main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social Where is everyone who said "Episode 7 will NOT happen"?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Darth_Punk, Nov 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Punk

Darth_Punk Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    Sorry but I have to do this from my time previously on the boards. The thing that got on my wick the most about star wars fans were how much they took GL words as gospel even though he lied to them on many times.

I got into arguments about how it is "possible" for a sequel trilogy due to never say never yet I got bombarded by people who quoted many GL quotes saying that there would never be an episode 7 etc.

So this post is purely to state that the impossible might just be possible. If you were one of these people then please come here to eat some humble pie...

2. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I bet they're having a lot of sex.

3. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    To be fair I thought it would NEVER happen. EVER! But meh, I don't mind being wrong lol

4. ThatWanFromStewjon

ThatWanFromStewjon Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 8, 2012
    Not with me she isn't ;)

The aul' doll hates being wrong and is in a right mood.

Anyways finding out there was a new trilogy was kind of like sex anyway :)

5. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    No wait... I didn't mean that I ... You know!!!

Cos I didn't...!!!

Aw he'll... Yes I did...!!! :p

6. Vespasian

Vespasian Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    Yeah, I thought the Sequel Trilogy would never happen. I said so in these forums, yes. George Lucas said it to reporters. I expected new Star Wars films down the road (like the Clone Wars animated movie), but a continuation? Nope.

BUT: I'm happy to be proven wrong! Would I eat humble pie? Yes. (just like Shakespeare who ate umble pies, without an 'h' though...)

Well, I guess you mean specifically the people you argued with, I was not one them, but still

STAR WARS EPISODE VII, yeyy!!!!

7. yodasbum

yodasbum Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 4, 2004
    I thought that it was over with Sith. Even though domain names where secured during the PT, another film in Clone Wars and Mayhew claiming that he'd signed up for ST trilogy. After the PT , George's explixt instructions not to have a ST and Georges interview earlier this year I didn't expect ST to come out, ever. I would have expected a reboot way more than sequels.

Is George a liar or the king of misdirection. I would guess that he knew about this deal when he did his interview earlier this year.

8. Vespasian

Vespasian Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    He is just the king of misdirection and he changes his mind all the time.

Because technically, he won't do the Sequel Trilogy, others will at Lucasfilm and Disney.

9. Saurion-Fett

Saurion-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001
    I thought he would have to die first.......this is much better

Bashar likes this.
  10. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    He is neither. He said wouldn't and he isn't.

He has detailed plot outline and is an advisor, but he is sticking to his word.

To be honest, there is a lot of talk here of Lucas' toing and froing in the past but when has he ever lied to us.

I don't think he ever said he'd never make the prequels, only that he couldn't until the technology caught up.

11. Saurion-Fett

Saurion-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001
    Lucus and steve sansweet {spelling} have been known for flip flopping

12. yodasbum

yodasbum Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 4, 2004
    He did say that he didn't want anyone making the sequel trilogy and that he'd left explict instructions with Lfl that even after his death they would not be made.

In an interview published in Total Film in May 2008, Lucas also ruled out anybody else ever making the sequel trilogy (or other future Star Wars features). Asked if he was happy for new Star Wars tales to be told after he was gone, Lucas replied: "I've left pretty explicit instructions for there not to be any more features. There will definitely be no Episodes VII–IX'.

darklordoftech and Saurion-Fett like this.
  13. captain_trips

captain_trips Jedi Knight

Oct 31, 2012
    Amazing how $4.6 billion can change your mind, isn't it? :)

yodasbum likes this.
  14. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    Down with that sort of thing.

Feet should be covered at all times :eek:

15. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    Well, that blows my statement clean out of the sky.

Fair enough. ;)

yodasbum likes this.
  16. Rodimus1980

Rodimus1980 Jedi Knight

Nov 1, 2009
    You can't blame these people. George Lucas himself said no at one point.

17. garrwars

garrwars Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 31, 2011
    I'll admit that I never thought that 7,8,&9 would happen. And this is the most exciting news I've heard in my life. And yes I'm having sex but only with my wife.

18. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    trips: More likely, he warmed up to the idea as TCW progressed and he saw how well they were doing without him. He wants Star Wars to live on long after his death and having the ST made is the perfect way to "secure a peaceful transition" ;)
    Money has little to do with it from his perspective.

I didn't think that this would happen. I did believe, however, that if GL would change his mind, it would be possible to expand on the Saga in a satisfying way.

Sequels - they satisfy
    /LM

19. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    That was my thought as well...as you said, this is a much better scenario!

20. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    *raises hand* Hey, I took they guy at his word. But I guess George underestimated his own love for the story and didn't know at that point he was going to sell.

As long as it has Luke in some way, shape, or form, I'm happy.

21. moxlox

moxlox Jedi Master star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    [face_dancing]

Now that made me laugh! [face_laugh]

22. WhinyLuke

WhinyLuke Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 22, 2012
    I think when those people, like myself, said a 7 wouldnt happen they were talking about "Lucas' Star Wars" not "Diseny's Star Wars" every idea, plan, thought changed at the buying

Chewbacca89 likes this.
  23. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    It hasn't happened yet.

24. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    It's still Lucas's Star Wars. Disney are the new owners, but Lucasfilm are making the movies.

Disney - they are the wallet
    /LM

25. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Well, if you trusted Lucas, it would have appeared that the sequel trilogy wasn't going to happen. Through much of the prequels when he was asked about a sequel trilogy, he backtracked and denied ever having been serious about it and said things like (paraphrased) "I once joked that wouldn't it be fun to come back in a few decades and do sequels when we're all much older, though some took me seriously. It was just a joke that spun out of control." And there was an interview with him in which he explicitly states that he has left directions that there were to be no more features (films) after he was gone (dead/retired?) which would have meant that there was to be no sequel trilogy with or without him.

Though he's apparently changed his mind, and I think Steve Sansweet (or maybe it was someone else) recently said that they think this change of heart may have in part been a result of Lucas having fun working on The Clone Wars. As for TCW, Lucas himself used to say that he was going to get it started and then step down, though 5 seasons later that's yet to happen and the supervising director, Dave Filoni, even remarked that he'd believe it when he sees it since Lucas remains heavily involved in that show.

So Lucas changed his mind/Lied/Misdirected.

From 2008​

TOTAL FILM: "Are you happy for new Star Wars tales to be told after you're gone?"

LUCAS: "I've left pretty explicit instructions for there not to be any more features. There will definitely be no Episodes VII–IX. That's because there isn't any story. I mean, I never thought of anything. And now there have been novels about the events after Episode VI, which isn't at all what I would have done with it. The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story. Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned and Luke doesn't get married..."​

Fast forward to 2012... SURPRISE!

So I don't blame people for thinking there wouldn't be a sequel trilogy. Lucas himself said there wouldn't and didn't really leave any room for misinterpretation. He either knew he was going to go ahead with a Sequel Trilogy back in 2008 and has lied to mislead people for 4 years, or he suddenly changed his mind after working on TCW.

However, having said that, I figured there would be more films after Lucas died and someone else took over. Star Wars is too lucrative to let die like that. What surprises me is the sequels proceeding with Lucas still alive, and that he's on board for them.

darklordoftech likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.