main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Nah, I thought it would have cheapened his story if he turned out to be Sion.

Still, Vindication is great, and the cover to issue 33 is my favorite from the entire series, not including War.

2. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    The only thing you can not like about Vindication is that sadly it is so good the following issues just could not reach its hights. [face_sigh]And of course that their are no Hutts in the KOTOR comics. :p

3. Inblackestnight

Inblackestnight Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 26, 2012
    This wasn't directed to me but two questions: Do you (or anybody) have any info on Scoundrels beyond what the cover may say? Also, I haven't read Shadows of Mindor but what little I do know about it seems to mirror other post-RotJ stories; returning/regrouping of Imperial forces with a new leader... If I'm way off base with that I apologize but what set that apart from others of the era? Thank you in advance.

4. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    For one thing, it's of intentionally questionable canonicity. It's frame story is Luke trying to get someone who doesn't think he's great to look at what happened on Mindor and write an exposé showing how awful he is and how he failed, but he gets a holodrama script with a flamboyantly-named Sith Lord instead.

5. Dynoblaze

Dynoblaze Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 16, 2010
    Where do you start in the EU? Nowhere, cause Disney's gonna retcon it all.

Random Comments likes this.
  6. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    What sets it apart? The fact that it's really, really good. Not that other stories aren't, but Mindor is... good good. Fantastically written, and manages to be both relentlessly fun and incredibly thoughtful at the same time. I'm of the opinion, as of now, that if you can only read one post-ROTJ book, it should be Mindor.

You're right, in that it is intentionally a return to the older style stories, but with a distinct modern feel.

RC-1991 likes this.
  7. Rysil1

Rysil1 Jedi Youngling

Oct 31, 2012
    Quick question: Who owns the rights to all the EU characters and things like that? Do the individual publishers? Or LucasArts?

8. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    If they do, then the republic is truly dead.
    And Kenobi, the EU-destroying Disney, and all erasers of canon .....will fall"

9. TetsuAero

TetsuAero Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 24, 2008
    So i've been reading the KoTOR comics, and i've finished vol.4.
    But now that i've researched some about vol.5 led me to the conclusion that there is none. So instead of buying Vindication vol.1 , is there a real vol.5 for KOTOR?

10. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Look up Vector Volume 1

11. TetsuAero

Jan 24, 2008
    I meant Vector vol.1, not Vindication. So does anyone have an answer for my question?

12. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    I think that'd be the place to go. If you don't want to buy it, you could
    A. Skip it
    B. find a nice store that has it and read it there :)
    C. Check your local library
    D. Ignore me because I haven't actually read those comics but am vaguely aware of there plot and how Vector worked.
    E. I've given up on finding an E.

13. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    No, not really. Vector Vol. 1 counts as the fifth KOTOR volume. Of course, you only need to read the KOTOR half for KOTOR, but the rest of Vector is enjoyabale too, meant as good jump in points for the four series involved. (except Rebellion, which got cancelled)

14. Cardinal77

Cardinal77 Jedi Youngling

Nov 3, 2012
    I don't believe that Disney will destroy the EU with the new movies. Lucasfilm spent a lot of time and effort protecting continuity even mak some possible story lines untouchable (wish I could remember what they were). I think that is where the plots of the new movies will come from. I believe that protecting the continuity of the EU would have been a part of any deal struck between Lucas and Disney.

15. TetsuAero

Jan 24, 2008
    So is it necessary to read vector to bridge some story gap?
    I'm not a fan of how the different series are entwined in the vector comic.

16. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Only the KOTOR part. And it has the added bonus of being the first part of Vector, so things flow a little easier reading KOTOR than, say, Dark Times.

But the KOTOR part of Vector has a few key plot points for the greater KOTOR series. So you could skip it, but I wouldn't suggest it, since it's just a fun story.

17. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    I've been away from the boards for a while. What are the most popular places to discuss Star Wars online these days...besides here of course :)

18. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
  19. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    I get that part.

I'm not big on Facebook or Twitter, but I see it mentioned a lot in some threads. Also, is the forum on the official site essentially a graveyard? Where do the "VIPs" post information and comments?

20. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    It's a graveyard, from what I've seen. Lots of people chat under the new clone wars episode on the site, but really not a lot else. This is the biggest place I can think of for Star Wars.

21. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    I see. Some years back the official forums were overtaking these in popularity.

22. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    There might be something I'm not aware or, but I don't think so official site wise. They revamped it a few times, and changed a lot. (Not counting the current "temporary" change to the video on the homepage)

23. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    The official forums were shut down permanently. They may come back, now that the saga has new life, but right now there's no word. The boards here are the most active SW boards out there.

24. Antlers

Antlers Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    Hello there! I've been a fan since childhood, but over the summer my dear beau got me reading The Thrawn Trilogy and so catapulted me back into the fandom. And here I am!
    In addition to the trilogy, I have also read the Thrawn Duology and I'm almost finished with Tales from the Empire.

So my question to you all... I really, really like Thrawn, Pellaeon, and the Imperials. Which books would you recommend I check out next?
    Also, are there any books that explore what daily life is like on a Star Destroyer? My imagination has been running wild on that aspect (and it usually involves significant amounts of body oil, late night cabin visits, power naps, and flirtatious glances over the bridge pits) so maybe it's time to see what the canon EU says... *cheeky grin*

Thank you in advance!

Random Comments likes this.
  25. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Welcome aboard! If you like Thrawn, I'd suggest reading Survivor's Quest and Outbound Flight. Both are by Zahn and have to do with Thrawn. Survivor's Quest takes place a few years after the Hand of Thrawn duology, while Outbound Flight takes place a few years after Episode I. They can be read in any order, but I'd suggest reading Survivor's Quest first, since the two books are connected, and Zahn wrote the chronologically later one first, just like the movies. Together they make a great story.

As for Star Destroyers, there's nothing really on the subject in terms of books. Allegiance and Choices of One, two more Zahn books, take place shortly after A New Hop and focus on the Empire for the most part.

I know, I recommended lots of Zahn stuff. But he's good, as you've probably come to realize by now.

EDIT: Also, on a personal note, this is post #1900 for me! I've entered the 20th century.[face_party]