main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Abuse Scandals in Sports

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth McClain, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Their finally going to take away Sandusky's pension. Finally. They should have done it when he was first convicted.​

2. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    Actually, I don't believe he does. I think that Sandusky truly believes he did nothing wrong, and that he really is the victim here. I don't think he believes that he ever did anything to hurt those kids -- that what he did was totally okay, that he was actually helping them. He strikes me as someone who's seriously deluded. Watch the Costas interview. He never really denied he was attracted to kids -- it was his lawyer who actually said it.

In fact, I think a lot of pedophiles don't believe they're doing anything wrong. Some of them think that their relationships are reciprocal, and I think that's what Sandusky believes.

Either way, he'll go on thinking he's a victim. Oh well. Let him -- he'll have plenty of time to do so. Let him rot. (In fact, didn't he actually get 30-60 years? It's only after thirty that he'll be eligible for parole. And I hope they say, screw you.)

Juliet316 likes this.
  3. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    So are we going to start a "Sandusky Deadpool" and bandy about predicting how long he's going to last in prison before getting shanked?

4. Guinastasia

Jun 9, 2002
    I heard he refused being in protective custody -- most child molestors are kept in a special unit. Dumbass. (Not that I care, I'm just sayin')

5. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    All of this in a nutshell.

6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Well, just so long as my obvious facetiousness was apparent. I agree with your nutshell.

7. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Or he thinks he's not responsible because in his mind "the other guy" took over and did it, like a split personality or something. "It's not my fault, it was The Zodiac." Which is the kind of thing you sometimes hear from people who have no concept of self-control.

8. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  9. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Well if he can't stop himself from harming others, that's all the more reason to have him locked up, isn't it?

Darth McClain and Juliet316 like this.
  10. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
  11. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Given that they got hit with more charges after Spanier got charged, it's probably delayed for a bit longer.

12. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  13. George Roper

George Roper Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Lethal injection of steroids?

14. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    In terms of the NCAA the Death Penalty is the complete cessation of a school's athletic program for at least one year. It's only been handed down once.

15. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    From a legal standpoint, the case probably has a lot of merit.

Going by what is right and wrong, moral and immoral, and those types of things - yes, Penn State earned the sanctions they got.

However, from a legal standpoint and what the NCAA Can/Cannot do ... I'm not sure.

16. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    The NCAA isnt a governmental organization. Therefore not subject to federal or state guidelines.

17. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    They are subject to laws though. And the lawsuit, perhaps correctly, alleges that the NCAA is in violation of Federal Antitrust laws. Which the NCAA has been found guilty of in the past.

18. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    I love how it's the governor who is spending time/money doing this.

The same one who as attorney general, ya know, failed to keep kids safe from Sandusky.

19. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    I interact with a lot of priests who've dealt far too much with abusive priests and other convicted sex offenders. I also interact with psychiatrists who deal in their treatment. I've also dated girls whose fathers (both biological and adoptive) were sexually abusive. It's something that I'm far too familiar with. That said, one of the nearly universal motifs is that the offenders have a very strong victim mentality - they blame it on anyone but themselves. I've known reformed pedophiles, and those who actually changed as a result of their punishment and correction did so because they blamed themselves for their actions, and not others. Someone like Sandusky is probably almost guaranteed to reoffend if he ever has the chance.

Guinastasia likes this.
  20. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Which given the sentence and his age, it's likely he'll never get that chance. Good.

21. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    The crimes in question were committed by a tiny handful of people at most, and the sexual crimes were committed by all of one person. Thus, the vast majority of the Penn State community, who had no complicity in the illegal acts whatsoever, "earned" nothing. It may be popular in certain circles to punish the innocent for the crimes of the guilty, but that doesn't make it right or moral to do so. It is the exact opposite.

22. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I've updated the title to reflect current discussion.

There was some speculation that part of Corbett's reasoning was to keep the money in the Commonwealth. I'm not sure if that's been substantiated, or not, though.

23. Guinastasia

Jun 9, 2002
    Corbett is an ass. As if he couldn't eff things up anymore in this state.

Bingo.

Juliet316 likes this.
  24. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    That's why the vast majority of the community didn't get any punishment. The institution called Penn State University did, because it was the organization that did something wrong. Where is the problem?

25. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    "The organization" comprises many more people than the five or so individuals who were at fault. To say that "the organization" did something wrong blames everyone else for the wrongdoing of a small handful of people.

Corporations are not people, my friend.