main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation What do your eyes want to see?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by ThatWanFromStewjon, Nov 1, 2012.

1. ThatWanFromStewjon

ThatWanFromStewjon Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 8, 2012
    A negative comment again. Dear Lord are we never going to be free of the bashing.

And, also, your off topic.

Not at all what this topic is about.

Go hate in another thread.

Too close to hating, my friend. Dial it back a notch please.

Corellia definitely.

If you need to touch on the story aspect to explain the thought that is fine. ;)

2. DarthDragon164

DarthDragon164 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    The Maw. It's been a part of the EU for what seems like my whole life (Which it practically has, since the book it was introduced in came out when I was less than a year old). It's something that I don't really distinguish as EU as much as a piece of SW as a whole. The next closest things like that would be Thrawn/Mara Jade/Talon Karrde.

Plus we could get a peak at Kessel.

3. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    Would the galaxy still be traumatized 30 - 40 years later?

I guess that it would if we think about the effects of WWI and WWII.

4. DarthKreVass

DarthKreVass Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 27, 2008
    More Hutts. More new types of Aliens. Rancors. More new types of Driods. More new Planets.

5. YODA the all powerful

YODA the all powerful Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    For me, only the following are required elements:
    Starships
    Hyperspace
    Droids
    Blasters
    Space Battles
    Land Battles
    Crazy aliens
    2 to 3 different planets per movie
    John Williams esque themes

If they cover those bases, I'll be happy. I prefer not to have too many preconceptions.

6. Vespasian

Vespasian Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    I guess it can depend on how they treat the demise of the Empire in Episode VII.

The Republic became the Empire (see the careers of Yularen or Tarkin himself), so it's possible that after the Emperor's death, the Rebel leaders could take over the leadership on Coruscant, revert the state back to a more stable Republic, and then they dealt with the Moffs and Governors.

Therefore many people in the New Republic may have been active participants in the dictatorship.

(Then again, I guess I think that way, because I'm from Hungary and it's a big deal here if somebody (or sy's parent) was part of the Communist internal security or participated generally in the dictatorship. A situation like this can be a real trauma for a country (or a Galaxy :D). The same is with post-WWII Germany, despite the fact that now they are leading the European Union, in many ways their kids still have to grow up in Hitler's shadow.)

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  7. admiral_Jim

admiral_Jim Jedi Master star 3

May 7, 2004
    not sure how my post was negative, just a perspective.....no bashing from me, I loved every minute of the PT but connected with the OT more and would like to see something that made me feel that connection again, like I said, I'm probably asking for the impossible but that's what I'm hoping for :)

8. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    I guess it can depend on how they treat the demise of the Empire in Episode VII.

The Republic became the Empire (see the careers of Yularen or Tarkin himself), so it's possible that after the Emperor's death, the Rebel leaders could take over the leadership on Coruscant, revert the state back to a more stable Republic, and then they dealt with the Moffs and Governors.

Therefore many people in the New Republic may have been active participants in the dictatorship.

(Then again, I guess I think that way, because I'm from Hungary and it's a big deal here if somebody (or sy's parent) was part of the Communist internal security or participated generally in the dictatorship. A situation like this can be a real trauma for a country (or a Galaxy :D). The same is with post-WWII Germany, despite the fact that now they are leading the European Union, in many ways their kids still have to grow up in Hitler's shadow.)[/quote]

Good point. The scars of World War II still survive to this day.

While Star Wars isn't like Trek with social commentary, a traumatized galaxy does make for a more interesting back drop.

Plus, there could be the Rebels that took over certain worlds or systems that refused to step down to elected governments.

Awesome idea. :)

9. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    Fair enough - I was a little harsh, my apologies. ;)

But you were way off topic.

10. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    More soldiers. Jedi, Sith and Mandos are warriors. I want to see more soliders (and not just numbers, like in AotC...real development). I want to see the "faceless masses" featured more.

11. admiral_Jim

admiral_Jim Jedi Master star 3

May 7, 2004
    apology accepted Captain Needa........yeah I was way off topic, I've been too excited, It's going to be a long 3 years!

12. TheMasterOfSoresu

TheMasterOfSoresu Jedi Master star 1

Jan 23, 2011
    The world was clearly not traumatised for 30 years by WWI because by that time we were at war again

13. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012

Germany was,, my friend. It didn't help.

14. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012

Aarrgh - cough - choke!!!

15. khuddle

khuddle Jedi Master star 1

Oct 17, 2008
    I definetly want to see force powers increased. Beyond force push, some light telekenetic powers, jedi mind trick, and lightning for the Sith.
    I wanna see a whole repetoire of Force powers being used by both sides, particularly in fight scenes. That's something that really cheesed me
    off about the Prequels, all you saw was lightsabres fights with little to no use of Force powers. Vader and Luke's original fight in ESB had more
    use of force powers than any fight in the Prequels. That has to change for E7.

16. GeneralCeel

GeneralCeel Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 4, 2005
    "While Star Wars isn't like Trek with social commentary, a traumatized galaxy does make for a more interesting back drop"

I disagree. The Prequels were full of social commentary. I think that’s the real reason some people disliked them.. That uneasy feeling you get from good art pushing your buttons as you recognize your own flaws and the flaws of your society on the screen. I thrive on that sort of thing… in music, movies and literature. But some people can’t stand to be challenged.

Anyhow, as I see it….. The Prequels were about the downfall (for society, not just Anakin). The Original Trilogy was about a small rebellion (freedom fighters, but terrorists in the eyes of the Empire) fighting for freedom.

I think a good sequel trilogy needs to be about “nation building” in the power vacuum. We’re seeing this all over in the middle-east right now. A dictator is overthrown. Does the society stay free or get usurped by radicalism?

People who didn’t like the prequels won’t want to hear it, but I think politics is an essential part of a sequel trilogy. Luckily though, violence will also be essential. This is an era for war-lords and zealots to thrive…. Can the good guys (Luke? Leia?) build a functioning government….. And a police force (JedI) so that democracy thrives again? Or will chaos reign in the power vacuum? Would some prefer a return to the orderly society provided by the Empire, choosing security in oppression over freedom in death?

Mystery_Roach likes this.
  17. TheMasterOfSoresu

Jan 23, 2011
    No, my friend. Germany's pride was crippled as was its wallet because of the Treaty Of Versailles. Though I'm definitely not blaming France, America or Britain.

18. TheMasterOfSoresu

Jan 23, 2011
    [face_rofl] Hilarious.

Yes, that's what was wrong with it. Not the fact that none of it made sense.

19. GeneralCeel

Nov 4, 2005
    Calculus doesn't make sense to me... so I guess its wrong. Right? I can't understand German so I couldn't be a real language, could it?

20. TheMasterOfSoresu

Jan 23, 2011
    The intended audience of The Prequels are children. If the majority of adults couldn't understand it, that itself is a flaw.

Anyway, the reason we adults could not understand it is because it does not make sense.

21. Jason Skywalker

Jason Skywalker Jedi Youngling

Sep 3, 2012
    What I want to see is Jacen and Jaina Solo during the Yuuzhan Vong War

ThatWanFromStewjon likes this.
  22. GeneralCeel

Nov 4, 2005

So George Lucas didn't have the right to make movies with an "intended audience" of children? And I would have thought for sure that adults could understand anything that a child could... And kids have a magical power of understanding things that don't make sense? And how do you explain all the very adult political situations and moral quandaries?

23. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    The OT main characters to make an appearance. Other than that, I don't really know. Visually, anything is possible.

24. TheMasterOfSoresu

Jan 23, 2011
    Clearly you misunderstood my post.

Of course Lucas has the right to make a movie with the 'intended audience' of children. My point was that if an adult - such as myself - can't understand what is going on, as many others also could not, how does he expect a child to?

Perhaps by explaining why are there is a blockade in the first place? Oh right, I forgot it was a... trade dispute. How revealing and intriguing! :rolleyes:

I shall entertain your... elusiveness with a list of things that did not make sense in TPM should you wish it?

25. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    Wyrwulvs.
    Not.