main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Will (Insert Character Name Here) Be in Episode VII?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Jordan1Kenobi, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Barth

Barth Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2002
    Well, I'm old school. I go by the rule that only the moves are canon..but I will use your definitions.

You can rephrase what I said as "EU is fine, but it isn't G-Canon. Only the movies (and GL) are G-cannon. C-canon can be contradicted [by G-canon] anywhere for the most part. Don't expect the ST to be based on EU material at all, and it may contradict it in many places. They may use EU material for inspiration, but not as something to conform to."

So that should clear that up.

V-2 likes this.
  2. darthgator1217

darthgator1217 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    There is no way they will care about the events in the EU. The EU books serve as supplements or add ons for the fans. Nothing more.

V-2 likes this.
  3. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    guys i feel for you, but if you don't think the whole eu is about to be retconned i'm afraid you're in for a rude awakening. i personally don't really want chewbacca in episode 7, but i would be shocked if a lot of the eu doesn't end up being totally contradicted. the list of different canons is cute, but no longer relevant i'm afraid.

V-2 likes this.
  4. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Lowie is Chewy's nephew, not his son.

5. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    It's only canon if the people bankrolling the damn thing say it's canon. Books be damned, if it gets in the way of Disney making money then they'll conveniently forget it ever happened. If it's established in a later film that Chewie is alive and well and runs a laundrimat in Scottsdale, Arizona then anything about him dying from a moon falling on him is rendered moot. Doesn't matter how many times you read it or not, it's canon if it's on the screen, everything else can and will be fogotten as needed.

V-2 likes this.
  6. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Then you should have been more clear earlier. Yes we know the EU is not G-canon. But G-canon does NOT = The only Star Wars Canon.....period.

The term star wars canon refers basically to G-canon, T and C-canon (at least the canon in those levels that haven't contradicted G-canon).

And just because your an old school fan doesn't mean you have to ignore the EU as the canon it is. I'm sure there are plenty of old school fans that have grown attached to some EU material, whether it be video games, comics, books, tv series.

7. Lando8813

Lando8813 Jedi Youngling

Oct 31, 2012
    I love the EU but I am ok if they stay completly seperate from the ST. That works for me because than the story can be a real surprise. I really just don't want them to go out of their way to destroy what the EU did. Just ignore it.

I think Chewbacca(at least in a Cameo), R2 and C3PO will be locks for an ST. Hoping for a cameo or part for Mark Hamill as Luke. Just seeing Luke on screen again would be awesome. Don't expect any other cameos. Maybe a spirit yoda, Kenobi, Qui-Gon, and/or Anakin. That would be cool. Would love Lando since he became one of faves in the EU but I seriously doubt that would happen.

8. StarWarsFan91

Oct 14, 2008
    I know that Disney has the power to take away post-ROTJ EU's canon status.

I sure hope they don't. I feel Chewies death was well written, and showed that sometimes not even famous star wars character can escape death. Remember when he died, it was very rare for film characters to die in the EU. Some had before, but never characters who were the main cast in the entire OT.

Chewie died a hero....saving Anakin....saving civilians....and its a scene which when i read recently, did bring a tear to my eye. So i really hope that its not removed from canon, for it was one of the most moving scenes for me out of all the EU that i had read.

And Lucas also caused/allowed it to happen anyways. A decision that lucas made that actually benefited the EU, another reason why i don't want it to become non-canon.

9. Kyle Katarn

Jul 10, 1998
    It doesn't matter if Chewbacca died on 9/11 after scissor kicking a hijacker, if the suits don't want to bother with the books then they won't bother with Chewie being anything other than alive. Don't get your hopes up.

10. StarWarsFan91

Oct 14, 2008
    *from Vector Prime, pages 276-278*

Han locked her in place and rushed back to the landing
    ramp, pushing aside those who had moved into position to
    help. But the Falcon couldn't hold position now, and she
    drifted up and to the side--or maybe it was the ground dipping
    down and to the side--her engines roaring in protest.
    "Chewie!" he cried, hanging right off the ramp now. Several
    others crowded about Han, holding him in place by the legs.
    He reached desperately for the Wookie, but the Falcon was up to high.
    Chewbacca gave his friend a resigned contented look, then threw Anakin
    up into Han's waiting arms.
    The ground rolled and bucked, and suddenly, Chewie was far, far away.
    Han cradled Anakin to the floor just inside, and the boy was conscious again,
    struggling to his feet as his father rushed back to the cockpit.
    Han worked furiously over the controls, bringing the Falcon around, swerving about buildings.
    The communicators crackled with the frantic cries from other ships,
    some blasting away, others unsure of where to go.
    Han ignored it all, focused entirely on finding his lost Wookie friend.
    Anakin came up beside him, falling into Chewie's chair.
    "Where is he?" Han cried.
    Anakin took a deep steadying breath. He knew Chie so well--surely he could find his friend with the Force.
    And he did.
    "To the left," he cried. Han brought her about. "Around that corner!" Anakin cried.
    "Take it!" Han told him, and he ran back to the landing ramp. "Get me to him!"
    Anakin worked furiously over the controls, the ship vibrating so violently that he thought it might just shake apart.
    He turned her up on her side to get down one alley, and swooped around another teetering building.
    "Oh, no," he breathed, for there stood Chewie his back to the Falcon, and in front of the Wookie, a fiery Dobido was streaking down.
    "Closer!" came Han's voice.
    Chewie turned about and took one step toward Han and the Falcon, and then a burst of tremendous, hot wind blasted through,
    tossing him to the ground, toppling buildings. One pile of rubble crashed atop the Falcon---her shields groaned in protest---and sent the nose of the ship
    up, up.
    Anakin fought her back to level, started to turn her about to find the Wookiee but saw instead, in all her devastating glory,
    the last descent of Dobido, the arrival, to those faithful natives still praying in the ruined streets, of Tosi-karu.
    They were out of time. Anakin knew it immediately. If he turned for Chewie, if he did anything other then take her straight up and out,
    the explosion of the crashing moon would tear the Falcon apart.
    He heard his father's pleading cry to get him back to Chewie. He pointed the Millennium Flacon skyward and punched the throttle.

Han saw.
    A battered and bloody Chewie regained his footing, stood up high on one pile of rubble, and faced the descending moon
    with arms upraised and a defiant roar.
    The scene receded quickly, but Han kept his eyes locked on the spot, burning that image of the very last moments of his friend's
    life indelibly into his consciousness. And then he saw the beginning to the final cataclysm as Dobido plowed into
    the city.
    The landing ramp rose suddenly, locked into place---Han knew it to be the doings of his son---and then the Falcon went
    spinning away as the shock wave hit her.
    Han didn't even consider the danger to him and the others, not even to his son at that critical moment. He just thought
    of Chewie, of that last tragic image, the Wookie shaking his fist at the great, unbeatable enemy.
    A fitting last pose of defiance, but one that did nothing to mend the tear ripping through Han's heart.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  11. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    In other words, no, Chewie will most definety NOT be in Ep, VII. Sorry. Suck it up and deal.

12. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Except when you're dealing with an even that only happened in a book that is only relevant to an increasingly dwindling fan base. If the people want Chewie, there will be Chewie (the people want Chewie).

dolphin likes this.
  13. Kyle Katarn

Jul 10, 1998

Quoting it won't make the suits at Disney say "Gosh, we should follow these books which only a small portion of our potential audience has read." If they want Chewbacca in the films then they'll put him in there regardless of what was written 10-12 years ago.

V-2 likes this.
  14. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Most of you seem to say the same characters, but mostly Luke, R2-D2 and C-3PO. Also I never thought about Wedge, that's a great idea guys!

I know it probably won't happen, but I'd love to see a couple of the Bounty Hunters from TESB (most preferably IG-88 and Bossk) in it, maybe even fighting along side Boba Fett.

I also really wanna see Ackbar leading the Rebels in a space battle, and maybe even leading them throughout most of the film whenever they're in their ships.

And what about Wicket and the Ewoks!? Lol, maybe not.

Team Padme likes this.
  15. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Btw ways, thanks for reminding me how poorly written Vector Prime is. There is stuff in there that I would cross out in an undergraduate writing workshop.

V-2 likes this.
  16. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    No they won't. Its not actually Disney calling the shots. Its Lucasfilm.

17. StarWarsFan91

Oct 14, 2008
    I wasn't quoting the book to convince the powers that be, i simply posted it here for people who never read Vector Prime, or do not know how Chewie died.

V-2 likes this.
  18. Kyle Katarn

Jul 10, 1998
    Disney/LFL, same diff.

19. Hermi_Odle

Hermi_Odle Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 18, 2011
    It goes without saying that Luke, Leia and Han should be in it, to varying extents. I would see Luke's role as the Obi-Wan type, a lone Jedi rebuilding the Jedi order and repenting for the "sins of the father". I would have Leia in a Supreme Chancellor role, kind of like Mon Mothma but if she had Palpatine's power and control over the Senate, only she'd be doing good things of course. Han could just be...Han, maybe he'd add a bit of light relief.

You have to have the old faithfuls in order to bring in the moolah, and that's what everything will come down to ultimately. I don't think Lucas or Disney would have gone into this thing and purposely try to screw things up..even just by bringing characters in from the OT in cameo roles will still be a top draw attraction. Hell, throw in Chewie, Threepio and Artoo! Let's have the old gang back, see how they've moved on and grown older, just as we too the audience have grown older. It's nostalgia and a love for the Original Trilogy that will make or break the new trilogy, literally everything else is up in the air in terms or plot or who the villain will be, but as long as the main players are in place, I dont see what could go wrong.

20. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I'd really like to see Chewbacca and Tarfful along side each other fighting!

21. Deejo

Deejo Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 22, 2010
    Amazing some of you think that because he died in a book he can't be in Ep 7.

Even if GL wanted to stick by the books (which I really doubt) how many years after ROTJ did Chewie die? The movie might not be set that far in the future anyway so he could appear.

We know nothing about this so it's wild speculation. Personally I would bet the farm that he will appear at least in a cameo in one of the next 3 movies.

V-2 likes this.
  22. StarWarsFan91

Oct 14, 2008
    Chewie died around 21 years after ROTJ.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_galactic_history#The_New_Jedi_Order_era

Though if Episode 7 is way after that, where Luke, Han, Leia are very old, Chewie could still make a cameo, perhaps in a dream/hallucination created by old Han.

23. Plebeian

Plebeian Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    Hard to guess really. I believe they may intend on doing an original story for the film, but 4-25 (year of Chewie's death) ABY is so jam-packed that they might not fit it somewhere in there.

24. Ben H.

Ben H. Jedi Youngling

Oct 31, 2012
    I see two directions with the characters and plot. Option 1 is that Luke Skywalker, Han Solo and Princess Leia are recast with young actors and the story picks up right where, or a few years after Return of the Jedi left off. Option 2 is that Luke Skywalker, Han Solo and Princess Leia are old and played by the same actors. Luke fills the role that Obi-Wan had in ANH or Qui Gon Ginn in TPM. His role is to introduce us to a new Jedi Knight, to "hand the lightsaber to a new hero" and will either die or otherwise become "one with The Force" by the end of the film. Han Solo and Princess Leia have their supporting roles. Either way, there should be new planets, new characters and new challenges in the film.

25. RareSaturn

RareSaturn Jedi Knight

Feb 20, 2008
    what the hell is Vector Prime?

V-2 and El_Machete12 like this.