main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation What are the odds Disney will decide to just do a complete reboot?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by MrFantastic74, Nov 2, 2012.

1. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    But what I keep seeing is WE NEED cameos from Hamill and Fisher, but dont hear these same cameo request for Christensian and Portman...its real suspect. so I am just saying.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    My husband has a theory that Lucas chose Disney as a way to stick it to Murdoch--Lucas could have easily sold to Fox.

I shouldn't have been as surprised as I was about this since Lucas sold Pixar to Disney years ago. And I think your post is spot-on.

As far as a reboot--I certainly hope not. The Star Wars universe has a large time frame to play with; there is no need to interfere with what is already good.

Esg likes this.
  3. GeneralCeel

GeneralCeel Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 4, 2005
    *points up to a previous post to explain that Lucasfilm is making more Star Wars movies, not Disney.*

4. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Stop trying to force people to think like you. Let people think how they want.

5. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    We got a Hayden cameo. He was retconned into Ep. VI as Anakin's Force Ghost over Sebatian Shaw.

6. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    People are apparently idiots who don't bother to try understanding how this works.

7. GeneralCeel

Nov 4, 2005
    "My husband has a theory that Lucas chose Disney as a way to stick it to Murdoch--Lucas could have easily sold to Fox."

Why specifically would he desire to "stick it to Murdoch?"

As recently as the late 90's Lucas CHOSE to have Fox distribute the Prequel Trilogy... he was under no obligation to do this, and he willingly chose to film in their studio spaces. And other companies were begging and bidding for the chance...

As for why not selling to Fox, I'm not convinced that Fox has the level of infrastructure, and financing, to be the kind of asset that Disney is to Lucas’ plans…. And oh yes, rest assured that Lucas has plans. Lucas talks about retirement, but make no mistake, that “joining” (not selling out) up with Disney is a step forward (and up) for his companies, not a step back.

I’m willing to bet that in the next decade Star Wars is going to be bigger and stronger than its ever been. The budget for each film will be higher than they were for the prequels, and the advertising might considerably more substantial (not that Lucas doesn’t have to pay it all from his own pocket.). Releases will be far wider (over 4,000 theaters in the USA alone), including 3D and IMAX. And that’s just the movie side of things…

8. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    I hope they eventually decide on a reboot of the prequels.

9. aguywithabiggun

aguywithabiggun Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 1999
    As much I hate to fathom the prospect, it's almost certain that the series will have a reboot. Nowadays there seems to be little if any creativity or original ideas from Hollywood. Just rehash the same old garbage and sell tickets to the american idol generation of sheeple. Seems Hollywood is scared to take any chances. Call it the economy, greed or just plain lack of any desire whatsoever to bring new things to the table, the money is now on the safe bets. Not just the movie industry either. The music industry, the video game industry (just how many call of duty clones do we need here), man, its depressing sometimes. Sooner or later we will have a reboot. Some may like the idea, I prefer to let great human creations stand as they are.[face_beatup]

Don't need a crystal ball for this prediction!

10. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Not gonna happen at all.

11. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    The reason Lucas chose Disney is simple: he has a long-standing relationship with them going back decades. And they have the desire to expand Star Wars into the theme parks. It makes perfect sense.

12. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Disney has been very non-interventionist with Marvel & Pixar, no reason to suspect it will suddenly throw its weight around with Lucasfilm and start ordering them to do stuff. For the most part they will leave the company alone to do as it has been doing for years, Disney will just market the brand and probably move TCW to one of its own channels at some point.

Just because they might have decided how many films are going to be made doesn't mean they will have a big hand in how they are made

Sinrebirth likes this.
  13. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I'll say what I said elsewhere: Being as nobody can agree on what degree of a reboot we have, I say we have no reboots.

Some want only parts of the EU removed, some want the entire EU removed, and some want the PT removed, and some want the OT removed.

None of us will agree, so it strikes me as best that we have no reboots.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  14. DarthKreVass

DarthKreVass Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 27, 2008
    I hope they never reboot the original 6 movies, ever! I'm tired of reboots. Plus, in my opinion, George did a masterful job on all 6 movies, so much so that I don't think anyone can do better. Lets hope the franchise moves to the future, and not worry about what is already been done.

EDIT: Or maybe move to the past like the old, old republic

15. GeneralCeel

Nov 4, 2005
    I think you've spent too much time on comingsoon.net and deadline.com, and similar movie news/rumor sites my friend.

I think this claim itself is the result of a lack of original ideas. Sequels and Re-makes are a big part of any studio's strategy simply because they have a built in audience that, quite frankly, demands them. Look at the box office results. Why wouldn't you make sequels and do re-makes?

But sequels and re-makes are hardly the result of a lack of original ideas. Who writes movies? The same people have always written movies....... screenwriters. Studio executives don't write movies. Studio accountants don’t write moves.

Screenwriters write movies. They write original scripts. Sometimes those scripts get bought. Sometimes those scripts that get bought become movies. Other times screenwriters write new versions of old scripts because they’ve been hired to.

Original scripts are cheap (unless on occasion the script in question becomes part of a bidding war). A good buy really.

If studio heads are greedy then ultimately we the audience are the ones who decide what movies they make. If we support the original films and make them profitable… they’ll make more. Greed is pretty predictable.

16. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    I'd like to apologize for derailing the thread on page 2. I stand by my observations, but I was undiplomatic in my approach and I waded into an extended sidebar I did not intend. That is all.

17. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Chances of a reboot are nil. How would they even "reboot"? Its not a based on something with a maleable continuity like a comic book, so you'd end up either making something completely new, which would be alienating, or you'd remake ANH, which would seem like a rip off.

There's also no financial incentive to reboot.

Merlin_Ambrosius69 likes this.
  18. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    It could conceivably happen far in the future, well after the new sequel trilogy, when most of the principle actors and creators are dead and some new, currently unimaginable zeitgeist has seized the minds and hearts of the public. Until that happens, the originals will be considered untouchable classics by the vast majority of the movie-going public, and remakes/reboots will be unthinkable from a marketing perspective.

19. jainasky

jainasky Jedi Master star 1

Jun 7, 2010
    Any reboots won't happen for years. Long after Lucas is gone and most of the current fan base as well. Maybe 20-40 years from now would be my guess.

20. Adamina

Adamina Jedi Youngling

Oct 30, 2012
    I sincerely hope they don't reboot Episodes I-VI..[face_shame_on_you]

21. mutantchair

mutantchair Jedi Knight

Oct 31, 2012
    When we refer to a "reboot," there are a number of different types of reboots we conceivably could be talking about.
    1. Rebooting the entire franchise, original movies included, and starting over. (Not ever going to happen with Star Wars, I think, but total reboots have happened with other franchises before, recently with DC comics.)
    2. Canonical reboot - there are ways of coming up with canonical narrative excuses for re-imagining and rearranging the elements of a fictional universe, while still maintaining some sort of consistency with the rest of the universe. The new Star Trek film does that through time travel. The Knights of the Old Republic video game series did that by setting the games thousands of years before the bulk of the Expanded Universe. A new film series could "reboot" Star Wars (while still remaining direct sequels) by jumping thousands or millions of years forward into the universe's history.
    3. Rebooting the entire expanded universe such that only movies are canon. (This gives the most amount of freedom to whoever is writing/directing a sequel, and allows the Star Wars history and lore to be re-imagined in significant ways.)
    4. Rebooting certain eras of the expanded universe, such as everything post-RotJ. (This allows much of the Expanded Universe's history — particularly the Clone Wars — to stay in effect, while giving room to reinvent other eras.)
    5. Selectively revoking canon status of certain storylines/series, while assuming everything else is canon. (For instance, the first The Clone Wars series seems to no longer treated as canon by Lucasfilm. As Disney presumably wants to eventually do character-based spin-off movies, they might, for instance, create a Boba Fett spinoff movie and then declare that everything else ever written about Boba Fett is non-canon.)
    6. Multiple Parallel Canons - even 7, 8, and 9 establish a new continuity in which, say, Leia becomes a Sith Lord and kills Han, it's conceivable that we could still have novels that continue in the "old" EU universe of Leia, Han, Jacen and Jaina. Even though these canons directly contradict one another, they can still exist side-by-side.
    7. Abolish Canon - questions of canon become so confusing in comics sometimes, with so many different iterations of the character, and so many re-telling of origin stories, that series inside the universe must simply be considered self-contained and are free to be inconsistent with any other stories told in that universe.
    What I think is most likely is #3, a vast rebooting of large chunks of the EU, especially everything that takes place after RotJ.

22. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I'd argue DC's problem is actually that they didn't do a total reboot, but that's more of a Community discussion. I agree that this scenario is unlikely with regards to Star Wars, since, as DLB correctly pointed out, the films themselves are the main source of information, so there aren't really any ways to reboot per se. I could maybe see a remake in... decades, perhaps, but Star Wars is so iconic anymore that it'd be a very tough sell no matter how much time passes.

23. GeneralCeel

Nov 4, 2005
    There is seriously no reason at all that I can think why an existing Star Wars movie would need to be re-made. These movies never really look or feel dated. And the enduring popularity of the franchise, for one thing. If a Phantom Menace re-release can gross 100M world wide 12 years after its release... well you see my point. That movie only cost 115M to make in the first place. Plus, the Star Wars universe is set up in such a way where.... I don't think its like say, for example, a superhero film. Those tend to have a more narrow focus around one or a few main characters, almost as if in a vacuum. With Star Wars.. All you have to do is say the name and I think people associate it with a whole wide open universe where everything has a story of its own… and even the locations, ships and weapons, and the specific time periods, are almost like characters onto themselves. And the episodic structuring of the films lends itself perfectly to moving forward and backward without being tied indefinitely to specific characters. You can’t really have a Batman movie without Batman…. But a Star Wars film, usually with an ensemble cast, can shift from one character group to another, because each character’s story may only be one story within the context of others…

24. GeneralCeel

Nov 4, 2005
    And before I forget....... rather than a reboot.... how about if another trilogy of prequels were made and the Episode numbers of the entire franchise gets shifted. Star Wars was originally released without an episode number. VI was added after the fact, and seemed out of place with three episodes not yet made. The prequels lined things up again, while entire generations still think of the origianl trilogy being "the first three" Maybe some day The Phantom Menace becomes Episode IV, while A New Hope becomes VII, and we sit down to watch three movies that take place before TPM....

mutantchair likes this.
  25. mutantchair

mutantchair Jedi Knight

Oct 31, 2012
    Or, even better, a trilogy between the PT and OT.