main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Do you want unknow or big name stars?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by WhiskeyGold, Nov 2, 2012.

1. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    Lucas did Star Wars with unknow (unknow the non-movie fan base, most of us knew Natalie, Ewan by name) stars. Star Wars doesn;t need a name to sell it. Lucas did like to bring at least one name at times. But even with ANH, he casted alec guinness cause the studio wanted one name they could use. I hate to think of Johnny Depp during around as a sith lord. I think unknow is the best way to keep going. Thoughts?

2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Majority unknown/lesser known with a small percentage of veteran actors. Liam Neeson added credibility to a mostly incredulous cast.

3. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    Follow the formula; unknowns for the principles, stars for the supporting roles.

Obi-John Kenobi likes this.
  4. STARBOB

STARBOB Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 11, 2002
    Unknows are good, but I did love Samuel L. Jackson as Mace Windu.

5. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    Yea I think it all depends on the actor and the role. Jackson was great.

6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Liam Neeson and Christopher Lee were the most inspired choices, I think. I liked Jackson, too.

Healer_Leona likes this.
  7. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I'd like to think there will be all sorts of actors ( as in good) who will want a chance to be part of SW and may get minor roles, or major if good enough. Otherwise, I like the idea of new SW making new stars.

8. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I want good actors who look the parts and can play them well. If that means casting only big-name actors, so be it. If that means casting only unknowns, so be it.

9. GargantuanThrillMachine

GargantuanThrillMachine Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 7, 2012
    if they choose big name actors i hope they possess better than feeble sword fighting skills. see also: sam jackson and ian mcdiarmid

10. BBQ Bill72

BBQ Bill72 Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    I wonder if Jonathan Taylor Thomas would come out of retirement to possibly play a young Jedi??

11. Norminator

Norminator Jedi Master star 2

Nov 2, 2009
    Both.
    but PLEASE inspire the veterans to do their best, for once.

12. GargantuanThrillMachine

GargantuanThrillMachine Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 7, 2012

well said, sir

Norminator likes this.
  13. The_Book_of_Sith

The_Book_of_Sith Jedi Master

Sep 5, 2012
    Mark Hamill.

..and some solid unknowns.

14. Darthsuggs

Darthsuggs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    Veterans like Alec G. and Liam Neeson are fine in supporting roles and maybe unknowns or little knowns as the other characters ala Jurassic Park.

15. Norminator

Norminator Jedi Master star 2

Nov 2, 2009
    Thank you, Sir. Although I shouldn't have said "for once", as Ian McDiarmid was fantastic, in my opinion.

16. Moggsy81

Moggsy81 Jedi Knight

Nov 2, 2012
    I just want good actors. People who I think are doing the business at the moment; Gabriel Byrne, Tim Roth, Sean Been, Christian Bale, Wes Bentley, Elijah Wood and how about Linda Hamilton for a female lead?

Darthsuggs likes this.
  17. Darthsuggs

Jul 28, 2003
    I'll just go ahead and throw it out there, Sean Bean!!!!

18. DarthNihilist

DarthNihilist Jedi Knight

Apr 4, 2006
    i'll throw a name out... Cliff Simon. he is the actor best known for playing Ba'al on stargate sg1. i think he would be perfect for a role as an imperial officer or even Thrawn himself. just because they are going with an original story line doesn't mean that they couldn't use established characters from the EU??

Lord_Dubi and JainaSoloYJK like this.
  19. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    Ooh! Yeah, Cliff Simon could work...he plays evil so very well.

Lord_Dubi likes this.
  20. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Why do you guys think that Sean Bean should star in it, as much as a good actor he is, his character always dies in every movie

I think they should use Johnny Depp, he is perfect for a villain role!

21. Darthsuggs

Jul 28, 2003
    Sean Bean is sort of like a Peter Cushing or Christopher Lee type of choice. He's like the Lee van Clief of fantasy films. Also Damien Lewis because Homend rocks.

22. Lord_Dubi

Lord_Dubi Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    A bit of both, un-named and well known stars will be good for roles. There are hundreds of less-known stars already actig in the Star Wars universe, mostly as voice actors for video games. Would be interesting for some of them to be cast on screen as well.

I agree DarthNihlist on Cliff Simon...Ba'al is one of the best villains in the Stargate series. And he is always cool to talk to at conventions. Had a chance to meet him at the San Diego and Long Beach Comic Cons. http://tinyurl.com/bgvf5al. Jewel Staite would also be good for a Star Wars role.

23. ObiWanandonly

ObiWanandonly Jedi Padawan

Sep 23, 2012
    Not counting any possible returning cast, there is a good chance that main character roles will go to actors new to the Star Wars franchise. So which would you rather see fill the main roles? My first instinct was unknowns, but maybe the new films would benefit from experienced actors who we know can perform? Liam Neeson was in TPM and at the time was a recent Oscar nominee, while Hamill, Ford, and Fisher were virtual unknowns when they starred in the movies.

24. Antlers

Antlers Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    Unknowns. Please!

Some great actors become almost too iconic for certain roles, and it can sometimes be difficult to disassociate a famous character with an actor. Some people will watch TPM and always see Oskar Schindler.
    I don't want Batman, Iron Man, and Professor Lupin cast in the next SW film. I much rather have fresh actors that do not already come with popcultural associations. Also, fresh actors might approach the films with more enthusiasm and seriousness than seasoned celebrities.
    I would also like to see actors and actresses that look a little more real. I don't want to see plastic-perfect-blended-Hollywood women, especially.

25. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Known actors aren't the issue. It's STARS that are the issue. No star should be in a STAR WARS movie. That means no Johnny Depp, no Brad Pitt, no Dustin Hoffman, no George Clooney, etc. You hire a star, and budget goes up. You hire a star, and nobody see's the character they just see the Star.

Casting an actor like Michael Fassbender who is known and popular, but not a star is the route to go with actors. Other than that, unknowns are good to.

LWSwann and lokus like this.