main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Info Episode 7 an original story

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by PrincessKenobi , Oct 31, 2012.

1. Womprataouille1974

Womprataouille1974 Jedi Padawan

Oct 31, 2012
    Cheers for sticking up for the Gungans. While not my personal fave SW species, I do not want the great news of a new trilogy to become a petri dish for tired old Jar Jar bashing. That crap was old back in 1999.

2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I hate to tell you this, but a character doesn't just cease to be really annoying with time.

Darth_Invidious and Ramza like this.
  3. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Ir they can stop being lazy & let the new up & coming ralph macurry type create new characters.

4. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Jar Jar was only one of the Gungans, the gungans are as much apart of the universe as the Wookies, tweliks, Ewoks & Hutts

obi-rob-kenobi4 likes this.
  5. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I agree with those who say just because it's an original story doesn't mean they will completely disregard the EU. Will things change? I'm sure they will, but just because they aren't using a story we've already seen told, doesn't mean they aren't going to use some of the characters, species, planets, etc.

6. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    :rolleyes: At this point I'm starting to wish Avengers had tanked. Now everything has to be an "Avengers-style movie universe".

EUdiscoverer1136 likes this.
  7. Womprataouille1974

Oct 31, 2012
    I agree that we may see some EU characters, and/or themes, as they are SW properties to be used by LFL as they see fit.

8. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    dis is nutsen.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  9. Womprataouille1974

Oct 31, 2012
    It just gives them some wiggle room to make a Boba Fett movie somewhere down the road and who could argue with that? (No doubt someone will...)

Jobertus and obi-rob-kenobi4 like this.
  10. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Yousa thinkin maybe wesa gonna argue?!

11. Womprataouille1974

Oct 31, 2012
    Nor do trolls with nothing positive to say fade away....

12. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    The Tree of Life part 22, directed by Whedon's aunt

13. GargantuanThrillMachine

GargantuanThrillMachine Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 7, 2012

i like this. i've delved into quite a bit of eu material, but the stories always just seemed more peripheral than anything else

14. AbelothIsSexy

AbelothIsSexy Jedi Youngling

Feb 4, 2012
    They need to pick this up right where the novels are now, 40 years after Endor. Mark, Carrie, and Harrison are the perfect age to come in and die in Ep7 to pass the story on to Ben and Jaina. They need to keep Canon on this with the novels and it's time for the original characters to go.

Jobertus likes this.
  15. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    If anything, the EU would benefit from having a film-marketable reason to finally fully shift focus onto the next generation of characters beyond the Big Three.

16. Saurion-Fett

Saurion-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001
    not sure if this helps but its from the offical site
    The Long, Winding, and Shapeshifting Trail to Episodes VII, VIII & IX

J.W. Rinzler | October 30, 2012
    The long conjectured third Star Wars trilogy has kept fans guessing for decades, and may even have a few numerologists working on their mysteries. George Lucas’s shifting feelings about future Star Wars trilogies have consistently clouded the picture. Given the difficulties associated with the birth of Star Wars in 1977, it’s no wonder that Lucas’s ideas kaleidoscoped. When trying to get such a big undertaking up and running and out the door, visions of the future are understandably hazy. But, as of October 30, 2012, Episodes VII, VIII & IX have been announced as real and soon to be tangible – but they’ve existed as gossamer spirits for nearly 40 years.
    On December 29, 1975, in conversation with Alan Dean Foster per the novelization of Star Wars, Lucas mentioned the prequel trilogy along with what would become Episodes V and VI: “I want to have Luke kiss the Princess in the second book. In the third book, I want the story just about the soap opera of the Skywalker family, which ends with the destruction of the Empire. Then someday I want to do the back story of Kenobi as a young man – a story of the Jedi and how the Emperor eventually takes over and turns the whole thing from a Republic into an Empire, and tricks all the Jedi and kills them. The whole battle where Luke’s father gets killed. That would be impossible to do, but it’s great to dream about.”

As Lucas came to terms with Twentieth Century-Fox during the making of Star Wars, he secured the legal rights to his sequels, though they remained undefined at the time. On location for the first phase of principal photography in Tunisia in March 1976, Lucas began a long tradition of talking with close collaborators, voicing his ideas for these other episodes and trilogies, much as Walt Disney would do of his projects.
    “You know, when I first did this, it was four trilogies,” Mark Hamill recalled in 2004, speaking of their conversation in 1976. “Twelve movies! Out on the desert, any time between setups… lots of free time. And George was talking about this whole thing… ‘Um, how’d you like to be in Episode IX?’ ‘When is that going to be?’ ‘2011.’ […] I said, ‘Well, what do you want me to do?’ He said, ‘You’ll just be like a cameo. You’ll be like Obi-Wan handing the lightsaber down to the next new hope.’”
    In 1978, a Time magazine article reported that the Star Wars Corporation (a subsidiary Lucas had formed for Star Wars) would be producing “Star Wars II [Empire], and then, count them, 10 other planned sequels.” At that time Lucas consistently mentioned 12 films and even created a barebones outline to that effect.

WOW

17. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    You couldn't really do the Thrawn ones anyway. The Heroes are too old for that series

18. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I think from a marketing/merchandise point of view, it makes sense for the ST to EMBRACE the EU.

When the movies start, and people ask "It's 40 years later?! What have Luke, Han, and Leia been doing??" then they can be referred to the EU books and comics. Sales for all of that material will really go up, and for zero additional cost on LFL's part. It's basically free money for them, a massive cash cow that' waiting to be milked.

19. JediMJS

JediMJS Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    Personally, I would be heartbroken if Mara Jade was completely written out of cannon, and I say that not because cannon is the be all/ end all of my star Wars enjoyment, but because Mara Jade is a complex, well-fleshed out character. Anyone have any thoughts on who will/ won't be written out?

20. Darth Ganthet

Darth Ganthet Jedi Padawan

Oct 31, 2012
    I don't understand the viewpoint that the EU wouldn't matter if the new films contradict them. I'm an EU fanatic, but I could care less if the movies blaze another trail. It doesn't take the books off my shelves, and it doesn't wipe the words off the pages. The ones that are good will still be good. The ones that are bad will still be bad. I'm actually bothered by the notion that a person's enjoyment of a work of fiction hinges on a false idea of legitimacy. It's all fiction anyway. You can't make fiction any less fiction.

It'd be fantastic if the films didn't ignore the EU, but the films can still be fantastic themselves without considering the EU. The two could exist side-by-side. Why should Lucasbooks stop publishing the current version of the EU? And if they do, it's not like they'll stop selling the ones that exist. The concept of "warring continuities" (ooh, I hope that term catches on) is silly considering it's all equally fictional. Enjoy what's good, don't enjoy what's bad, and it's all "counts".

tom likes this.
  21. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    It will have to involve recasting the characters, which has happened before to great effect. (Bond for example).

22. YODA the all powerful

YODA the all powerful Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    I agree with this take. It doesn't sound like they want to contradict the EU, but add new original material. I could easily see cameos by EU characters or references as you describe.

Avoiding usage of the main EU characters entirely is the easiest way to avoid conflict with the established stories.

In no way do I think they need to be overly concerned with contradicting the EU stories though. I just want a good original story whether contradictory or not.

23. djjsin

djjsin Jedi Youngling

May 11, 2005
    I hope they blaze a new trial outside of the EU. I'm not an EU person and I don't want them to have all these "constraints to follow" limiting what Lucas real story should have been. I don't like the idea of Luke being married, Though I think the ides of Han and Leia kids should be the focal point since its still the "skywalkers", i dont want it to be this current set that was created by someone else. besides lucas. Even though hes out now, it seems as tough theyvd put some extensive work into this already'. I. don't like the whole future chain of kids in the EU, so ya. Completely wiping over the EU is fine with me.

In my mind we need some situation, that is as galactically epic as the rise or fall of the galactic government, while staying involved with the "Skywalker" bloodline as the main story, with a combination of old OT, PT and new main characters created specifically for this trilogy. PT would be very minimal, ghosts or quick hologram recordings. OT would be there to pass the torch...al la spock in the new star trek. I would like to see the new republic in its glory, this to take play 30 plus years after rotj, and I would like it to be centered around a group of new young jedi being trained, where some beloved characters will eventually shock everyone and fall to the dark side putting conflict in the group.

24. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The individual reading experiences wouldn't be affected too much, but their ultimate contribution would be minimized. Most people read a SW book because they want to experience something that "happened" in relation to the films and other material, something that furthers the adventures of those characters which they have such interest in.

Sure, reading a great story is still entertaining- but the ultimate impact of any character development or events is greatly diminished if it literally has no effect on what comes next (or, for prequel material, isn't "the real story behind (insert character backstory/referenced event/etc)"). It's kind of like a movie or Tv show using the "it was all a dream" cliche to dig the story out of committing to the events it just told. It feels cheap/insulting to the audience

Such "constraints" would only be as limiting as the creativity of those involved. For example: Don't like the idea of Luke being married? The movie doesn't have to mention his marriage. It only has to avoid saying Luke was never married.

That's not very limiting at all. Unless the entire premise of the trilogy is centered around the concept of Luke never having been married so that its so important it has to be addressed/included, there's no reason for them to go out of their way to say it if they're not going to do anything with it- it'd just be wasting valuable screen time that could be used for something else relevant to the plot.

I mean, we're dealing with professional storytellers here- it would only take an amateur a minimal amount of effort to work around the EU without comprising their creative vision, so it's certainly within the realm of possibility for such professionals.

EUdiscoverer1136 and Jobertus like this.
  25. Darth Ganthet

Darth Ganthet Jedi Padawan

Oct 31, 2012
    All goods points. I don't disagree with anything you said. It's just that IF the films disregard the EU, I am personally prepared to accept it. And who knows, if they do, the books may still continue in their own continuity, and thus "count" in regard to itself and the following installments.

I like what you said about throwaway references, a la "You fought in the Clone Wars?", etc. That would be a fantastic way to make everyone happy.