main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Excited more for prequels or sequels?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by WhiskeyGold, Nov 1, 2012.

1. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    Are you guys more hyped up for the new sequels than you were when you the prequel was finally being made? I wait for the prequel for about 15 years so I think I was more excited for you

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    You're more excited for me? Thanks! [face_love]

I have to say, I'm more excited for the sequels. That's not to say I wasn't excited for the prequels (and I was a little kid when the first one came out, so there was that, too), but with the sequels, we're truly pioneering off into unknown territory. That's way more exciting to me, than just simply connecting the dots of the story, like the prequels did.

3. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I'm most excited about the Middle Earth prequel trilogy. But I'm very optimistic that the SW sequel trilogy can be better than the prequel trilogy, to the extent that retaining George Lucas as "creative consultant" mostly means that they will not return his phone calls.

Darth_Articulate likes this.
  4. JediMJS

JediMJS Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    Hard to say. I was 10 when AOTC came out, and i'm pretty sure I was the happiest little kid on the planet reading SW Insider, trolling the internet on our Windows 98 computer for trivia, and finally seeing the film through my whimsical child's eyes. Would be hard to beat or mirror that level of happiness ever again. Womp womp.

5. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    I think I'm equally excited as both are/were long awaited continuation of the Star Wars saga on the big screen...period.

6. Dranem

Dranem JCF Banner Contest Winner star 1 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 31, 2012
    I was excited for the prequels, but in a different way. The thing that always tempered my excitement was that the story was so constrictive in that it had to end in a certain way to bridge the trilogies. This one is more interesting to me because it can really expand and truly be it's own thing.

7. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    I think I'm even more excited. We knew the basic story of the prequels before they ever came out but with the sequels we know nothing. Here's hoping for a jaw dropping, didn't see that coming, "I am you Father." plot twist.

Darth_Quintonis and Jcuk like this.
  8. Vespasian

Vespasian Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    I was 9 years old (1998) when I read about the coming of Episode I in a movie magazine, then I was really excited. I got my mum to buy the Soundtrack on cassette, I listened to while writing SW stories on her old typewriter... My friends and me got the sticker album and exchanged stickers, my brother got me a Nute Gunray action figure. :D those were the days!

(and I'm one of those kids who really liked TPM... I still love it, it has a nostalgic factor for me, also, I think it was a lot more carefree then Episodes II, III or VI)

As for Episode VII, I have more time to prepare myself for it then Episode I. I'm really excited, but I'm not a 9-year old kid anymore, I don't think I'll get the sticker album this time around.:)

Dranem likes this.
  9. Dranem

Dranem JCF Banner Contest Winner star 1 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 31, 2012
    I think what excites me most this time around is that the speculation will be confirmed or debunked pretty quickly this time around. There were rumblings about Episode I at the time of the special edition re-releases and my friends and I would talk for hours about it. The first details (especially in the early days of the internet) were scarce. Now as soon as casting or story lines are confirmed, we will know almost instantly. Plus with an eye on a 2015 release its more like the timeframe in between I-II, II-III, where information came at a pretty steady drip.

Hope that made sense...

10. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Sequels. Prequels never really captivated me in the same way this has. I love Star Wars, but I was not a member here then so the excitement for the Prequels was not quite as catching as it this time!

11. Ron Fett

Ron Fett Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    Definitely more excited for the ST. I was 8 when Ep1 came out, but not old enough to fully grasp the scope of the significance of an entirely new trilogy.

12. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    Sequels. I was excited about the prequels, and I like them enough....BUT the past two days, I feel like I did back in 1983 after Jedi came out, discussing excitedly with the other kids about 'what's gonna happen next". My theory back then was that the next movie would be about Luke being very old, my speculation was possibly 100 years old or so (because Yoda was 900 of course! It was being a jedi master that made you live long, nothing to do with the species haha ) and he was the leader of the new Jedi, and the bad guys were going to an alien species that had faces that looked like Darth Vader's mask. I guess we shall see, always in motion the future is

13. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    I also agree with an above post...we are truly pioneering into new territory this time, the prequels and clone wars just can't quite do that. This has me much more excited than the prequels could

14. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    If the prequels would have been done RIGHT, i would say PT. Just for the Clone Wars, seeing Vader become Vader. But, it was just done all wrong. Even EP III was just forced and rushed.

That said, im ecstatic that we are getting the ST. Just praying they dont screw it up.....

Pfluegermeister and Han Yolo like this.
  15. mourning dewback

mourning dewback Jedi Master

May 30, 1999
    I've been dreaming of a sequel since the 80s when my big brother and his friends would speculate endlessly on "what's next".... from Boba Fett's obvious survival (he's too awesome to die!), or a scary wave of baddies coming from across the galaxy to face Luke and his newly trained army of knights... endless possibilities! Sequels are not constrained - especially if the EU is now gonna be the alternate universe. What a cool time to love SW and movies.

kevmp likes this.
  16. TheVortex3

TheVortex3 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 24, 2012
    I'm definitely much more excited for the sequel trilogy.

Team Padme likes this.
  17. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    Know what the most exciting part for me was? Seeing a NEW opening crawl for the first time. I mean, that level of excitement is nerdgasmic. I'm seriously shaking with how excited I am for it to happen again. I'm not a prequel hater, quite the opposite, but I'd say I'm more excited for the new ones. I mean, we all thought Star Wars was over, and bam! We may have more Star Wars movies in the next 20 years than we have altogether right now!

18. DarthButt

DarthButt Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2003
    Probably the prequels. I had already known much of the history to some level and I was very excited to see it put on screen and the details the movies would bring to that story. While I am very excited about ST, it's too soon to say. How well it will be done? It depends on the story. Some continuity will be nice. Some cute kids stuff won't be so nice. I will be optimistic.

mourning dewback likes this.
  19. GargantuanThrillMachine

GargantuanThrillMachine Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 7, 2012
    it was a nice surprise to hear about the new star wars due to a certain belief it was over. i will, however, admit skepticism as a majority and guarded for the remainder. see also: foolishly optimistic

20. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    Agreed, the opening of The Clone Wars movie didn't quite cut it for me. I do love the show though

21. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    More excited, back when the PT came out I was pretty young at the time,I have a better grasp of things now.

22. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I think I'm more excited for the sequels. Yes. The reason being, I just don't know what to expect. For any of it. I don't know what we're going to get. There's always been so much more mystery attached to "what happens after" than "what happened before". With the prequels, we pretty much knew the bare basics of what to expect. Not so here. That's why I'm more excited for this trilogy than for the prequel trilogy.

HankSolo likes this.
  23. Boba_Fat83

Boba_Fat83 Jedi Master star 2

Feb 22, 2004
    It's really close...but I would say I am more excited now than I was for the PT...only because I truly believed that these movies would never be maid so the excitement is mixed with shock!

24. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    I was a tween/young teen who didn't understand the concept of a Prequel when TPM came out; I was very skeptical at first but got even more excited as time went on. The height of excitement was for ROTS. I speculated via journal and trolled the 'Net for countless hours and came close to throwing a tantrum when I thought I wouldn't be able to attend Opening Night. :p

This time it's hope that the dream I've had since I was small will come true...that we finally get to see Luke Skywalker as a full Jedi Master. That and that alone is what has me bouncing up and down. [face_dancing]

EDIT: I'm excited the same amount, but in a different way. We knew 'what' basically had to happen in the Prequels; we meet Anakin and find out how he turns to the Dark Side, and who Luke and Leia's mom was. We just didn't know the 'how'. This time we have no clue what's going to happen....

Rawne and Darth_Quintonis like this.
  25. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I was a teenager for the PT. I think since I have a son to share these with and I work at a movie theater its going to make the sequels pretty darn fun.

26. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    Sequel trilogy. I grew up with the original movies and I was always more interested in what happened to the characters I knew really well rather than the ones I didn't know at all but only had vague references to. I always wanted to see the Duel onscreen but everything else just seemed detached. So, yeah I am really excited about Episodes VII, VIII, IX. And that is based solely on the assumption that their stories happen, in unverse, post RotJ and follows up on those characters. If they don't then it's a wash.