main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit SOS: Save Our Skywalker, Luke Skywalker (v3)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    ^lol disney making another star wars and seeing my boy Luke in the big screen again is much IMO ;)

can we start casting actors in a potential wishlist or is that outside the topic ?

2. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    also another question is now with the buyout does this mean that all Luke stories are retcon ? will Mara be in the new movies ? what does this mean for Luke's stories in the EU ? this might be the answer for some of were looking for when FOTJ left us in an unsatisfactory place.

Also to Kataja and Child, thank you for your thoughts and concerns. I got no damage to my household but we lost power for 4 days and just got it back now. There are still a lot of areas in NJ that still have no power. I'm happy to have power and heat now.

3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    That's the big mystery MS. The big concern is there will be one big reset, with the cynical calculation being that far more new fans will replace the loss of old fans. Will there be something smarter and so more unexpected in the works? Well, it'd certainly a surprise given how these things are seen corporately.

4. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    To think the during the days without power I was wrestling with the idea that Luke fans have nothing to look forward in the tv/movie medium. This changes everything.

my estimate with Disney, LFL, and EU is they'll keep what they like....ie anything that brings money. I bet Zahn's creations and contributions stay but I think NJO and Legacy might get the boot. At least some major parts of NJO. I really want to see Luke and Mara on the big screen. [face_hypnotized]

colojedi7 and ChildOfWinds like this.
  5. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    the odd thing is aside of the Zahn stories and Mindoir I think I might be ok with them retconning the EU for Luke

6. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Once they've retconned it, what's to stop it recurring time and again?

7. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    I'd bet huge money on Mara Jade not being in it. They won't make TTT and the casual fan will be like "WTH????" if Luke is with Mara Jade because:

1.) The casual fan thinks that the marriage rule still holds.
    2) The casual fan will want to know how Luke met Mara Jade.

8. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I must be a casual fan then, because apparently I don't have a clue what happened during the Clone Wars.

Zorrixor and MasterSkywalker86 like this.
  9. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    It's a big galaxy. Can you name everything that happened during the Galactic Civil War? I can't. Classic Star Wars still eludes me.

Zorrixor and MasterSkywalker86 like this.
  10. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    the opening box office of episode 7 ;) though in seriousness it's rumored Leland Chee was doing research in EU due to the ST....so perhaps the majority of EU stays but some parts become omitted. Zahn's contributions have a good chance at staying, since he was responsible for naming Coruscant and a few other things in the films. although im drawing a blank......

11. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    I was referring to TCW basically declaring that the Clone Wars EU only a fraction of the story of the Clone Wars, when it covered all three years.

12. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Yeah, so did Marvel comics. That doesn't mean we shouldn't have more comics or books in the era. Seriously, there's no reason not to continue making stories in the Clone Wars, 1-5 years after ROTJ, or the GCW era. They're just vehicles for the storytelling.

I think it'd be okay, Zetta1127 if you just admitted you don't LIKE the show.

13. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    This really isn't a good thread for such a discussion. All I am going to say is, "These aren't the stories I am looking for."

That's already a known fact.

14. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
  15. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Gah. I forgot how bad rumours were last time around!

16. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    I think Luke as a key character is the safe bet, same goes for the OT characters. The plot being an updated version of the drafts of episode 7-9 is debunked.

17. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Marmkid:
    I agree! So it will be good to have it pretty much be a Skywalker family saga again instead of an Anakin story... Besides which, I always hated the idea that Lucas was pretty much saying that the main hero of the saga was really a huge villain for most of it. I'm sorry, but Anakin was never much of a hero for me... I'm glad he saved Luke, but that doesn't really make up for 25 years of evil in my book.

Yes, that makes more sense. Or, as I said, he could call the whole thing the Skywalker family saga.

I think it would probably need to be longer if they use Mark Hamill. If they don't, they *could* start it at 20 years. I think I'd like it to be farther down the timeline, as I'd like to see a flourishing Jedi Order, and in 20 years, there probably wouldn't be all that many Jedi yet. I'd really love to see Jedi adventure stories.

If Luke has to die in one of the films, I'd like it to be peacefully of old age, surrounded by family and lots of Jedi. But it will be very sad, and like JediMara, I probably will bawl my eyes out. It will be even worse if Luke doesn't have any children to pass the torch on to so I can root for that Skywalker kid in the later films...

That's true. It could work.

It would be an improvement from what we got in the EU.... But I hope that we don't get TONS of Sith like we did with Legacy and with FotJ. One or two really powerful Sith, like the Emperor and Vader would be more *realistic* and preferable for me. I have always thought that having thousands of Sith was pretty ridiculous, because how does Luke and a small Jedi Order possibly get rid of them???

That's a great question! He and the droids would certainly be the easiest to add to new films because you wouldn't need to worry about aging really.

dewback_rancher:
    That *would* be the big drawback of having new films. I really always hoped that I would never see or read about Luke's death....

Jedi Ben:
    I can understand your position, JB. However, in the case of SW, I really do think that Lucas didn't plan to make the sequels, and fans wanted more SW stories. So the books were the way to go.I don't think Lucas ever did say that the books/comics were an official part of his story. I think he always thought of them as other peoples' takes on his characters and universe. So it's not like he lied to anyone. The authors always knew they were playing in his toybox. I think I even remember an author...maybe Zahn... once saying something like if Lucas wanted to, he could drive his truck over all of the toys, meaning that a Lucas story could obliterate the author's story, and he understood and accepted that.

There are certainly things in the EU that I would love to keep, mostly Zahn's stories and some of the stories from the early Bantam books, like TaB and CoPL and Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor. I want Luke to marry and have a family. I'd love to keep Mara and Ben and Han and Leia's three kids. (without any of them dying) Maybe we will get to have some of those things stay in the official SW story. But if not, they can still exist in an alternate timeline.

For once, I'm somewhat exited though about the future of SW. I don't want to get my hopes up too much, because I realize they could end up being like the prequels, and I really didn't like those films. But I'm cautiously optimistic that they might be wonderful. I just think it's exciting that we actually have a new SW film to look forward to and that we know absolutely nothing about what will happen in it, unlike in the prequels, where we knew what would ultimately happen, though not exactly how.

And, yes, I hope I get to see Luke Skywalker on the Big Screen again, even if only for a small role.

Well, I don't think the films will be rebooted... But I do hope that with Disney we can go back to a more positive, light-hearted, hopeful set of SW films, like the OT films were. I think it's time for the pendulum to swing back in the other direction.

Tim Battershell:

I'm not sure... I'll have to think about that for a while. But would they really do something like that if, as they seem to say, this film will be entirely new? Wouldn't they need to connect it then to FotJ? I don't think they would do that; nor would I want them to. If any of the EU gets over-written, I want it to be everything that happens post-SQ, so that would include FotJ.

JediMatteus:
    I don't think anyone knows at this point. But one of the comments was something about , "Forget what you think you know about Luke's future". That suggests that this will be a new story that won't make use of EU stories. So, in essence, I guess you could consider that a reboot, if it happens. But the other stories will still exist, so it may be like another timeline or an alternate universe. We just don't know right now.

More another time...

18. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    So I know that the regulars in this thread have very particular ideas of howLuke should be: any EU portrayals you're looking forward to having steamrolled by VII?

19. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    be interesting to see how much they change. still i expect a 20-40 year jump probably closer to 40 between the new trilogy and the OT.

20. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, for me Jack it'd be the post-NJO stuff up to before the Legacy comics!

COW,

I can understand your position, JB. However, in the case of SW, I really do think that Lucas didn't plan to make the sequels, and fans wanted more SW stories. So the books were the way to go.I don't think Lucas ever did say that the books/comics were an official part of his story. I think he always thought of them as other peoples' takes on his characters and universe. So it's not like he lied to anyone. The authors always knew they were playing in his toybox. I think I even remember an author...maybe Zahn... once saying something like if Lucas wanted to, he could drive his truck over all of the toys, meaning that a Lucas story could obliterate the author's story, and he understood and accepted that.

* But they weren't really sold on that basis, were they? If they were there wouldn't have the been the frequent eruptions over continuity over the last decade as it's become more and more frayed! At the same time, that notion that the SW books, comics etc were the continuation of the films drew far more people to them had they just been termed: Eh, it's a continuation but Lucas doesn't credit it. For myself, Lucas went from being supportive of the Eu to repeatedly slagging it once he started on the PT, but then this is a man who can't even be consistent with his own work.

There are certainly things in the EU that I would love to keep, mostly Zahn's stories and some of the stories from the early Bantam books, like TaB and CoPL and Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor. I want Luke to marry and have a family. I'd love to keep Mara and Ben and Han and Leia's three kids. (without any of them dying) Maybe we will get to have some of those things stay in the official SW story. But if not, they can still exist in an alternate timeline.

* That would be quite neat. I do like what Dawud's been arguing over in the main thread: No Lucas means no g-canon, which practically means no restrictions on the new continuity! This is good news because it means SW can depart from that utter rubbish of the 6 films being Anakin's story, they're clearly not - the first 3 yes, but the OT? No, no amount of retconning can make those into that for me.

For once, I'm somewhat exited though about the future of SW. I don't want to get my hopes up too much, because I realize they could end up being like the prequels, and I really didn't like those films. But I'm cautiously optimistic that they might be wonderful. I just think it's exciting that we actually have a new SW film to look forward to and that we know absolutely nothing about what will happen in it, unlike in the prequels, where we knew what would ultimately happen, though not exactly how.

* If done right, it could be excellent but to get me to see it in the cinema, at a likely cost of £15+, it'll have to be equal to Avengers at least!

And, yes, I hope I get to see Luke Skywalker on the Big Screen again, even if only for a small role.

* One of the cooler comments made in one of the other threads was: We could get to see Luke in a no holds barred full on lightsaber duel that isn't slow-mo! Would be very cool.

Well, I don't think the films will be rebooted... But I do hope that with Disney we can go back to a more positive, light-hearted, hopeful set of SW films, like the OT films were. I think it's time for the pendulum to swing back in the other direction.

Cynicism tends to be more easily injected than rejected but it'd be good to reverse things yes.

Dawud786 likes this.
  21. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    please erase NJO and Legacy eras :p

22. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Erasing NJO means losing TUF though.

23. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    that's the dilemnia....but considering TUF is the one book everybody can agree on was the crowning achievement of NJO I still can do without the other 18 books.

24. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    TUF is one of the greatest EU moments for Luke.

I think if there's any hope of saving the EU as part of any kind of official continuity we have to consider the scenario where nothing that has been produced to date is wiped out. Meaning, the entry point for Ep VII is right after Crucible and SOTJ. That of course, depends upon the unlikely scenario that the Mortis connections for Abeloth were a top down decree resulting into a whole storyline shoehorned into FOTJ at the last minute. So while that stuff might not sit well with many of us... what it doesn't do is set a precedent for wiping out decades of continuity for the sake of a new story. Which is good, even if that aspect of continuity is full of suspect characterization, plot devices and general slipshod planning.

If they decide to set it in the time frame immediately after NJO with TUF as the last big adventure for the Big 3, that sets a precedent for wiping out at least 15 years of continuity, potentially 110 years some of which is empty, some of which is filled in. Basically on the front end and back end of that time frame. If they do that, what's to stop them from taking everything before and tossing it out? More over, if they are willing to take out everything past 30 ABY there's a greater likelihood that they'd be willing to wipe out most of the stuff between 4 ABY and 30 ABY to set up the back story for Ep VII in the opening crawl.

25. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005

I think it's not unreasonable that they'll keep EU elements they like and disregard the rest if TCW is any indicator. For some of us this could be a good thing in regards to Luke. They announce that Star Wars will stay with Dark Horse but I wonder what does this mean for Del-Rey.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.