher are realllllllllllly rough looking. Ford's the oldest but he looks the best by far out of those three. I just can't see him wanting to be in another Star Wars film though. He was the center of the Indiana Jones franchise.