main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation What can Lucas demand?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by WhinyLuke, Nov 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhinyLuke

WhinyLuke Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 22, 2012
    This has been on my mind and I am not sure if Lucas can do demand or put anything in writing when he sells to Disney. I mean, can Lucas demand that they NOT re-edit, or add/take away things from the other releases? Like add new FX or maybe even taken stuff Luke added in? Could be say NO release of the non-SE? I am no lawyer, I dont even have a job, so I am asking this as a total fool.

2. Norminator

Norminator Jedi Master star 2

Nov 2, 2009
    Not much, I hope. Would love to take a look at that contract and see if he has any demands regarding the existing films.
    Would also love a OT blu-ray release, obviously.
    That's the non-noooooooooo part, if anyone was wondering.

3. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    Well of course it all depends on how the sale was preformed. But for four-odd billion dollars, I assume he sold just about every bit of Star Wars he could control (aka all of it). If that is so, legally, he could DEMAND nothing. NOTHING AT ALL. he can advise. he can comment. butttt that's about it.

tom likes this.
  4. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    little known fact: lucas demanded jake lloyd into existence.

Saurion-Fett likes this.
  5. ShelbySpencer

ShelbySpencer Jedi Youngling

Oct 30, 2012
    I agree with Jacen. For 4 billion dollars he probably gave up just about all his rights to anything. I can't see why they would change the other six as it would seriously make fans PO'd and hurt their chances for the three new movies.

6. Bender666

Bender666 Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    Lipo for his neck?

7. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Disney likely bent over backwards to get a franchise like Star Wars. Short of giving GL a lifetime supply of hookers and blow (which, I guess, is possible too...) they'd probably have done anything for him. A company like Disney won't just fork over that much money to any idiot with a good idea unless they know for a fact that they can reliably bank on it now and well into the future.

8. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    He is getting 2 Billion in Disney Stock for godsake of course they will still listen to what he says.

Saurion-Fett likes this.
  9. Darth kRud

Darth kRud Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    He wanted Disney to take over because they would target the new films to kids and not adults. Theme parks, toys etc. He's pretty much not a fan of the old hard core fans and is hoping Disney sticks with his cheesy style that he incorporated in the last three films.No maturing process for Star Wars on the horizon. Hopefully at least we wont see awards ceremonies at the end of episode 7. I hope Lucas has NO SAY in any of the new films. Sounds kinda unappreciative but I dont appreciate spending money on disappointing films that had so much more potential.

KilroyMcFadden, Heero_Yuy and Othalan like this.
  10. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Really?

Money
    /LM

11. yodasbum

yodasbum Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 4, 2004
    A lot of people seem to have missed that George will own 2.5% of the entire Disney company. He will be one of the biggest single shareholders at Disney. I read last night that the Steve Jobs Foundation is the biggest with 7.5% but that is a Foundation not an individual. George is now effectively his own boss.

12. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    Will maybe Disney can go back and make Han shoot first

13. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I'm sure they're gonna leave the current editions alone. They may want to release the original, theatrical cuts in HD, though.

Star Wars has many faces
    /LM

14. WhiskeyGold

Nov 13, 2001
    I think if they know they can sell more copies they will do it but with Fox holding the ANH rights to release it, It will be hard for disney to do a good OT release in HD. Maybe FOX will release it before they lose the 5 movies

15. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I'm sure George will still have quite a bit of say in SW matters.

16. WhiskeyGold

Nov 13, 2001
    For now but not forever

17. Guybrush

Guybrush Jedi Master star 3

Oct 18, 2001
    Star Wars isn't his anymore, Lucasfilm isn't his anymore. Lucas can demand nothing. They can kick him out of the meetings and they don't have to use anything Lucas related in the Star Wars movies. Even is Lucas has a brilliant idea and feels it's his best idea ever, an idea that would propel him to get off his ass and make it happen....Disney could just say no thank you... but thanks for letting us have Star Wars, goodbye.
    It's that simple.

However, It sounds Like Lucas has made the treatments for Episode 7,8.9. He seems really happy about them. Disney seems really happy about them. Lucas is great at creating story concepts and I hope they do use his treatments. Hell if you read the treatments for the prequels they would sound awesome. Lucas is better at the roll of producer/concept guy of sorts. I'm sure kathleen kennedy will use his guidance on story/treatment/concept. He will be there if anyone has questions.
    But, once it goes to the writers and directors....he will have no control....zero...unless they ask for his help. That is it. It's up to Disney to ask for his help since Star Wars is theirs now, it's not a George Lucas property anymore.

Again they are using so far the Story Treatment of Lucas(that could change, again Disney can do what they want now)....he is very good at those. If you read ESB story treatment, the idea was always his. The exact movie is on the treatment. But Lucas needed a strong writer and strong director to see that vision out.
    I'm hoping the same thing happens here with Disney.

Here is a piece of the story treatment for ESB...

the Empire Strikes back.
    story treatment by George Lucas.
    11/28/77
    Open on the bleak white planet of Hoth. Luke is riding across the windswept ice slopes on a large snow lizard (taun taun) He reins* up on the shaggy two legged creature when he spots something on the horizon; a strange ice formation, or meatorite hit. Luke talks into his walkie-talkie which is on his helmet. He lifts his snow goggles as he says "Han, ol buddy everythings OK here, but I saw a glint on the next ridge, and I want to check it out." Over the com link we hear Han say "OK but don't take too long kid, nite storms comming up." Luke says a few kind words to his lizzard, sinks his spurrs in, and the beast leaps forward. He rides over the ridge when suddenly, out of nowhere, a giant snow creature jumps up in front of him, causing the lizzard to rear back and throw Luke to the icy ground. the monster grabs the taun taun by its neck, killing the poor lizzard, then bashes Luke in the face. Unconscious, covered with blood the young warrior from tatooine is dragged across the snow by the horrible snow monster.
    Han Solo rides his snow lizzard into a huge, beautiful but eerie ice cave and dismounts from his tauntaun. Its a big hanger for the rebel fleet, there is a lot of activity as troops and robots batter* down the space ships. Leia is in some kind of control area near the main hanger deck. Han walks passed workmen blasting corridor off the main hanger, and reinforcing things with metal gurters. He enters the control room and Leia asks where Luke is. Han tells her, that Luke wanted to look at an ice formation and would be delayed. He says " the whole planet is safe, and deserted, nothing out there, and the empire will never find us here." He's boasting about the whole thing. "now that things are set, I'm leaving." he Explains to the princess, which upsets her, and she becomes angry, icy as the cave. He says he must pay an old debt, or he will be hunted down.
    R-2 + 3P0 are in the control room in same area, they comment on the environment, on weather the empire will find them, and R-2 is slightly concerned that Luke isnT back yet. Han leaves the control room and Leia stormes off after him. the robots comment on Han leaving.
    the princess and the Pirate meet in one of the ice corridors outside the control room. Han Explains the reason he has to go, important. He has no choice. It's a mission that he must go off and complete at the end of the film. Han comes on to Leia, but she won't have much to do with it. She stays aloof of the whole situation and doesn't have time to fall in love. She rejects Han as a rogue, and puts him in his place, but she gets a sparkle in her eye, and is slightly attracted to Han.
    In the ice monsters lare*, Luke is in trouble. He regains consciousness and uses the Force for escape. He's fumbling with the use of the force. it's not very strong with him, (visualized through para psyapsyie* aspects.) the ice monster is always vague, and mysterious. Luke fingers a talsman around his neck, and talks about Ben to himself. He feels he must go to the planet described on Ben's talsman. Luke finally shows up at the base and explains the monsters, and danger. the rebels argue about thier safety, some think they may be able to control them, as they have the taun tauns. they have a discussion about the danger of the Empire finding them if they move again. In the process of this argument Luke is taken to a medical area. he has been beaten and battered quite a bit by now.
    In the recovery room Leia takes care of Luke. he is obviously in love with her, and he tries to Express this to her. Leia says she can't love him, job etc, but gives him a sentimental kiss. this tenderness is broken by the enterting of Han and the robots, also Chewie. Discussion about Han leaving and concern about the Empire, and the snow creature. Han and Leia exchange a few snappy one-liners; He putting her on, and she putting him down, Luke is generally confused by all of this. The robots make humoros comments about it all. Luke tells Leia he must also go on a personal mission.
    Han is starting to leave. Chewebacca is busy loading the Falcon when there is an attack of the snow creatures in the ice cave. there is a gun battle and the monsters are destroyed. three monsters attack Han. We still don't get a clear look at the creatures. Chewie fights one of them, sometimes he's a little afraid of mechanical things, but not afraid of these creatures An explosion and the power goes out.
    Vader - waiting at center of the Imperial stronghold. It is revealed he knows where the rebels are, and makes preperations to go after them....

View the rest here...
    http://secrethistoryofstarwars.com/empiretreatment.html

18. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    Lucas hasn't written the story treatments of 7-9, no matter what he says.

He talks about passing all the possible material he has to kennedy, but he's not talking about actual treatments.

19. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004

He did. The conference call with the Disney CEO confirms it. He described them as being detailed. Lucas and the rest have been working on this for probably a year or just less.

Guybrush likes this.
  20. Guybrush

Oct 18, 2001
    That is pure speculation on your part. Nothing to show otherwise. I'm just going by what has been said, that is all we can do at this point. If you have some information you have seen, please post. All we can do is go by what we see.
    1. We know Lucas had some story treatments according to Pollock...
    "While conducting research for his unauthorized biography of Lucas, "Skywalking: The Life And Films Of George Lucas," Pollock was allowed to read the outlines to the 12 stories written by the filmmaker, but, of course, was required to sign a confidentiality agreement.
    "It was originally a 12-part saga," Pollock revealed to TheWrap. "The three most exciting stories were 7, 8 and 9. They had propulsive action, really interesting new worlds, new characters. I remember thinking, 'I want to see these three movies.'"

2. According to Steve Sansweet, he went back and started working on those ideas...
    "But after the prequels, George was very clear that his days of making Star Wars movies were over. Little did I know that, behind the scenes and very quietly, George had started to come up with some storylines for at least three new movies set in a period sometime after Episode VI: Return of the Jedi. I think the fact that George found so much enjoyment coming up with new ideas for The Clone Wars series spurred him on. He just needed to find the right person – and the right set-up – to carry on the Star Wars legacy.

He found that person in Kathleen Kennedy – a longtime friend, superb producer, and prolific moviemaker – and brought her in as his successor."

3. Iger has confirmed they have a treatment for the films from Lucasfilm...
    "Disney plans to bring not just one but three new Star Wars films to the big screen, and the companies “have a pretty extensive treatment of the next three movies,” chairman and CEO Bob Iger said in a conference call announcing its deal to acquire Lucasfilm."

4. On the video on StarWars.com about the 1:30 mark of the video he says he has story treatments.
    http://www.starwars.com/

5."It's an original story," a LucasFilm source tells me.
    In other words, forget the Star Wars novels. Forget the graphic novels. Forget everything you think you know about what happens to Luke Skywalker. According to my sources, Episode 7will literally be nothing you've ever seen or read before from the Star Wars universe.

My opinion is of right now they are using the treatments to create the story of the new episodes. No way Disney has enough time to create a feature film with this much riding on it by 2015 without a treatment they like. Lucas has alway been a very solid concept/story guy. This is still his vision and I believe it is a solid story...Disney wouldn't have green lit it so fast if not.

Now Disney needs to hire a writer to craft the screenplay out of the treatment and a director to bring it to life. Kathleen Kennedy is a solid producer...she should have been on the Prequels from the start. George Lucas should have also done this with the prequels. Handed his story treatment and let talented writers and directors take over.

21. WhiskeyGold

Nov 13, 2001
    When we demand we mean in the legal papers not after the buy. He could but terms in

22. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Jorge is only a creative consultant. In Hollywood that means that Disney loves George very much, and they'll call him when they need him. He will no doubt have ideas and such Disney will use, but Kathleen Kennedy is in charge, and she answers to Disney. This isn't going to be a like with Marvel where Disney just let Marvel do it's thing, because it was already a critical and commercially successful franchise.

Disney will let LFL do their thing, but pay closer attention to the goings so. So if Jorge wants Jar Jar in E7, Disney can say NO.

In truth I doubt Georges treatments for the ST will survive much.

23. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Jar Jar is a Disney character if ever there was one. If anything Disney are more likely to insist he is shoe-horned into Episode VII rather than banished. ;)

24. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Realistically, No. I can see Jar Jar as a fun little cartoon character used for laughs in little Disney shorts or something. However I highly doubt Disney will risk pissing off people they need to make sure E7 makes the money.

25. Guybrush

Oct 18, 2001
    Unless it was part of the contract...Lucas sold to Disney his creation. If its true he wants to see his vision of 1-9 completed. Then it could be in the contract they base the new trilogy off of his ideas. Could of been a deal breaker if they didn't. I'm not sure.
    But again, Lucas has always been a great concept guy.
    The concept of Phantom menace was very good. Another writer/directors interpretation of those ideas could have yielded a great story. It was just the tone Lucas decided to go with was so off from the original trilogy. It played to the minds of a 5-9 year old. The original Star Wars played to a 5-25 year old.
    I think this new trilogy is in good hands and at the end of the day. I believe you will see Story buy: Lucas Written by: so and so, Directed by :so and so....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.