main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Are the OT cast too old now?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by WhinyLuke, Oct 31, 2012.

1. ShelbySpencer

ShelbySpencer Jedi Youngling

Oct 30, 2012
    I think they could all pull it off with the write storyline and script. But I think they should segway into the next generation of Jedi. Like maybe Jacen, Jaina, Anakin and Ben.

2. ElevationNation

ElevationNation Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 26, 2011
    That's a good idea!

3. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    But that doesn't solve the problem. If anything, it only makes it worse. There are still tons of EU works in the Before the Saga era that will be affected, not to mention the ripples that will travel down to later EU works in the timeline as a direct result.

In terms of cluing in the audience as to what happened prior to the new set of films - I don't think you need to worry about that. That's the magic of storytelling. If done right, we'll be able to connect the dots without having to rely on supplemental material. Also, keep in mind that the majority of mainstream moviegoers will have never read a Star Wars novel. They will need to cater to those people moreso than the hardcore fans that take in everything with the Star Wars label.

Hitchhiking-Ghost likes this.
  4. klooney

klooney Jedi Master star 1

Jul 2, 2009
    I think it really is going to depend on the treatments for 7,8 & 9. If they continue on with the main characters shortly after ROTJ then recasting is the only reasonable option. They are pretty iconic characters and it would make sense to keep them alive with younger actors.

Then again, if 7,8 & 9 are anything like the ones rumored for decades now, the original cast are probably age-appropriate to appear in them. Long after we are all dead and gone, new Star Wars films will still be made with new characters and stories. However, the near future is really the only realistic time to involve any of the original cast before they really are too old. It would be a shame if Luke Skywalker as Mark Hamill never got to power up a light saber one last time. They ought to be included now, since it just won't be an option in the future and there's all the time in the world to explore other characters and stories in the SW universe.

Jobertus and HanSolo29 like this.
  5. vacaub

vacaub Jedi Youngling

Oct 18, 2004
    No. Remaking the OT would just destroy whatever soul "Star Wars" has left. I can't even begin to tell you how wrong even mentioning a remake of the OT is.

Sure, the PT duels were more exciting, and in my opinion better (In terms of wielding a blade that has no weight), but the OT was more than that.

I will agree that, depending on the time line and whether the original characters make an appearance that some re-casting may be in order. I am okay with that.

I wouldn't mind seeing Luke practicing with 20 remotes just to relax tough:p

6. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    I agree with you on Hamill, think he would be great in a modern Obi-wan type of position directing a new generation of on screen Jedi... but I think Fisher is done with Star Wars in terms of usefulness, and I don't think Ford would even entertain the notion.

7. DarthMateous

DarthMateous Jedi Master star 4

Aug 1, 2002
    Star Wars has always been about the Skywalker family. So I think Luke should be one of the main characters. And I think Hamill would be up to the task. And Leia could be integral in rebuilding the senate. Maybe Fisher could be in it. But we'll see.

8. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    If we're going by their current age etc, the Senate has long since been rebuilt, thus wouldn't be a part of the story IMO.

9. DarthMateous

DarthMateous Jedi Master star 4

Aug 1, 2002
    True. So maybe the Senate is just becoming stable again (After all 20 years is still not that long in terms of rebuilding a government...look at Iraq.) and something threatens to divide the re-established republic.

10. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    Imagine Ford says no... then imagine Leia without Han... just doesn't seem to work IMO.

11. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Funny how the "good stuff" you refer to comes from the hackiest of hack authors of the Bantam era. And if they were among the best that era had to offer, well, what more can be said?

12. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    They are too old let them be. Bring in new faces & talent, this is a new story we don't need old names in it.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  13. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    If he says no, the Episode could begin with Han's funeral, and just use a hologram of a young Han for his memorial.

UseTheForceLady likes this.
  14. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    That would make me cry...as would the on-screen killing of ANY OT character, especially Luke. :_|But story-wise, I wouldn't mind. Look what they did in BTTF when Crispen Glover wouldn't come back. They turned him into a tombstone.

The only way I can see this going down without a coup is to set it about 20-30 years after ROTJ and the Jedi Order has already been reestablished...the children of Leia and Han then encounter a new problem that the galaxy must be saved from, and maybe at the end Luke dies and passes the torch to them, a'la Yoda in ROTJ. Or Han's kids follow in his footsteps and have no Force talents whatsoever. Of course given their lineage that would be preposterous...;)

15. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    How? They could follow the main plot of TotJ/KOTOR1&2 with some minor changes, very little would be affected.

How are you gonna tell the 40 years of conflicts, huge change in the galaxy and many new characters in the movie? Yes most of the people didn't read the novel that's why it would not work, they couldn't figure out if we directly jump to post 40ABY.

16. Jerec350

Jerec350 Jedi Youngling

Mar 30, 2002
    Mark Hamill could easily play Grand Jedi Master Luke Skywalker. Harrison Ford could play Han again with no problem if he'd be willing to do it. But Carrie Fisher is a haggard, bat-poop crazy, old lady now that no amount of CGI de-aging could help. I met her at Dragon*Con last year in Atlanta and while talking to us she kept trying to paint our faces with glitter and she would shout "Well, God D***!" after everything she said. My childhood fantasy of Princess Leia was shattered. I wish I had not met her. In my mind I see the only way this working is to have it take place after the novels and have Han and Leia out of the picture with Luke running the Jedi Academy with Ben and Jaina. To recast the big 3 would be too much of a distraction I think because people would be missing the original actors instead of truly enjoying the film.

17. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Hamill is only 61 and Fisher is still in her mid fifties. Ford has just turned 70, but he still looks great. May I remind people that Sir Ian Mckellen has just reprised his role as Gandalf, and he's 73. Age is not the question here. If the new trilogy takes place about 30 years after ROTJ, then there's no issue.

18. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    "It's not the years, it's the mileage." ;)

oierem likes this.
  19. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    I see nothing wrong with it at all, They should all be recast a new actor for a younger stronger faster Luke Skywalker and that is how it should be. Young actors are better.

20. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004

I agree. For example, if they truly do want Han Solo to return, but Ford puts his foot down and refuses, then Solo won't be in the film(s). It’s as simple as that. You can't recast Han Solo. It’s a bit like Bill Murray with Ghostbusters 3. He's said time and time again that he doesn't want to do it, so instead of recasting, his character has just been written out.

21. Remeral Vhett

Remeral Vhett Jedi Youngling

Nov 1, 2012
    The Big Three would be best cast as NOT the main characters. I think it would be awesome if the trilogy was about their kids and Luke, Leia, and Han were in advisory/background roles.

22. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    The best way is to pick the Legacy era, let Luke appear in the holocron and make a cameo appearance.

23. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Are the OT cast to old now?

I don't actually know what condition Peter Cushing or Alec Guiness are in these days, so I cannot accurately answer this question...

24. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    To be leads absolutely. Supporting Characters They work just fine.

25. AquaVitae

AquaVitae Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 17, 2008
    Was