main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FX LIGHTSABERS

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by Rotticus, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Rotticus

Rotticus Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 21, 2012
    For those of you into collecting lightsabers, which are your favorite???

DMC Edit: Moved from Comms to Collecting

2. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    I only have a Darth Vader Force FX one, but I really like Windu, Maul, Dooku and Asajj. I don't like Luke's lightsaber very much - don't like the hilt.

3. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    Also, I don't think communications is the right place for this. Try the collecting forum next time.

4. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I only have the Force FX construction kit, so I currently have a combo-saber sitting in my living room. Haven't gotten around to buying others because they are relatively pricey.

BDOT likes this.
  5. Rotticus

Oct 21, 2012
    yeah sorry im still new to this and didnt realize what i was doing!!!!

6. Rotticus

Oct 21, 2012
    DId they quit making FX sabers? I have vaders its not bad I like anakins from ROTS better....I agree about Luke's i feel the same way about obi wans

7. Rotticus

Oct 21, 2012
    Cant beat making your own! I only have Vader's at the moment, had anakins but i was way too abusive with it :p

8. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    I think they are still making FX sabers, and they are still for sale. It's just that in recent years, many have been choosing to buy off-brand and/or custom sabers to better work with their OC costumes (and because they are generally cheaper). For example, Dooku's saber is very distinctive. If I wanted to be a random dark Jedi, I would buy a generic and customizable saber instead of Dooku's, because I am a random person who should have a random saber, not Dooku's.
    I still like FX sabers, though.

9. Rotticus

Oct 21, 2012
    they have some pretty cool lightsabers on saberforge.com i was looking at the other night. Also some people can just make thier own custom lightsabers cheap with parts from a hardware store...at least the hilts that is

10. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    I think that's awesome. Personally, I don't know how to do that (...yet?) and am not a serious costumer (...yet?) so I am satisfied with my FX saber displayed on the shelf.

11. Rotticus

Oct 21, 2012
    Understandable! but if you ever need something cheap to add to your halloween costume ect. its a good thing to look into!

12. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    I know! Especially if I want to do a more obscure character!
    The basic lighsabers that actually have a "light bulb" often run aroun $60. I got my FX saber on sale for $65, and it was $99-120, so I'm good for now.

BDOT likes this.
  13. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    My construction kit was a gift from a friend, so I haven't actually bought any sabers. However, for a light bulb for a custom saber, it may be cheaper to get a $30 Hasbro saber and cannibalize parts from it.

14. Rotticus

Oct 21, 2012
    Lucky! I couldn't tell you how much money I've dumped into the hasbro sabers. I have one that was passed on to me from a relative he claims to have bought back in 78, whether or not, its an official "star wars" product im not actually sure but its a big white tube that you screw onto a flashlight. :p

15. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    :)
    Well, fans do a lot for fandom. You may have less money but you do have geek cred!

16. Rotticus

Oct 21, 2012
    Its funny because everyone tells me im the biggest geek if there ever was one...then I find myself but a small blimp compared to some folks on here! im getting schooled! :p

WIERD_GREEN_MAN likes this.
  17. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I'm tempted to take my saber's hilt apart so that I can switch the blade color to red, and then carry it when I wear my really-quick-last-minute costume. I didn't have time or money this year to build something really spectacular, so I bought a winged Grim Reaper costume, ditched the wings (well, stuffed them in my closet until I finish redressing them), and decided to dig out and further modify my Greedo mask (a Rubies mask, stinks like latex, and I restructured and braced the inside of the snout with a framework of cardboard, wire, and duct tape. The mouth is opened so that I have slightly better air flow in it and won't suffocate as quickly) and some old gloves I had made and go as Greedo going as the Grim Reaper. I'll add the lightsaber for no good reason other than to carry it around and look cool.

Looking cool is always a good reason to accessorize your costume with a lightsaber! :p

18. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    Yeah, I'd like just a hilt a lot of the time. Last year, my friends got mad at me because the entire time we walked anywhere, my saber blade impaled poked them.

19. Rotticus

Oct 21, 2012
    Very inventive! I need to be creative this halloween instead of forking out money to be lazy! I wanted to be spiderman but i am not paying 60 dollars for a costume!

20. ObiWanandonly

ObiWanandonly Jedi Padawan

Sep 23, 2012
    I only have the Hasbro Luke's ANH FX lightsaber with removable blade. I like the removable blade ones because it's a nicer display when you can remove the blade and just have the hilt on the stand. I think it's silly to display the full ones with white blade permanantly attached, it kind of ruins the nostalga of the lightsaber.

21. Rotticus

Oct 21, 2012
    Plus If you break the blade the whole thing is pretty much ruined!

22. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    That's a reason why I'm careful with my lightsaber; I don't want to break the blade. For any flourishing that I want to practice, I use my kendo sword. Though, I still have the unfortunate casualties of ceiling lights with that, as it's longer than my lightsaber.

I'm not very good at flourishing, so I don't really do it. In any duels, I tend to get in real close and practically grapple, and I find flourishing to be pointless, as it leaves one open to attack. I can always find an easy opening and go in for a cheap shot when the other person is spinning around and trying to look stylish. Utilitarian fighting style for me; it gets the job done, even if it's not much to look at.

23. Rotticus

Oct 21, 2012
    Ceiling lights? you could always practice outside!

24. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    It's getting too cold to practice outside. :( But, that's what gloves are for!

25. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    Wear tauntaun pelts

TrakNar likes this.