main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Essential Reader's Companion by Pablo Hidalgo.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Todd the Jedi , May 17, 2010.

1. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Grevious appeared in the Clone Wars in Star Wars Insider just a little after the Durge and Ventress debuted. He was mentioned as spear-heading Operation: Durge's Lance.

2. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    We first saw him on the cover of that one Boba Fett book (A New Threat), right? I remember that being a big deal at the time...

fistofan1 likes this.
  3. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    And so Amazon UK finally delivers my copy...

...shame they couldn't have done it at the beginning of this week back when I still might have given a kriff about any possible insights to be gleamed into the continuity (hah) of the EU.

4. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    I know, right! I'm going to hate going through this book knowing that nothing is safe anymore. :(

5. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    Edit: Sorry, double post

6. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Nothing is safe, they are already using this book to try to justify TCW and its Clone Wars reboot, which is why I refuse to buy this book and will continue to ignore terrible, terrible decisions like TCW.

7. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I just want to say, you were right all along! I knew TCW was a danger to my favourite tales such as Obsession and The Last Siege, The Final Truth but the extent to which LFL and now Disney has marginalised EU readers is something I couldn't seriously believe. Wiping potentially the entire post-RotJ Eu is nuts, and is the kind of stuff you've been preaching about for months. So Disney:
    **** you!
    [​IMG]

Sidenote: is the episode VII board already scaring anybody else?

8. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Meh. Pablo Hidalgo, the guy who wrote this darn book, doesn't seem too concerned about canon and continuity and Episode VII. In fact, he's downright excited. I think he's got the right idea. :)

It makes me wonder when exactly Pablo wrote that introduction about canon and continuity, though. Snerk.

Tinwe likes this.
  9. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    [​IMG]
    "My novels and comics are spent. My continuity has ended. Canon has deserted us. Pablo's betrayed me. Abandon your posts! Flee, flee for your lives!"

10. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
  11. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
    I take it that you've never read Labyrinth of Evil?

12. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Grievous isn't stupid in that. He fights Mace on the roof of a train, and that's awesome.

Super_Battle_Droid and Zeta1127 like this.
  13. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    He killed I think like half a dozen Jedi in that novel, it was brilliant. My personal favourite was when he killed Pablo-Jill and then he ejected his body into space, so the Coruscanti could see. Damn, he used to be cool. :(

Super_Battle_Droid, Zorrixor and Esg like this.
  14. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Yes, yes, yes.

As to the ERC and TCW, it's making the best of something that's already happened. You'd be more annoyed if it didn't deign to reference the most important/discussed/blighted part of Star Wars right now. It needed to comment in some way.

We already knew that Anakin's knighting had been moved way back, after all.

15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I noticed that it referenced a few of the comics- in particular Dark Empire, which it described as "where Luke turns to the Dark Side".

Given Chee's : "Luke didn't turn, he only nearly turned" comments- I do wonder if it's simply a simplified description of what happened, or if Chee's idea's been retconned.

16. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Chee's ways are a mystery to everybody.

Even himself. :p

17. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    This is perhaps the single biggest change that I'm admittedly somewhat prepared for in Episode 7, even if they do keep the rest of the EU.

Namely: if they decide to push back the foundation of the New Jedi Order, I won't be the slightest bit surprised to see Luke Skywalker running around with Ahsoka Mk II much earlier than when we saw the First Class in JAT. "[Name] Skywalker training a new Padawan" just seems the sort of thing that Lucas would want in a Star Wars film.

18. LordOblivion

LordOblivion Jedi Master star 1

Sep 15, 2006
    Has anyone else noticed an issue with the Readers Companion where at certain places, the text actually bleeds though the pages? I first noticed it on the illustration of Darsha fighting Maul. You can see text from the opposite page where their sabers cross. It also seems to occur a lot in the index.

19. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Don't think I noticed that. Have you tried checking another copy? Maybe you just got a badly-printed one.

20. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    My copy has one page with what appears to be a spot of water damage.

21. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Mine came with a malfunctioning canon.

22. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Canon no go boom? :p

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  23. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    I finally read this recently and I'll say one thing about it, after years of TCW, it was tough to picture her as a live action character, especially with that voice. I couldn't even remember the old tattoos for the most part.

24. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I guess I just liked her old look from Republic, with the 12 tattoos on her head. I've never been a fan of the "frown" tattoos, which also applies to Jerec. Plus, those old tattoos had special meaning, whereas I don't think her current ones mean anything.

25. Abalore

Abalore Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 19, 2001
    Can anyone who purchased the eBook version, have they corrected the mis-named captions on all the chapter intro portraits? In the eBook, at least at one point, every single name was wrong. Sometimes hilariously so.