main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Is Disney Capable of Learning the Lessons of John Carter and Phantom Menace?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Jabbadabbado, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Commander Ciege

Commander Ciege Jedi Padawan

Nov 1, 2012
    Yeah they come out with a Gungan, like Jar Jar as a child

WIERD_GREEN_MAN likes this.
  2. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    There was no Han Solo-type character in the PT, no-one had the sort of dialogue he had. The relationships they had were better too, you could buy into Han & Leia's relationship but not Anakin & Padme because it was stiffly acted and badly written.

The OT has long sections (especially in ESB) where there is little action, the PT had little of that and what it then did have got boring.

The PT isn't bad, I like it. But it's got nothing on the OT and the new films should be more like the originals were

Commander Ciege likes this.
  3. Ben H.

Ben H. Jedi Youngling

Oct 31, 2012
    I have given a name to my pain, and it is Jar Jar. Try not to overthink when creating new characters.

4. ThatWanFromStewjon

ThatWanFromStewjon Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 8, 2012

I was just wondering if you were a writer or in the movie business.

5. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    The acting in Star Wars is SO bad that people who only watch action-figure movies think the acting in TESB is good. It really isn't. Serious actors find it painful to watch. I only have anecdotal evidence for that, but guys, the acting in these movies was never meant to be good.

And there WAS a Han Solo in the prequels, with similar dialogue.

"I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to convince me that there's some all-powerful Force controlling everything. There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny."

"Oooh. Maxi big, da Force! Well that smells stinkowhiff!"

OK, a bit of an anti-Solo. But he's there. What, Anakin wasn't enough of a rogue for you?

ezekiel22x likes this.
  6. Vespasian

Vespasian Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    I think in way Obi-Wan in Episode II was the most like the Han Solo character: wisecracking (or more so than the other characters), adventurous, a little cynical and fun (when not around Anakin). For me he and Dooku were the saving grace of Attack of the Clones.

7. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    So your complaint is that Lucas did something original and did not create a Han Solo-type character with the same personality?

I don't agree that the Anakin/Padme romance was "stiffly acted and badly written". Anakin had emotional problems having spent his life as either a slave or under strict Jedi rules - he just didn't know how to behave or act. I'm not really explaining myself well here (not being a writer) but Christensen portrayed him nicely as a spoilt petulant brat. A young man who can interact with society doesn't become Vader.

I don't know what you mean by "The OT has long sections (especially in ESB) where there is little action, the PT had little of that and what it then did have got boring."

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  8. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012

I disagree that any of the acting is bad, but you are correct that the PT haters always claim it was superior in the OT.

Which it wasn't.

It has been said plenty of times that Lucas picked actors with personalities similar to his characters - so many of them didn't need to act.

Watch a few interviews with Liam Neeson and you'll see he is a lot like Qui-Gonn. Harrison Ford has the same snarky personality of Solo. Billy Dee Williams oozes charm.

Yet whenever I mention this to haters they seem to either not respond or change the subject.

9. JDN21

JDN21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2004
    Wow, I haven't been on this forum for about 7 years!

Anyway, the potential new trilogy has brought me back. Hopefully it isn't a mess like the PT was. I don't like the fact that many people on here have used the Avengers as a yardstick for the new films. I thought it was one of the most boring movie-going experiences I've ever had.

The ST needs to return to the roots of the OT. Epic storyline, properly planned out, not rushed and poorly executed like the PT. at least the new ones should have much better dialogue and human interaction seeing as Lucas won't be penning them. I'd just like the production team to take their inspiration for the tone of TESB and the Vader/Emperor/Luke scenes in ROTJ- serious and interesting and very comic book in feeling. TPM in particular set the target age far too low in my opinion - the whole film was an obvious marketing campaign for the new range of Star Wars toys available at the time.

10. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    Agreed - for example, Charlie Sheen didn't need to try for his role on Two and a Half Men because he IS Charlie Harper.
    I think that the OT roles may have been easier in themselves to portray - many fairly one-dimensional characters, straighforward throughout.

ThatWanFromStewjon likes this.
  11. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    Yes, Star Wars isn't meant to be Shakespeare (whatever that means - sometimes even Shakespeare wasn't Shakespeare) :)

Star Wars is about fantasy, adventure, metal bikinis, aliens, starships and hairy Wookies.

12. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    Yes. Star Wars is many things. Entertainment first.

13. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I didn't say there should have been an exact copy of Han Solo in the PT, but the wise-ass arrogant guy who is the foil for the selfless hero was lacking.
    Anakin fills the Luke role in the PT, Obi Wan fills his own position & Padme is in the Leia spot. Where was the Han?
    The closest thing we got in the PT was Qui Gon, he was rebellious but still a Jedi.

14. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    That's the thing, there was no room for a main character with Han Solo's personality. At different times, various supporting characters performed the "make fun of the Force" part: Jar-Jar, Watto, Dex, even Qui-Gon.

15. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    There is room if you make room, if Lucas was a creative-enough writer he could have filled the glaring Han Solo-sized gap with a good character.

Dex & Jar Jar were novelty characters put in to sell toys, and one was barely in the movies at all.

16. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I can't believe people are trying to defend the acting in the prequels *shakes head*

Oh well...

UseTheForceLady and yodasbum like this.
  17. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Exactly, it's a visual story (that's why kids love it - they don't care about the quality of scripts and acting). Even in ESB, it's adequate at best. On the other hand, even in the prequels, it's not really worse than most other blockbusters. As long as it doesn't descend into the "too painful" territory (parts of ROTJ and AOTC) , I'm ok with that.

18. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    They called it John Carter instead of John Carter of Mars because they were afraid girls wouldn't go see it.

19. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    That and because previous movies they had made with Mars in the title were flops. Irony is of course that John Carter was still a flop anyway :p

20. GargantuanThrillMachine

GargantuanThrillMachine Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 7, 2012

really? i thought that was one of the primary functions of characters like neo, john conner, johnny rico, luke skywalker, peter parker, bruce wayne, etc, etc, etc.

also: can't tell if trolling

21. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    The only thing Dex made fun of was the Temple archive droids.

22. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Yeah, and then fans wouldn't stop complaining about how this new character is so not cool compared to our good ol' Han. I wouldn't mind seeing some down-to-earth character (non-Jedi and non-Senator), but a clone of Han Solo is not a good idea.

23. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Nothing screams "buy my toy, kids" quite like a greasy proprietor of a 50s diner.

StampidHD280pro likes this.
  24. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Exactly. Dash Rendar was this, and it was boring and kind of insulting.

25. yodasbum

yodasbum Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 4, 2004
    In my opinion some examples of bad acting in the PT

Phantom
    Obi Wan- The negotiations were short
    Anakin- I was wondering what are...

Attack
    Obi Wan- hmm hmmm hmmm (elevator going to see Padme first time)
    Padme- If you follow your thoughts through to conclusion they will take to a place we can not go
    Padme- pulling away from the first kiss
    Padme/Anakin- sound of music scene

Sith
    Palpatine- I will name you Lord..... wobbles mouth a lot.... Vader
    Palpatine- lightsaber fight waving saber around like he's blind

In my opinion some examples of great acting in the PT

Phantom
    Obi Wan- ready to fight Darth Maul after the death of Qui Gon
    Qui Gon- credits will do fine (smile)

Attack
    Obi Wan- good job
    Dooku- Obi Wan integration scene