main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Why all the EU Hatred?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by JediMJS, Nov 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediMJS

JediMJS Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    I know we're getting a completely original story. Still, ever since VII was announced people have been quite down on the EU as the source of any material for our new trilogy. Why is this? I have always enjoyed the EU, as keeping my fingers crossed that Mara Jade is in the film, and can't understand all the EU bashing....anyone care to enlighten me?

Iefan, Skywalker_T-65, Esg and 8 others like this.
  2. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i think a lot of people don't find the eu to be very good.

3. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I don't think every one has hatred for it but you gotta admit there is a lot of bad EU material out there. During the glory years of the books they pumped out a ton of crap. On that note give me Thrawn for the bad guy all the way

4. Lord Tuvitor

Lord Tuvitor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 27, 2003
    I read a couple of bad young Jedi novels during the wilderness years before the prequels and got the idea that when it came to EU, if it wasn't Zahn, it was crap. After Revenge of the Sith I discovered Knights of the Old Republic, the Darth Bane novels, and a lot of other good EU. I'm a lot more open to the EU now, and even like a good bit of the post ROTJ stuff.

TL;DR -> Those who hate EU were probably exposed to the wrong EU.

Iefan, Apophis_, Esg and 3 others like this.
  5. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I like parts of the EU, but I'm more annoyed by all the fanboys insisting (or assuming) that Episode VII be bogged down by the mountains of post-RotJ material-- much of which is, yes, bad.

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Boy, it really is the early 2000s come again.

Ulicus , Esg, KamSolusar and 10 others like this.
  7. YODA the all powerful

YODA the all powerful Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    The EU stories are good for books, but not strong enough to support a feature film, IMO.

Jedi_Lover, TaradosGon and Alexrd like this.
  8. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    They lost me after they killed Chewie...and kept introducing the Superweapon-of-the-week...overall the characters were/are excellent, but the stories weren't quite up to par, IMHO.

9. JediMJS

Oct 31, 2012
    Of course there is crap in the EU-- there is so much of it!!! And let's be real, sci-fi isn't the most prosaic genre-- the writing can be bad. But on the whole I think the EU has a lot of good ideas that can be utilized, though not copied.

10. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    I'll agree with that. There are tons of ideas there to draw a new story arc from. You don't have to go chapter by chapter but there are some possible themes to steal.

11. Lord Tuvitor

Lord Tuvitor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 27, 2003
    Yeah, it's as if someone's messing with the timeline. Isn't 2015 the year Marty McFly arrives from the past?

12. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I don't understand the disdain for the post-RotJ novels, even if I might disagree with some other forms of EU (such as clones of the Emporer, I vehemently disagree with that)--I'm not going to tear it down. As a reader of all of the post-RotJ Del Rey books, I think there is ample knowledge to draw from from for the backgrounds of our protagonists and the protagonists themselves. I would hope TPTB use Ben Skywalker and Jaina Solo, because they are the next generation of Skywalkers and their backgrounds are already written. It would be such a waste if they made totally new characters with no backgrounds and rejected the resource of the EU. This new trilogy is going to be an all new story, but that doesn't mean the wealth of the EU back stories should be ignored.

13. YODA the all powerful

YODA the all powerful Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    Doesn't really matter. We're all toast on 12/21/12 anyway.

14. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Okay, if we adhere to the EU Jaina Solo is someone with two brothers, both of whom ARE DEAD. Ben Skywalker has an EU character mother who is ALSO DEAD. See, this is what I'm talking about. EU fans not seeming to grasp the concept that these characters' long and complicated backstories would be a lot for a movie audience to take in.

15. JediMJS

Oct 31, 2012
    Why would we be picking up from the end of the story? That doesn't make any sense. If the EU was involved, the movie would most likely begin with Mara meeting Luke. Leia MIGHT be already pregnant. We're not jumping to 50+ ABY without any context.

16. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    In the next Star Wars novel they should pull a Dallas and have Luke Skywalker wake up and say it was all just a dream. Then they can do whatever they want. :p

17. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Hard sigh...I don't like the EU, but I love the 6 movies. I don't want to be force feed EU. If the production crew makes a bad play, ill make my Blu ray saga purchase & I'm tapping out. Maybe the EU is big for some people, but I just like the 6 movies.

18. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    So you want to recast Luke, Han, and Leia and do an adaptation of a trilogy of novels? Great, even better.

19. JediMJS

Oct 31, 2012
    Read my first post. I don't want to directly adapt anything. I just think the EU has over two decades of interesting stuff and some should be incorporated.

Esg likes this.
  20. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Forget it Darth Guy. It's Fanboy-town.

21. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Yeah, the EU has a lot of good ideas. I agree. I just think-- and I'm sure the filmmakers will also think this way-- that it's just a place to find inspiration and sprinkle a few homages (e.g., Coruscant's name). Anything that involves recasting the main OT characters probably won't happen-- and I am wary of just digging up a bunch of EU characters instead of making originals.

Lady_Skywalker87 likes this.
  22. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    1) The EU is generally not well written.
    2) Cleaving to it would hinder the possibilities for storytelling in the ST by introducing unnecesarry narrative complications.
    3) The EU is generally not well written.
    4) Trying to "preserve" it is wrongheaded because its not as if ignoring it somehow invalidates the experience of reading it.
    5) The EU is generally not well written.

Khan_Mace, SuperWatto, eht13 and 6 others like this.
  23. SionsBrother

SionsBrother Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 26, 2006
    I'll probably catch a lot flack of for this. At times, I find the EU to be more sophisticated than some of the films. Especially the Fate of the Jedi series, The Jedi Academy Trilogy and the KotOR games. I would prefer that they draw some inspiration from the EU, but I will not complain if it doesn't happen.

24. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    You also need to keep in mind that the majority of moviegoers have never picked up a Star Wars novel before. Don't you think it would be a bit silly to incorporate things that will require people to seek out the long timeline of novels, comics, etc, just to understand what is going on? It would be easier for Disney to do things their own way.

Of course, that doesn't mean they can't include anything from the EU. I'm sure there are ways to work in certain elements and still stay on track with the story that they want to tell.

And for the record - I, by no means, hate the EU. I have been an avid reader for several years. But at this juncture, I think it would be best to allow Disney to do their thing to ensure that we have the best story possible.

25. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Steph! :D

Great post. Agree with all of it. I definitely think Disney will do their own thing, but I also think it's nice they have the massive opportunity of the EU to occasionally cherry-pick stuff from. At least, I hope they only cherry-pick good stuff from it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.