main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Info Episode 7 an original story

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by PrincessKenobi , Oct 31, 2012.

1. djjsin

djjsin Jedi Youngling

May 11, 2005
    Its not that easy though. Especially when you start thinking of the children thing. A 70 unwed Jedi master Luke head of the new jedi order would be different different person then who married with kids Luke is. And then were exactly do you plug in? the EU after rotj went pretty damn far. Luke's got like 10 spawn...a lot died including his wife. They got grandkids, Solos kids are already dead and even there grandchildren are already are evil. Its gone way to deep and to far. And If they go way far and don't even mention any of that...then who's the story going to be centered around. I don't want it to be Luke just teaching some randoms. This is about the skywalker bloodline. I don't know. Ugh

And something just doesn't feel right about having all these extended universe guys in the film, but maybe it would make sense. It would "legitimize" already established characters to the mainstream...but still....just doesn't feel right to have characters that Lucas didn't create. Not in the episodes

I guess we shall just have to wait and see.

2. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I don't think the EU fans wishing for EU characters in the movie are really considering the implications of their wish, monkey paw style. Think of what the The Clone Wars series has done to existing EU material, and multiply that for 100.

darthhelinith likes this.
  3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Clearly the EU takes place in GFFA-1610 and the films will take place in GFFA-616.

And then somebody will say "Wait a minute, what if we did a multiverse crossover?!"

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  4. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    It has been officially stated that the ST is being treated almost exactly as the "Old Republic" era stuff is. By that I mean it will be set FAR into the future. Far away from the films so they will finally have the true freedom they need in order to not contradict anything in the OS (Original Saga).

The ST will be set decades, maybe hundreds of years in the future of the SW galaxy.

Besides 3P0, and R2 NONE of the OS cast members will be in this new trilogy guys. Realize that.

At the very, most Mark could have a small quick cameo appearance in Episode 7 as a force ghost but thats about it.

Realistically speaking special "Iconic" characters with long lifespans like Boba Fett, Chewbacca and the Force Ghost of Yoda could have very small parts as the minor, iconic side characters they have always been but thats about it.

5. LANDOROCKS

LANDOROCKS Jedi Knight

Oct 30, 2012

Erm - where is the 'official' statement that the ST will be set far in the future?

I am putting $100 on Mark Hamill being in at least the first one playing Luke again.

Jobertus and JainaSoloYJK like this.
  6. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    PPOR.

7. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    First post on the new forums...

To be honest, I am dearly hoping they take a "50 years later" approach, and even remain cautiously optimistic they will. Why?

1. It allows just enough room to actually retcon things in some ways that they can still somewhat fit, or only lose a few stories, ect. ect.
    2. It fits with Luke's age. And to be honest, I think there are few of us who would not enjoy seeing 60+ Jedi Master Luke leading his established grand order, played by Hamill himself, ESPECIALLY if it is done in a way that does not thwart existing material.
    3. This roughly falls in line with what little we DO know about episode VII-IX. It's been said that Lucas talked about doing exactly what was said in point 2. Who knows? It makes sense.

The audience is more accepting of these things than one may realize, especially if the new and current story is told. They don't need to see every detail of past stories to get an established setting in place that meshes together most things and later gets the differences explained away.

On the other hand, every story set after ep 6 could simply be tossed out. Pre ep 6 stuff is likely fine. I bet we will see existing concepts and EU characters getting a mention/cameo in many places.

8. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
  9. LANDOROCKS

LANDOROCKS Jedi Knight

Oct 30, 2012

Unless I'm missing something, it doesn't say anything about being 'far into the future' there? Just that it would be an original story.

???

Jobertus likes this.
  10. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    There is nothing in that article indicating your claims of a far-future premise - it's exactly what's in the OP: "Not based on an EU work." Again: PPOR.

11. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I'm still betting 20-30 years and a generation... Hey, maybe they'll keep all the EU up to the NJO and dump everything post or something.

12. Vespasian

Vespasian Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    I think it's a good idea to construct an original story.

My friends (your typical 'general audience') consider me a Star Wars expert, even though I've read like 4 or 5 SW books and played a few video games.

Now, their first question will be "where is Chewie"? I say "he's dead". They say "huh?". Then I cannot really elaborate, because I haven't read the book where he was killed off.

General audience would be turned off by too heavy Extended Universe stuff. I'm not crazy about EU either, I like some stories, but it's waaay too much now for me now.

13. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    It hasn't.

14. Motterman

Motterman Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 22, 2000
    If they're going to completely invalidate all of the EU stuff, why would they need this guy to research anything?

Jobertus likes this.
  15. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    So they don't have to come up with all the new ideas themselves? Even if they do choose to disregard the preexisting continuity, that doesn't mean they can't raid it for as much material as they want.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  16. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Plus Pablo is not just an EU guy. Research can mean a lot of things.

17. Saurion-Fett

Saurion-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001
    It will follow the clasic theme of all great stories......boy meets girl....boy kisses girl.....boy finds out its his sister then kills his dad

Jobertus likes this.
  18. Saurion-Fett

Jul 3, 2001
    posted this in another thred so remove if needed...

The seventh film in the series is due for release in 2015, following the news that Disney has bought the production company LucasFilm for £2.5bn - securing the rights to the series and revealing plans to make episodes 7, 8 and 9 over the next nine years.
    And speaking to the website The Wrap, Pollock - who is the author of Skywalking: The Life And Films Of George Lucas - revealed that Lucas had originally outlined plots for tweleve Star Wars movies, which he was given access to when researching his book.
    He also said that the next three instalments could potentially be among the best yet.
    [​IMG]Mark Hamill is reportedly unlikely to return to the role of Luke Skywalker (Picture: Getty Images)
    'The three most exciting stories were parts 7,8 and 9,' Pollock said.
    'They had propulsive action, really interesting new worlds, new characters. I remember thinking, "I want to see these three movies".'
    Pollock added that the outlines for the next episodes in Lucas' saga featured Luke Skywalker in his thirties and forties - but said Mark Hamill, who played the role in the original trilogy of films, was unlikely to return.
    He also confirmed that the seventh film would be based on the plot outline he had read, saying that Lucas' stories had been 'in part what Disney bought', and that it would be a completely original story set 20 years after the events of the first three films

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/film/916644-star-wars-7-could-feature-middle-aged-luke-says-lucas-biographer#ixzz2AyTl0U3U

19. Voss

Voss Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    Saurion-Fett your Mark Hamill not returning is incorrect. Mark Hamill is at every Con, constantly thanking fans, trying to distinguish himself as an actor. He loves his Luke days. And when filming wrapped on Jedi, he said 'we need to do more, what about all the adventures Luke could still have.' He would most definetly return.

I agree with a post on the First page that said this will continue the lives of Luke, Han, And Leia. And the future of the Jedi counsel. Lucas in the past has said that the Final trilogy, the ones he completed treatments for and turned over to disney, would have Luke in the Obi Wan role. Older Wise Mentor. Luke must and will return.

As far as the books are concerned, everyone including Lucas has always looked at them as hypothetical (George said it 3 years ago, Anthony Daniels even said it at Celebration VI.) So I believe unfortunately and fortunately that the books will be disregarded. As much as a One off Batman story might be its seperate series of events, so will the books. But VII VIII and IX will be main storyline. Thats all the evidence I see thus far... in a galaxy far far away

20. Saurion-Fett

Jul 3, 2001
    its not my story or opinion just a news story that just popped up on my alerts....i dont know either way

21. Voss

Voss Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    My Bad. Well they are wrong.:D

22. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    I really, REALLY want Luke to be in this one somehow...voice recording, Force ghost, whatever. And I want him played by Mark. He IS Luke. And hey, if Ford can play an older Indy, why can't Hamill play an older Luke?

As long as Luke is at least in the first one or has some kind of cameo, I'll be happy.

23. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    He'll be a wise old Jedi Master in the first is my guess, but may not survive the film.

24. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    (literally just signed up to reply to this post)

In 2008/09, there were reports of a meeting at Skywalker ranch which - allegedly - discussed a new trilogy. One of the rumours was a ST set 1,000 years in the future, which had nothing to do with the Skywalker family at all. However, it was never confirmed.
    (I assumed X - XII was meant to be the trilogy set in the future, ending with the revelation the whole entire sage was being told from the prospective of R2 (who was relaying the story to the Keeper of the Whills))

Still, media reports/rumours speculate a time line between 3-40 years after RoTJ with a potential female protagonist. IF any EU characters are used, I'm guessing it will only be Jaina Solo and Ben Skywalker. I'm pretty confident the Yuuzhan Vong, One Sith and the Lost Tribe of the Sith will make zero appearance or reference; more or less a comparison to the Force Wars and how the original Jedi Order struggle maintaining a balance between light and dark.

In other words, Disney are probably going to play it very straight and safe.

25. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Luke only has one son, Ben. If you factor in the Legacy comics, the bloodline does go on to Cade, but the ST would at the very least bring those comics into question (sadly- they were excellent). Only Jaina Solo remains of the Solo children, plus Jacen's daughter Allana as a grandchild.Allana can even be offscreen with her mother on Hapes away from the events of the ST.

All the other younger characters are supporting side characters like Wedge's children, Corran horn's kids, etc. And they don't have to show up at all (the former can be off piloting somewhere while the latter can be training or doing some kind of Jedi patrol anywhere in the galaxy).

So it's really just Ben and Jaina that are the hardest to ignore.Still, not impossible- if the ST only requires Luke to be teaching even younger Jedi at the new temple or something, Ben can be off doing other adventures, etc.

I'd like to think Luke would still be Luke regardless if he has had kids or not. And, if the focus is to continue to be on the Skywalker lineage, then him being with kids is more likely anyways.

Anyways, no need to go speculate too deeply into until we know whats to come.

Better a salvageable some than an absolute none.