main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC I caught my boss looking at a mail order bride website today...

Discussion in 'Community' started by Kyle Katarn, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    So there I was, having a chat with my boss about loans not showing up correctly in some of our internal software when I noticed what looked like a mail order bride site on his monitor. Something like asianbeauties or something similar. I looked, glanced at him and he blushed before telling me everything, and I do mean EVERY-thing. It turns out that he is planning on going to Kazakhstan in February to meet his "bride" and marry her there then bring her back here to live with him. The whole thing has green card scam written all over it but he'll hear none of it, even after he told me "Yeah, I know it sounds shady, but we *love* each other."

Is it wrong to sit back and enjoy your front seat as the drama unfolds all while cracking Borat lines or has anyone else been in a situation like this and hopefully showed someone the light?

2. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Anyone who uses such a site/actually marries some via that service ought to be ashamed of themselves.

3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Probably just best to not comment on it at all, honestly. I mean, ordinarily I'd back the former option but he's your boss and could, theoretically, can your ass. :p

4. Kyle Katarn

Jul 10, 1998

Those are my thoughts too, I had to dig my fingernails deep into the palms of my hands to not bust out laughing when he confessed. Still gonna be awkward and uncomfortable come February when he's gone for an entire month. Perhaps I'll quietly setup an office pool to see who can guess how long she'll stick around after she gets her green card?

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    This thread is much more hilarious because of the Roger Sterling icon.

6. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    This is nonsense, kyle katarn. Just another one of your untruths.

JoinTheSchwarz and jp-30 like this.
  7. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Believe me, somewhere in this business this has happened before.

8. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    that's pretty sad, dude.

and i think it says a lot of very poor things about you that you want to exploit this situation for cheap laughs with your coworkers.

9. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Imaging he's talking about Bert Cooper?

10. jedi_of_ennth

jedi_of_ennth Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 1, 2005
    I used to work at a customer service desk in a small backwater Midwestern town and one day an old man rushed in and asked me to Western Union a thousand dollars to a poor Nigerian princess. I tried to explain that it was a scam, but my managers told me I had to heed his request. It was awkward.

11. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    He couldn't find a closer hooker?

12. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    Good for him. It's about time he settled down.

13. block

block Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2004
    You should probably tell him that love can't blossom on the internet.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  14. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    Wouldn't it be funny if she was a former Soviet sleeper agent who killed him after a night of lovemaking?

(Somehow, I'm getting images of a redheaded beauty, clad in black lingerie, sticking a gun in the garter of her stocking, then speaking Russian to her superiors in her compact communicator, bearing the Soviet hammer-and-sickle)

15. TheGuardianofArlon

TheGuardianofArlon Jedi Master star 6

Feb 26, 2007
    Talk about Black Widow

Amirite? Huh huh?

MASTERPRENN likes this.
  16. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    Arlie you are so right.

Point Given likes this.
  17. TheGuardianofArlon

TheGuardianofArlon Jedi Master star 6

Feb 26, 2007
    And your post is so wrong.

MASTERPRENN likes this.
  18. Darth Somnambulous

Darth Somnambulous Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 2, 2012
    My mother has a good friend from the Philippines who was (is?) a mail-order bride. And she really loves her husband. According to her, she received letters from over 50 men and chose her husband because he was the nicest/most interesting. I'm sure part of the reason she signed up was to move to the US, but that doesn't mean that is the only reason they are there.

19. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    lol, there's no way this guy is important enough to even be assassinated.

20. Kyle Katarn

Jul 10, 1998
    Probably not assassination so much as defrauded once he's married and she has a green card. I should point out that this guy is more "booksmart" than "peoplesmart", but he swears up and down that this whole thing is totally legit. He also told me that he hasn't told his parents about it yet, he's worried that they'll forbid him to travel and possibly write him out of a pretty hefty inheritance.

All the while I'm smiling, nodding, and running home to check the job listings for work elsewhere.