main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Disney buys Lucas Films - Star Wars 7 announced

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by KELIA, Oct 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    I'm not too attached to the part of EU where Jacen turns Sith.

I'll be seriously PO'ed if Han and Leia don't get married.

2. Jinn is MINE

Jinn is MINE Jedi Knight star 3

May 12, 2005
    Actually, there is tons of 'Pirates of the Caribbean' fanfic on the internet and Disney hasn't touched that. There is nothing more wholly owned by Disney than 'Pirates' and if they're giving that fanfic a pass, I don't see them going after SW fanfic.

3. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Yeah, I completely forgot about Pirates fanfic. We'll be safe. But I am wondering, if they do a reboot or a selective reboot, how confusing will that be for fanfics? And to a larger extent, how will DelRay act if there is one.

I'm just curious (because I was 2 or 3 when ep I was announced and 6 when it hit theaters), how much was known about the timeframe and characters for the PT before hand?

4. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    You know... I had a thought.

Exclusive Disney Store merchandise.

Could that lead to a plush bantha? Little Lost Bantha Cub? For that matter, exclusive Jaxxon figure? Plush Hoojibs? Suddenly... the deal doesn't seem so bad...

5. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    It was always going to be the "prequels."

Maybe I just write AUs too much, because this whole canon/non-canon/different timelines/reboot stuff doesn't really bother me at all. Just give me good stories. Yeah, I'll make a face if Mara isn't Luke's wife or if Han and Leia aren't married with kids. But I made the same face when Owen Lars didn't turn out to be Obi-Wan's brother, and when Boba Fett was a clone, and I survived. I'll always have my copies of the books that I love.

6. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    Listened to your great podcast, Nanci @};- I was at the same train of thought as Lane concerning the mayans LOL
    I like your point about the AU and fact is, that I'd accoot an respectful reboot and take it to my heart. But like you, I'd be seriously off balance if Mara wasn't in it, or not allowed to have Luke. Much about what my thoughts move around is respect at the mo. Respect for the time, money, love and tears shed inte the existing stories. Respect for the fans. Respect for the characters. We can all agree the EU hasn't been all too respectful to them. Still, just throwing it all overboard and telling the fans to forget it , would be a complete lack of respect. I personally think, that the best solution would be if the new story started ona completely fresh ground. And f they'd need to bring in Luke - well no problem - he isn't dead in the EU but at perfect, appropriate age for coming back Obi-Wan-like - he can just be sent off to some timeless place meanwhile and then return ;)

7. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. Just because they totally reboot the EU doesn't mean we can't write about what is now cannon just because it becomes AU. We'll just be writing AU. That's what the majority of us do anyway, right?

8. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I just can't imagine a movie storyline where Leia doesn't marry Han. If that happens I will be deeply disappointed. Or worse...the time frame is 40 years later and Mark Hamill, and Carrie Fisher come back, but Harrison won't...so Disney kills off his character. ACK! I will be setting out rat traps for a certain big earred mouse if that happens.

Meanwhile, the DeviantArt website has been flooded with Disney/Lucasfilm drawings. You have the Death Star with Mickey Mouse ears, Darth Goofy, and a King Arthur looking Luke pulling a lightsaber out of a stone. I will be glad when this flurry of Disney based drawings runs out of steam.

9. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    I just saw one of Vader with mouse ears. [face_hypnotized]

10. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    I saw this one in our Dutch newspaper today

[​IMG]

lazykbys_left and Jedi_Lover like this.
  11. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    And now I just saw a youtube video of Vader touring Disneyland.

Don't know if i'm allowed to post the link though.

12. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    I love the idea of another movie. I would like to see a sequel based after Return of the Jedi, but I'm kind of lost on what direction they would take with this. Vader and the Emperor will be dead, the two main villians/characters of the old saga. They were even in the prequels. I don't think I could like new actors in the main roles. For over thirty years they have been these characters for me. But then, again, I don't see how they could make a true sequel without Han, Leia, Luke...
    I had always hoped to see films made of the Thrawn trilogy. The books were so good and pretty much the only part of the EU that I liked. If they do stay true to the time line, 40 years later, I would have to think it would largely be focused on the kids of Han and Leia and Luke. I think I read on yahoo that GL is supposed to be a consultant on the new film, so hopefully it will still feel like a Star Wars film when it's all said and done. I'm hesitant to have any real interest in this until we learn where this is going.

13. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Now my Facebook is full of people posting Star Wars related stuff. I never thought I would ever get Star Wars overload.

14. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    If it's the one I think it is, that was for the reopening of Star Tours, anyway. Funny video, though.

15. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
    It has finally gotten through to me that the new film means new fans means more potential ficcers. Can't wait to see what fanfics the young'uns will come up with. :D

16. Luna_Nightshade

Luna_Nightshade Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2006
    That is certainly what I'm looking forward to most. Can't wait for some newbies and new AU story lines!

17. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    Some of these youngsters will most likely be clueless as to what is now the EU after RoTJ, and I agree it'll be interesting to see their takes.

18. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    We'll just have to teach the younguns.

And I just had a thought.

My niece and nephews will be able to see their first Star Wars movie in the theaters.

This warms my heart.

19. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I was over at Deviant Art and one diehard Star Wars art lover asked the artists there what they thought of the Disney buying Lucas Films. One artist said he was okay with it but he really hoped Boba Fett would be in the new movie (Fanboy!). The person who started the discussion said, "Pardon my naivety, but isn't he dead. He was eaten by the Sarlac." LOL! Boy that guy got an education from the Boba Fett fan.

I told the naive artist that there are probably a hundred novels written about Star Wars and a huge majority take place AFTER RotJ. This person only watched the movies and played the video games. He admitted he wasn't much of a reader and hadn't read any of the books. He wasn't aware of what was going on in the EU. I was completely dumbfounded. Even if you hate reading you think he would have figured out what was going on from other Star Wars artists.

I always thought the readers were in the majority when it came to Star Wars fans, but I might be wrong. All I know is in 1979 when Splinter of the Mind's Eye came out I was bugging my Dad to buy it for me right away. It is hard for me to visualize fans that are not interested in the books. But that's just me. I love reading.

I know I have been complaining about the Disney/Star Wars art, but I liked this one:

http://lordsantiago.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d5jsqov

20. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I'll be seeing my first Star Wars film in theaters, so I'm exited for that. I was 12 when rots came out and lived in the middle of no where at the time, and before then I wasn't really into Star Wars. If it comes out in May I may make a trip to a large US city for a midnight premeire.

21. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I feel I should start drawing some Star Wars/Disney art, but... no. Allow me to finish grieving, first.

22. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Oooooh, be careful with the Disney art. While the Big Bad Mouse might not be as protective of 'Pirates' or SW, they still bring out the lawyers if anyone intrudes on Uncle Walt's creations.

I think that any future movies will make up their own times, places, characters and ignore the EU. Did they negotiate book rights for any TV or movies when they wrote out the contracts for the EU books? My guess is that they did, so we may not know what they'll do for the movies until we hear about casting. I suppose it's possible that they'll re-cast Luke, Leia, Han, etc. if they're set not too long after ROTJ? They would have to do that if they did do any of the EU. But that would be a tall order.

BTW, I haven't heard anyone say anything about Indiana Jones, which Disney also now owns through their purchase of Lucasfilm. I'm sort of hoping they don't do anything with that.

23. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Back in the day, I wanted to work for Disney. For a long time, I wanted to work for Lucasfilm.

Now, I can reasonably want to work for both.

24. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    I think the funniest thing is that I accidentally predicted this. I'm a big Uncle Scrooge and Donald Duck fan, especially the comic books of Carl Barks and Don Rosa. For Christmas last year, my mother ordered a Huey, Dewey and Louie set of plush dolls to go with the Uncle Scrooge and Donald Duck ones that I already had. I thought that they'd be good decorations for my library. Where did I put them? The only place I had room: on the bookshelf where I have the majority of my Star Wars novels...

25. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    And look at AzureAngel2 art here on the boards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.