main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Derp, DERP. Derpitimus Maximus. Derpity deeeeeeerp...

Discussion in 'Community' started by VadersLaMent, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    I blame the lack of true statesmanship in the United States, coupled with willful academic laziness by our public schools (half-assed teaching of science and mathematics, wholesale slaughter of history, and downright abandonment of debate, philosophy and critical thinking), all made in the effort so that nobody will be "offended". PC Bullspit at its finest.

BookExogorth and Darth_Invidious like this.
  2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  3. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  4. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    There is a lot of factors contributing, not just "PC Bullspit at its finest." Way to oversimplify.

5. Aytee-Aytee

Jul 20, 2008
    You mean to say "There ARE a lot of factors..."

Since "a lot of" is being used with a plural noun, you must use the plural form of be.

You wouldn't say "There is factors", after all.

And yes, PC Bullspit. The problem with education is that teachers and school systems are more concerned about coddling students and promoting self esteem garbage than they are about actually educating them, combined with the parents who will not butt the hell out of the schools and let teachers do their jobs.

When teachers are made slaves to overindulging parents who think Little Johnny is perfect in every way, you can be assured that the graduating class will be chock-full of grade-A morons.

RC-1991 and Darth_Invidious like this.
  6. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Grammar, shammer...I don't care on a message board, thanks grammar cop.

It's not that I don't agree with SOME of your conclusions, but you are off base on solely blaming PC Bullspit as you call it. This whole trend of "my kid is perfect" predated PC Bullspit by a long shot - I was in high school in the 1970's when a lot of it was getting started. I could probably write an essay but will spare you.

In short, parents and society have done a lot to undercut education in the schools. It predates "self esteem garbage" and "PC Bullspit" - those "tools" just were added to the arsenal arrayed against education. Standardized testing, teaching to the lowest common denominator, overly large class size, "not my kid" parenting...one can name many factors. It's foolish to ignore all the multitude of factors.

7. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  8. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    "John McTernan believes he knows what’s responsible for Hurricane Sandy, and it’s not climate science. "

Terrible first sentence, I have to say. Climate science can describe the cause, but it itself could never be the cause.

9. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    As I said on Facebook, technically, if it wasn't for NOAA there wouldn't be a hurricane sandy to do this. Technically.

10. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Well if you believe some people, busting the earth like Alderaan is exactly what he plans to do on Dec. 21.

11. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    If I were God, I would use precise lightning strikes to eliminate people like McTernan. And I would do it in front of the biggest audience possible. Immediately following his evil comments.

12. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I think it's somewhat ironic the Hurricane has been labelled Frankenstorm, it was after all created by Global Warming which we are in part responsible for.

So some people are to blame, but it's not gay people.

Juliet316 likes this.
  13. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I have some words, but perhaps I'd best not use them. I've been familiar with Larson for . . . quite some time. My mother once filed a complaint at a Christian book store because it was selling one of his books, which had graphic sexual material in it. I think he's a huckster, quite frankly. He told Anderson Cooper that teenage girls make the best exorcists. That's not Biblical. Jesus wasn't a teenage girl. Teenage girls make the best exorcists for his ministry because teenage girls are photogenic. Didn't you love that pan up their bodies at the beginning of that clip? Kind of exploitative, no? His own daughter? Seriously? Oy vey.

14. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  15. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Not all that surprising - what's easier, owning up to your worst mistakes and accepting that it's possible for ordinary men to do terrible things in the name of their ideologies, or blaming Satan?

16. Aytee-Aytee

Jul 20, 2008
    I'm pretty sure "demonic possession" as stated by Montie is merely a fantastical take on actual mental illness.

I've actually heard of some schizophrenia patients who would actually believe themselves to be satan.

17. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Bleh. If society chooses to take the idea of demonic possession to such a literal degree then it's just a matter of time before we end up with a repeat of the Salem witch trials.

18. Aytee-Aytee

Jul 20, 2008
    Worse than that.....more and more of those damn Paranormal Activity movies.

19. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    From the same poll, Hispanics and African-Americans were about as likely to believe in demonic possession (66% and 65% respectively). And Democrats are 50% more likely to think that they've seen a ghost (31% to 22%). And of course, above all else, it's not like the Democrats are doing much better at 49% believing in demonic possession. That's the LOW group in this poll and it's still a plurality of that group.

This isn't partisan, this is just depressing.

Lord Vivec likes this.
  20. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    That's how I feel about it.:(

21. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Less believe in ghosts than demons? Interesting. Makes me want to look up AD&D frequency of encounter percentages.

22. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  23. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
  24. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Somebody already has his eye on 2016, I see.

25. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002