main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Are the OT cast too old now?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by WhinyLuke, Oct 31, 2012.

1. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    I want new actors to play Luke and Han.

2. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Every last one of them CAN be recasted and they should be. Just pick up where ROTJ left off with new actors. It would be so great and perfect.

3. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    I disagree. Recasting at this point just seems pointless. Personally, I'd rather they write the Big 3 out than recast them, but that's just me.

4. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I think it depends on the time frame of the new trilogy. If events are to pick up right after Jedi, then clearly, we'll need a recast, and that's okay. My personal hope (and frankly, my expectation) is for a setting which is far enough into the future from Episode VI that the original actors portraying the big 3 will be just the right age for a story where they will 'pass on what they have learned' to a new generation of heroes. If this is the case, then I think there would be no excuse not to try to secure the original actors.

5. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    I agree. The big 3 are icons that should not be replicated. Write them out of it. Luke really is the only one who would fit a part in E:VII... and that's just to help link the story in the same universe and a final farewell to the most iconic character. Let fans say goodbye to Luke, while setting up a new cast for a new generation!

6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I am not in favor of recasting the Big 3. The Big 3 are Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher. No one else. I'll force too high of expectations on the Big 3 if they are recast and will be let down. I can tell. I'll give the new actors a chance but it would ruin the OT for me I think

7. Bashar

Bashar Jedi Youngling

Apr 19, 2011
    I think if you have Mark Hamill apear in just a cameo role it will be too pandering. If he's in it, he needs to have a real role. I don't want a wink and a nudge.

jainasky and appleseed like this.
  8. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    Agree completely. He needs to be in a Yoda/Obi-Wan type position.

jainasky and JainaSoloYJK like this.
  9. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    No they are not too old. If the idea is to transition to a new group of protagonists, then they are the perfect age.
    I'm not on the inside so this is just speculation on my part.
    First this Episode VII, the continuation of the first two trilogies, and the first part of the final trilogy, due to the age of Hamill, Fisher, and Ford it sets up perfectly.
    It is going to be an original story, not based on anything that has been previously established in the EU, which doesn't mean it can't use characters from the EU or allude to events in the EU.
    Only that it will be an all new story featuring characters we know and characters we have never seen before.
    The story will likely take place beyond 30 years after RotJ and I speculate more like 45-50 years after.
    I think this is highly possible based on the age of the wise old sages and the fact that in the EU, there is a completely blank slate at around 45 ABY(no novels/stories go beyond that time).
    Ben Skywalker is around 18 as of 45 ABY and Jaina Solo is 36, perfect ages to be the young protagonists under the wise old sages of the big 3. Perfect new heroes for TPTB to buld all new stories around.
    Also, TPTB don't have to establish a background story for these characters, they have a built in history, if viewers are curious as to the back stories for these new characters--go read the dozens of books which feature them and catch up on their histories or just go to Wookiepedia.
    Perfect coalescence of the age of the older heroes and newer heroes and blank canvass of story possibilities with already established character back stories.
    I'm just a fan with an imagination, what the hell do I know?

10. The Corellian

The Corellian Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 16, 2012
    Well, in my opinion, it all depends on what time-period the movie's going to be set in. If it picks up close to five or six years after VI, then we'd have a problem. If it's around the time of Crucible, then I don't have a problem with it.

I think it'd be interesting to see the movies focus on the next generation of heroes, such as Ben or Jaina, granted if it followed established canon.

11. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    It's probably been said--but recasting can work. Just look at the most recent Star Trek...or Ewan McGregor as one of the few bright spots of the PT...stepping into the shoes of an iconic role. Imagine if they never recast Batman after Adam West or James Bond after Sean Connery (though no one does it better than Connery.) Harrison Ford is the only one I'd miss--but if I want to see him, I can watch the originals.

12. Darth kRud

Darth kRud Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    Not too old. They need to be included but not as the protagonists. They should have a lot of time in VII in order to pass the buck to new characters. Han solo should be the first to die in 7 then Luke and Leia in 8. No Billy D Williams. Or maybe have Billy D sell them all out again to the new Sith? All of the old Jedi's AND Siths could have BRIEF dead ghost appearances. We at least need Luke in 7 for continuity and as the foundation for the new Jedi order.

13. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    He can have little screen time to maximum plot effect. He could die early on in the film to set up the major threat of the new conflict to come. I mean, come on, this new threat just took out the baddest Jedi the Galaxy has ever seen... you're going to take it seriously!

14. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    None of those situations are comparable. Batman was merely one adaptation of a character that had existed in several forms already. Connery wasn't even the first Bond, and they were adaptations of a book character. And Star Trek was a total reboot of the universe, an alternate universe. This isn't going to be a reboot of ANH. By all indications it's in some way a sequel to RotJ. Recasting main characters would be totally jarring and stupid. If you can't use the original cast, write them out. It's really easy.

Merlin_Ambrosius69 likes this.
  15. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    solojones, to me, those are distinctions without a difference. Beyond that--Ewan McGregor is spot on. If they can re-cast a young Obi-Wan, then of course they can re-cast an older Luke, Leia and Han. You might personally not want to see new actors in those roles--but it can be done.

16. Skelter

Skelter Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    I still stand by the reboot, I think it would be much better than watching the old Star Wars...Those movie are, and where awesome, but they are ancient history now.

17. Boom_Pow

Boom_Pow Jedi Youngling

Jul 2, 2009
    growing up I always dreamed about 7,8,9. Back then, I felt like it'd be cool to jump 10 years after Jedi. The actors would definitely be too old for that

18. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    I see nothing wrong with recasting the actors. After all, several different people played Anakin and several people played Obi-Wan. You can say that it was because the prequels were made second so none of the originals could really come back, but the same argument can be applied the other way around. If the Big 3 are older but not as old as their original actors, recast them.

Darth-Seldon likes this.
  19. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    With young Obi-Wan they had no choice but to recast him (still, the Emperor was played by the same actor). With the sequels, they can set them 30 years from ROTJ and use any of the existing cast.

Now, if 20 years from now they want to make some more adventures of young Luke, then sure, recasting will make sense. But not for the final (?) trilogy of the Skywalker saga.

20. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I cannot believe people are being serious about recasting. I really can't. The new trilogy will not be taking place just a few years after ROTJ. Just like the timeframe between the PT and the OT, it will be decades more than likely. In this case, it will probably be about three, like the thirty-two years that would have passed between ROTJ being released and Episode VII.

21. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Yes, but I don't think bring the old cast back (especially Carrie Fisher) is a good idea either, Mark could make a cameo appearance that's all.

22. Golden Jedi Knight

Golden Jedi Knight Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 2, 2012
    I saw Carrie Fisher at Celebration over the summer. She was hilarious when I watched her during the talk show they did with her. I don't care if she tried to paint your face with glitter, shoe polish, food dye, whatever . . . I have no doubt she could play an elderly Leia Organa with no problem. Whether she would want to take on that role or not is the big question.

23. Uncle Owen

Uncle Owen Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 1999
    As others have already stated, much will depend on the passage of time between the OT and EPVII. If the story is to pick up a few years afterwards, then recasting is a must. Rather sad to see but no way around the age of the cast.

If they do space it out, then they can bring 'em back, even if it is just for a cameo. I think having Luke play a significant role is a must to link the series. After that, anything goes.

24. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    I think there is a lot of emotional loyalty for some who are suggesting Mark and Carrie come back and resume their roles. Carrie has some hilarious standup and I'm told Mark does a lot of voice work--but let's be serious--neither is up for this.

25. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    And Harrison Ford already wanted to drop the role of Han Solo before RotJ.