main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Former Columbia exec Peter Sealey is OUT OF TOUCH

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by FirstStarWars, Nov 2, 2012.

1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    No one cares about Avatar 3 years out, yet tons of people went to see the 3D release of TPM 13 years after it came out. And that's TPM.

WIERD_GREEN_MAN and JainaSoloYJK like this.
  2. Vespasian

Vespasian Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    It really is!:D That's how it was possible to resurrect it from stagnation in the early '90s.

Okay, the situation is a lot different now, but what I mean by "lurker" is that it is much easier to build enthusiasm in the general audience for a Star Wars movie than for an Avatar movie. I think.

3. mrdan5

mrdan5 Jedi Youngling

Nov 3, 2012
    In 2002 Spiderman received the same rating as Revenge Of The Sith, yet still managed to topple Attack of the Clones.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Exactly. As much as I liked Avatar, and I own the DVD, I don't have enough interest in the sequels to buy a theater ticket for them. I'll rent the Blu-Rays.

5. lokus

lokus Jedi Knight

Nov 7, 2004
    I think Avatar had an ok story line and I won't argue that the graphics were visually stunning. However, the movie itself, regardless of how many they make, doesn't have the following or responsiveness that I think Star Wars has. Sure I think there is a fan base, but I don't think it's anything close to Star Wars. I wouldn't expect it to be a talking point 20 years from now other than how great the graphics and cinematography were for its time.

WIERD_GREEN_MAN and Vespasian like this.
  6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I liked Avatar because I'm a Birkenstock-wearing Prius-driving middle-aged hippie and the themes around Pandora were appealing.

But as I said, I have little to no interest in the sequel.

7. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    And even if you were interested in the sequel, you probably are not interested in the Avatar expanded universe. I don't think there is one.

8. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    So we've spent three pages getting upset at the offhand comment of an executive who's not connected to the film. Great.

LawJedi and WIERD_GREEN_MAN like this.
  9. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    We're geeks. This is what we do.

10. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Did it really make that much money? Didn't seem like it did great business here, Titanic 3D was far more popular and made a heck of a lot of money.

11. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Well I'm a leather shoe wearing, monster truck driving, cigar and wine drinking ,middle-aged punk and I liked Avatar too.

:p

12. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    I don't even think the 3D SW movies were shown anywhere around where I live, maybe even none in 1/2 the state! Because if they did, I would have gone!

13. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    They said TPM did over 100 million worldwide

14. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    I beg to differ...this could be because I am also a comic book fan, but the Marvel characters have been around for 50 years now. Admiitedly, Thor and Iron Man didn't really get thrust into the spotlight until the past few years, but Captain America and Hulk were always pretty well known and loved

15. Padme501st

Padme501st Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2006
    Go to a store and there's always a whole section of SW toys and has been that way for many, many years, whether or not there was anything new in the SW universe. They sold and they still sell now (and I'm not just talking about the current Clone Wars line)

You don't see Avatar toys anywhere unless it's cause it's released. It hasn't reached that level and to compare the two is ridiculous. Box office sells doesn't equal longevity

lokus likes this.
  16. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    Agreed, in fact the current incarnation of Star Wars toys is from 1995-present has lasted for 17 years and counting! The original Kenner line, and this is from when Star Wars was supposedly at its most relevant point, only lasted 7 years. I remember the dark days from 1985-1995 well. There was basically nothing except for a few collectors items and some crappy bendem toys. The last avatar toy I saw was in the bargain bin

17. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    I suppose the key thing to note here is he is a FORMER Columbia exec for a reason hah

18. That Bad Huh

That Bad Huh Jedi Youngling

Nov 4, 2012
    He is what you might call, in layman's terms, "completely incorrect."

Star Wars has had an uninterrupted presence on toy store shelves, video game cabinets, poster reels, and t-shirt racks for the better part of the last 20 years. Its books, comics, DVDs and other media are solid sellers. They have conventions. There's never been a Star Wars movie made (with the exception of the abysmal Clone Wars feature, that nonetheless launched a very successful television series) that didn't kill it at the box office.

His "concerns" are unfounded.

19. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I liked Avatar, but on the level of Star Wars, Avatar is most definitely not. Episodes VII, VIII, and IX need to be done well so we can avoid these ridiculous comparisons, I have faith that they will be done well.

20. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    It sounds like Mr. Sealey has a axe to grind. Does anyone know whether Lucas approached any other studio besides Disney for the sale?