main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Post novels after Crucible and SOTJ?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Allana_Rey, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    But CRUCIBLE and SOTJ were just announced...

2. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    But the Sith will always be born and reborn from the ranks of the Jedi!
    Although, if the Force were to be destroyed, there would be no more Jedi or Sith, but some opinionated duelists.

3. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    What's active work mean though? I mean, GL told Hamill and Fisher they are doing it last year. He's had a story in mind for a while, and I'd be willing to be he'd seed the fanbase by putting it into TCW so if it were something as crazy as Mortis it wouldn't just come out of the blue. As for Jennifer Heddle... if she's not allowed to lay all the cards on the table she's not going to give any concrete answers on Twitter. "I'm not sure" isn't necessarily anything but a means of putting the question aside for the time being.

I'm just entertaining a theory here, make it a little less doom and gloom. Honestly, the prospect of new movies is neat and all... but they are far from needed. The prospect of the EU being wiped away or relegated to alternate reality status sucks. I know GL has been making noise that sort for years, but now he's not in charge anymore. And I have my doubts that the Disney deal hasn't been in the works for years itself. Who knows?

Manisphere likes this.
  4. Guy-Gone_Weird

Guy-Gone_Weird Jedi Master star 2

Jul 28, 2003
    I am the only one who wants to see the Jedi Prince series completely redone by someone else, keeping the elements that are referenced by other works, but making it a much better story overall?

5. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    She didn't say "I'm not sure," though. She flat out said she didn't know and was looking forward to finding out - from her twitter -

She also engaged in speculation about the movie -

And in response to someone saying they'd like less pure speculation, she said -

I mean - I get what you're saying, it's a theory and I'm not trying to be all doom and gloom about the entire thing either, or to shoot down fun ideas.

It's possible that this is some sort of Lucas-driven return of Mortis, that he asked DR to include in their tie-in fiction at the last minute and DR had no idea why but went along with it because Lucas said it was important for the franchise.

I...tend to think that goes against Lucas' attitude towards the EU in the past, which falls much more in line with what Ms Heddle's speculating; he's fine with using the odd tid-bit that grabs his attention, but he rarely goes out of the way to engage with it - he sort of thinks of it as a useful but separate thing. I just can't really see him thinking, while writing a treatment, "Hey, I'd better call up Del Rey and tell them that whatever happens, they need to include Mortis somehow!" Because he just...doesn't really pay any attention to the EU. He kind of relies on other people to do that because it's not his Star Wars.

But, as I said, that is just speculation.

I do feel, though, that Heddle's relaxed, open speech here doesn't suggest she's hiding much. I'm sure she knows a lot more than us, but I also don't think that she's being avoidant here or skirting around what she can't say. Those don't strike me as the statements of someone who knows full-well that they've been publishing work designed to tie-in with the sequel trilogy, even if they don't know exactly how or to what extent.

6. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Lol. I should also point out that it's always from prior Sith that the Sith have been reborn.

7. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    That's partly true, and partly not. Some Jedi were lured away, some decided for themselves to start something.

8. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    It all depends on the movies. They could easily take place post SOTJ.

9. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    beccatoria

I fully agree there's zero chance Lucas literally rang up Del Rey to say "Psst. Big things happening. Mortis. Wink wink."

However... Lucas himself hasn't just woken up yesterday morning and gone "Think I'm going to retire". He's obviously been edging towards giving up and selling for some time, which would mean since he started work on TCW. With that in mind, I find it entirely possible his TCW season plans may have indirectly hinted at the long term story ideas floating in the back of his mind, which various people either at TCW or LFL may have picked up on and thought worth exploring in more detail.

Look at the Thrawn Trilogy: Zahn knew jack about the prequels, but he could tell Lucas had more in mind for the Clone Wars, and then BAM, we get films about the Clone Wars. Likewise, I won't be at all surprised to see whatever Lucas has in mind for the ST has influenced some of his TCW stories too.

10. LawgSkrak

LawgSkrak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 23, 1999
    I say thee NAY!!!!

Keep the original continuity going please. Don't need a reboot.

11. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    That's basically what I was trying to say. He didn't call up.Del Rey or LucasBooks and say "I'm doing the sequel trilogy and it's about Mortis." Someone other than GL has known about it though, and could have filtered down to the point where the editors and Denning were told "hey, connect Abeloth and the Celestials to Mortis. That's an important development for Star Wars from The Clone Wars."

12. LawgSkrak

Apr 23, 1999
    Yes. Yes you are.

instantdeath and Zorrixor like this.
  13. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    To be fair, I'd genuinely love to see Glove of Darth Vader remade in TCW style for the sheer hilarity of it. :p

Gorefiend likes this.
  14. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    To be honest, having a fourth Celestial type running around when we had three others as well just introduced and not connecting them would have been odd.

15. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    As long as it's not canon.

16. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    The Del Rey panel at Celebration said that it was Chee who suggested integrating the Mortis story, and that was because the original Abeloth story was similar - and the writers agreed. So there doesn't appear to have been some mandate that they had to include it, no.

17. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    It's mainly the fact that Abeloth is still a loose thread. The story she was involved in is done, but it was left dangling all "she's out there still.... we need to find the Dagger of Mortis to take her out... this is the on going mission of the Jedi." If she had been taken out and done for I wouldn't even be thinking along these lines.

18. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    She can be left as a loose end, I suppose. She could take millennia to return, for all we know.

19. darthjulian777

darthjulian777 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 28, 2008
    This may literally be the greatest post I have ever seen. Thank you for posting. I am definitely intrigued by every part of it. Especially the reboot, aha I need Anakin back.

20. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    But . . . where's Cole Fardreamer?

21. LawgSkrak

Apr 23, 1999
    Yeah bring back Cole! I liked him.

22. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    [face_laugh]

23. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    I feel as though the Sword of the Jedi series and Crucible are used to set up Ep 7. Sword is a jumping point for new readers into the EU to learn about the new female protagonist. While Crucible is the semi retirement novel. Now if Kemp's secret duology is a Ben as the primary protagonist much like his Crosscurrent and Riptide novels we will be set up well for leading into EP7. Expect to see a book that will act as the lead in to Episode 7, that will reintroduce important characters in the cast.

Prior to Episode 1: Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter & Cloak of Deception
    Prior to Episode 2: The Approaching Storm
    Prior to Episode 3: Labyrth of Evil

These books were closely set up to lead into the films. Cloak of Deception you get Chancelor Valorum, lead into blockade, Qui Gon and Obi Wan
    Approaching Storm: Obi and Anakin relationship, flared relations between sepratists and republic
    Labyrth: How Palpatine gets caught and who that Grevious guy is

Darth Myon likes this.
  24. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Nice theory, Kyris. (Is that a Corran Horn that I see before me?)

25. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    It is indeed. The second greatest Jedi Master of the NJO.
    I want Josh Holloway to play him in EP 7[​IMG]