main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation What if Lucas is a Genius!?!?!

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by WhiskeyGold, Nov 2, 2012.

1. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    What if, somehow Lucas had this in his mind after all. What if Lucas put in little hints of the next movies in the PT and even in OT. Things we dont really pay attention right now but after the 3 new ones it all comes together. What do you think he can use in the PT to tie the in the new movies?
    (sorry if post a lot, laid off work and so bored)

2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Jake Lloyd.

Jake Lloyd will play old Luke.

3. Dranem

Dranem JCF Banner Contest Winner star 1 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 31, 2012
    Lucas IS a genius, but he had a hard time keeping things consistent between the OT and PT so I doubt he had that much fore thought.

MAYBE Captain Typho will play a pirate in the new one? Lose the other eye somehow? No clue.

Zikri likes this.
  4. WhiskeyGold

Nov 13, 2001
    Maybe he is a time traveler and losing the eye in the new ones the to escape the new sith he heads back in time

5. DarthBrian

DarthBrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    My thoughts exactly.

Zikri, TreborSabreon, Alexrd and 7 others like this.
  6. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    Did you just troll your own thread???

7. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    Aye!

Darth_Kiryan likes this.
  8. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    The man has great ideas, and I love him for that, but genius? If that were the case so many fans wouldn't consider the PT sucked so much.

9. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Most fans love the PT. We don't feel the need to shove our love down everybody's throats on the internet, though.

While it is possible that a few loose plot threads in the existing trilogies will be expanded upon in the ST - and I would certainly love it if it happened - it just remains to be seen.

Patience is a virtue - but it's hard to come by
    /LM

10. GeneralCeel

GeneralCeel Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 4, 2005
    If those many people were fans they wouldn't think the PT sucked. People have their insults all messed up. They bash the prequels, say that Lucas sucks, and then call him greedy... as if each release were just another attempt to take their money. If greed were the motivator would he not have just simply given these people exactly what they asked for? Would there not already be a new Star Wars film for every other year during the past 35?

The fact that Lucas made the movies he wanted to make and told the stories he wanted to tell shows his integrity as an artist.

Doing what people expect is easy. Simply copy yourself.

I have this hunch that the same people who blamed Lucas for their low opinion of the prequel trilogy (the ones who say 'Lucas ruined Star Wars' ) are going to soon turn around and cry that “The Sequel Trilogy isn’t really Star Wars because Lucas didn’t direct or produce.”

I hope the new movies are great, but should they fall short, I think that maybe a whole bunch of people will finally identity and appreciate Lucas subtle genius. He wraps his art in a low-brow shell, but below the surface everything is very intricately conceived.

Fettcrom, Zikri, kataja and 3 others like this.
  11. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    Genius does not necessarily imply being great at everything. Lucas clearly has some weak points, but what he does well he does on what many would fairly consider a genius level. Lucas is a great idea man, and honestly is even a pretty good storyteller. His weaknesses can tend to get in the way though. His biggest being his compulsion for personal perfection. Ask any diehard filmmaker who appreciates the history of film itself, and they will all openly admit that Lucas revolutionized film in many ways, and brought the media out of a bleak era. That takes a certain level of genius I think.

All that being said, the whole thing is pretty subjective.

12. WhiskeyGold

Nov 13, 2001
    I have found that a lot of "fans" are just bandwagon haters. They go see it, the buy the DVDs, the toys, see the re-releases, couldn't wait for the next prequel yet they bash it. Why? Cause it's what most of the others do. Its what the "too cool for the room" people do. To top it off they bash the prequels then say GI Joe and Transformers are great. ????¿????

Zikri and JainaSoloYJK like this.
  13. DarthKreVass

DarthKreVass Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 27, 2008
    He's not a genius. But a very very smart and creative man for sure. I'm just glad he created Star Wars. For me it's escape-ism in it's finest form. With all the themes that run through his movies, and excitement/swashbuckling adventures, the characters, and the back drop of scifi/mythology, it's (for me) the best thing that hits home for my imagination when I was a kid. I was a big Fantastic Four fan as a kid, and Star Wars seems a lot like that.

George Lucas and Stan Lee are my biggest heroes, in regards to giving me a way to escape into a world of fun and adventure.

14. GeneralCeel

Nov 4, 2005
    "Genius does not necessarily imply being great at everything. Lucas clearly has some weak points, but what he does well he does on what many would fairly consider a genius level."

I think it warrants saying that on the topic of being a genius, your genius cannot be measured by the acceptance and popularity of your work (Quite the opposite really). And that’s just the thing with most true genius, its rarely understood and appreciated by more than a few at the time of release (or even the artists lifetime in many times). And still more rare is for artistic genius to also be marketable on a mainstream level. Lucas pulled it off in the 70’s and 80’s. By the time he returned to star wars in the 90’s he’d grown as an artist and the intricacy of his story had grown too. Unfortunately a portion of the audience hadn’t matured with him…

Anakin Starkiller likes this.
  15. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Legacy Jedi Endordude Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 9, 2012
    Pointless Thread, Lucas is a Genius.

Darth_Kiryan and PoorGreedo like this.
  16. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    Lucas is a genius.
    A controversial and often disliked one, yes. But he is a genius. He invented Star Wars.

Alexrd and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  17. Hermi_Odle

Hermi_Odle Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 18, 2011
    I actually thought that this might be the greatest marketing/promotional tool ever created, and Lucas knew of it all along. After you come up with what is essentially the middle part of a story, with characters everyone falls in love with, the natural step is to either show what happened before or after. He's already done the "before" and theres something sneakily canny about the "after" movies coming out starting in 2015, a decade after Episode 3 and the end of the saga, or so we thought. These films, if everything is right, will be bigger than the prequels. Having Luke Leia and Han appear will be a MAJOR draw, if indeed thats how it goes down. If that doesnt happen, its a bit of a wasted opportunity, but I'll watch regardless.

18. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    Wasted opportunity?
    Not necessarily.

19. Hermi_Odle

Hermi_Odle Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 18, 2011
    In my opinion, I hasten to add! I'll enjoy the films regardless but getting the Big Three back, in some form, is probably on the wish list of almost every fan. A story without them could be interesting in a whole new light, for instance, a story featuring a focus on bounty hunters (like the proposed TV series) could be dark, new interesting territory for SW, but for me personally, watching the films in order, you'd kind of wonder where Luke Leia and Han were after ROTJ if they didn't feature in 7. Could be explained away in other ways, but thats a bit of a cop-out...

20. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Lucas is a talented technician with a good knack for the basics of story construciton, but not much aptitude for writing or directing actors. Definitely not a genius, unless the definition of "Genius" has been watered down in recent years.

21. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    I understand where you are coming from, but my personal opinion is different. The Big Three are not my favorite characters and I would rather see others in the new film. The absence of the Big Three will seem like a big loss to fans like you but fans like me may feel otherwise.

22. Norminator

Norminator Jedi Master star 2

Nov 2, 2009
    Or what if he's just making it up as he goes along? (Suddenly, Lindelof would make sense as the new writer)

He had a great idea once, and an excellent mind when it came to capitalizing on that idea.
    I would have agreed with you if it was still 1997 though.

23. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Licas is a genius storyteller and ideas man, he just isn't very good at realising those ideas on film hence why he best work was done when other people brought his vision to life for him.

KamSolusar and FinleySlade like this.
  24. GeneralCeel

Nov 4, 2005
    I disagree on many levels. First off, his story construction is anything but basic. Star Wars is many layered, and with each film more layers and connections we did not first see appear. Or even if you just look at a basic level... I recall many people being critical of the prequels because too much political / social complexity (Blockades, treaties, senates, big business)

A far as directing actors. Star Wars films feature a deliberately outwardly simple style of acting and dialog intended to reflect the old adventure matinee movies he grew up on. His stories are primarily told visually and through sound. When the actors do speak, the words are few, but each line always seems to accomplish multiple goals. Furthermore, what some mistake as “wooden” and “awkward” acting in the prequels seems deliberate to me. Anakin as an awkward teen delivers awkward immature lines. A young queen raised for a life of political service hides her emotions and stays very formal, almost as if out of a text book. Both instances are appropriate to the character.

25. TheMasterOfSoresu

TheMasterOfSoresu Jedi Master star 1

Jan 23, 2011
    Well. Lucas had more involvement in the Prequel Trilogy which are some of the worst movies created.

So I wouldn't call him a genius in any way shape or form.

fishtailsam likes this.