main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Who's The Baddie?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by fishtailsam, Oct 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guy-Gone_Weird

Guy-Gone_Weird Jedi Master star 2

Jul 28, 2003
    I'm 100% behind Trioculus.

RC-1991 and Ramza like this.
  2. ObiWanandonly

ObiWanandonly Jedi Padawan

Sep 23, 2012
    A new enemy (not Sith, not Empire) would be best, and I think that's what they'll go for. If so, speculation is infinite. Instead of real Sith, maybe dark force users. Maybe rogue jedi like someone mentioned before; imagine a jedi civil war! Some rogue jedi try and take over the new Jedi Order and the galaxy with it, and Luke and a handful of loyal jedi have to stop them; or rather Luke is killed during the uprising of the dark jedi and his followers must stop them alone.

3. ObiWanandonly

ObiWanandonly Jedi Padawan

Sep 23, 2012
    I didn't think of that, but that would be epic. To take revenge on the new jedi order for the previous order killing his father. It takes an element of the EU but not a storyline.

4. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    If the mandalorians are the antagonists in the trilogy, I'd be totally cool with that.

5. Plebeian

Plebeian Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    I wouldn't mind something Lost tribe related, or maybe a Skywalker darkside stint that doesn't result in a horrible mangled death.

6. Luke_Sparkewalker

Luke_Sparkewalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    mandalorians as the antagonists with a bigger bad guy behind them maybe.

FinleySlade likes this.
  7. Plebeian

Plebeian Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    inb4 a secret sith emperor urging them into war against the galactic alliance

8. JStepp

JStepp Jedi Padawan star 2

Jun 10, 2011
    They should just go with their original idea for the Yuuzhan Vong, instead of beings outside the force they can be a race of dark force users like the Rakata, they could tone down and rearrange other aspects of the vong too.

9. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    lol. Nice.

Better yet, we spend all of Episode VII trying to find out that question and get jumped by the answer in the last ten minutes!

10. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Remember, the Jedi thought the Sith were dead before also. Just because Sidious and Vader are dead, doesn't mean there isn't some unknown Sith seed developing somewhere in hiding.

As long as there are Jedi, there will always be Sith. It's the yin and yang.

11. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Someone with a lightsaber. Probably red. Or maybe not.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  12. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    I'm all for a resurgent Mandalorian army sweeping through the galaxy, in league with remnants of the Empire and led by Sith. Or I guess you could just go with a full on Sith invasion (a la KOTR). If a new Sith Lord, Krayt style has decided to do away with the rule of two and expanded Sith numbers that woud be a way of escalating the scale of the conflict and give us something we haven't seen in the movies yet. The Old Republic cinematic intros have already shown how incredible that could be.

I juts hope whatever troopers they go with they go back to practical suits of armour (except for massive numbers).

I have heard rumours that LFL were exploring various briefs, some of which included a cloned Emperor, others which included time travel - I'm imagining with a view to bringing back Vader somehow.

There is a view that from a marketing POV it would make sense that if the writer(s) and director can crack a good way to bring back Vader they will. Personally I hope they don't go that way.

I understand a SW movie with Vader on the poster is an easier sell, but I don't want to see him again. Leave his story and come up with a new threat. Maul, Dooku or Grievous (at least from a design point) could have been great villains had they been developed properly. It (kind of) made sense not to overshadow Vader in the prequels. There should be no need to worry about that in the ST (is that what we're going with?).

If there is a major Sith villain, I'd rather they follow the Maul route - ie something completely different - rather than a Vader type - Darth Malgus just seems very uninspired to me.

If they want to follow on thematically, and Luke is an Old Jedi Master - they could have the villain be an old pupil of his - Hell he could even kill Luke. Probably too close to what we've seen already, but we know how GL likes his mirroring (that's if they stick to his treatment).

13. DarthMateous

DarthMateous Jedi Master star 4

Aug 1, 2002
    I'd like to see a new threat. Maybe a new Sith. But definitely no EU characters. That would be recycled and boring.

14. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Interesting ideas, and not out of the realm of possibility, but maybe just because both have been approached in some way or another, they may choose something else. The call for this to be original sounds pretty strong. What if we're not talking about a galactic scale conflict in this one, but just a localized planetary one to begin with? The seeds for something more epic to come? I'm not talking about a simple trade blockade either... [face_laugh]

15. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    The bothans declare independence... everyone decides now is a good time to get rid of the most annoying spies in the universe.

awesomejedi and Vespasian like this.
  16. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    I just think that they will want to market around something recognisable. It always seemed a no-brainer to have the invaders in the PT be Mandalorians. They're iconic, would be a credible threat (unlike the Droids) and not yet really explored on film. I think we'll see the new team cherry picking ideas that have worked in the EU, as the Clone Wars team have done, but will feel free to put their own twist on them.

Totally agree that the conflict needs to be tearing through the galaxy. If you want to kick things off with a bang have the new republic under massive attack (open in media res a la ANH) from this new threat and take an absolute pounding.

17. mutantchair

mutantchair Jedi Knight

Oct 31, 2012
    Either Leia or the Ugnauts.

18. LANDOROCKS

LANDOROCKS Jedi Knight

Oct 30, 2012
    It's pretty obvious really, the Sith were thought to be extinct before and they weren't - you can guarrantee that one will pop up somewhere.

My money is on a Jedi who falls to the dark side, you don't really know it's him behind some kind of plot until the second movie where it's revealed that he was right there under your nose all the time. Will also bet it's him who kills Luke in the first movie.

19. yodasbum

yodasbum Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 4, 2004
    Saurion-Fett I always thought of Luke falling to the Dark Side. The Cave/'Once you start down the path to the dark side forever will it dominate your destiny'- Did Luke start down the dark side in the last duel with Vader? He is the most powerful known force user left. He has a lot of issues- he snogged his sister- a lot/killed his father or at least led to his death. His turn to the Dark Side would give the most dramatic tension. Liea and the gang could be divided on wanting to kill him or turn him back to the light. you could even have him as a gray Jedi who doesn't declare his alligence until the last moments of IX. That might give you three groups- Jedi/Sith/Luke

Would like to see a female as either lead villain or lead hero or both.

There must be Sith or Dark Jedi. The threat must be as great as a Death Star but not a Death Star. Maybe with an ability to destroy a planet or star system with the force. 'The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the force'

Mandalorians and/or Hutts as secondary villains.

I would love to see Stormtroopers back.

Chosen_Jedi74 and Saurion-Fett like this.
  20. tokyomaestro

tokyomaestro Jedi Youngling

Aug 11, 2003
    Star Wars Kid

21. Corvax855

Corvax855 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 23, 2011
    I'm going to jump on the Darth Plagueis bandwagon for the following reasons:

1.) Chekhov's Gun. This is an old adage that basically states: "You can't show a gun in the first act of a play without using it in a later act". The opera scene in Ep3 is a big gun.

2.) It ups the ante by forcing characters to confront a being that's on par with, or more powerful than the Emperor. Plagueis trained the Emperor for crying out loud! Audiences won't accept a villain that's any less than what we've seen before. In other words, the villain can't be just some rogue bounty hunter; the villain has to be quantifiably powerful in reference to the previous movies, otherwise people won't buy them as a threat. Plagueis is the man (or muun) for the job. By using him, you're basically saying, "If you thought the last guy was bad, you ain't seen nothing yet".

3.) Plagueis is essentially the father of Anakin Skywalker, and his story ties into the whole prophecy/chosen one/Midi-chlorian manipulation thing, which wasn't really cleared up in the first six films. This allows the filmmakers to do so, and brings me to my next point...

4.) Now that the Chosen One is dead, it makes the situation more dramatically tenuous. Going into the first six movies (even if you had never seen them before), you would always have a somewhat comforting notion that as long as Anakin was still alive, he could fulfill the prophecy and everything would work out fine. Not so this time, with Anakin dead and Plagueis lurking about. It also allows the torch to be passed from the Skywalker family (who were on a collision course with destiny thanks to the prophecy) to someone else.

5.) Plagueis was not a proponent of the Rule of Two, which allows him to use any sort of minion (or minions) he wants. The filmmakers could get really creative here, instead of having to rely on a token Sith apprentice.

Bottom line is I'd rather see them go off in a completely new direction in regard to the villains, and even the Jedi in this new trilogy. However, if they have to use a Sith, I hope it's Plagueis. If they just trot out some generic new Vader-esque Sith Lord, it's going to feel contrived and dissapointing.

22. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I would agree if it wasn't Lucas. :p

But yes, Plagueis would make a lot of sense.

Super_Battle_Droid likes this.
  23. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    Actually, bearing in mind how large a part the idea of cheating death played in ROTS, you already have a way to bring back the Emperor. Who says he too (like QGJ) hasn't found a way to survive. Maybe during the OT he was able to find out Plagueis's secrets but we weren't shown it. Force users retaining consciousness is already well-established in the saga. We could see Palps trying to come back into the galaxy in the same way Sauron does in LOTR, or Voldemort in Harry Potter. Somehow he could be building a new Sith army with Mandalorians as his soldiers.

24. yodasbum

yodasbum Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 4, 2004
    Darth Plagueis, although I like the character, IMO is difficult to bring into ST without being conceited- why would he stay hidden for 50 years if he survived? The idea of Sidious mentoring a Sith as a force ghost appeals however more information about the Sith would ruin there mistique. A return of a dead character would jump the shark/nuke the fridge for me. No sense of jeperdy becuase they will just have another life.

25. Corvax855

Corvax855 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 23, 2011
    That's just the thing, I think Plagueis actually HAS BEEN DEAD during the years that marked the rise of the Chosen One. At the end of the Plagueis novel, right before he dies, he actually courted death and allowed Sidious to kill him. Why would he do this? I think he realized that Anakin was going to destroy the Sith, so he decided to one-up the prophecy by "dying" in a way that would allow him to come back once the Chosen One was out of the picture. I'm not quite sure how he achieved this, but if anyone was smart and powerful enough to do it, it was Plagueis. So I think he will either be resurrected or wake up somehow, and be very pleased to see that both Anakin and Sidious (who was becoming a rival) are dead, allowing him to re-implement the Grand Plan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.