main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Back to the Star Wars!!! (Time Travel)

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Obi-Wan McCartney, Oct 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi-Wan McCartney

Obi-Wan McCartney Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 1999
    I for one would really love to see the element of Time Travel introduced into the Star Wars Universe. In some ways it might be just too darn confusing and hard to structure a narrative, but if Star Trek can do it so many times than I don't see why we couldn't have a little time travel in Star Wars.

Just the total fanboy in me, but I'd really love to see a middle aged Obi-Wan Kenobi in the mix. Would be cool to have our heroes (Luke + sidekick?) travel back to a Clone War era for some adventures, or perhaps have Obi-wan (during his years in between Episodes III and IV) travel to the future.

I know, it will never happen, but I just think a time travel story could really work in the Star Wars universe, however they do it.

2. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    There is time travel in the Star Wars universe - wormholes.

3. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    So basically take the JJ-Abrams Star Trek, but cut and paste Lukes head over Kirk?

No Thank you.

Spazmatron and WIERD_GREEN_MAN like this.
  4. Saurion-Fett

Saurion-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001
    wow...um....no....no thanks.........again....wow

Spazmatron and WIERD_GREEN_MAN like this.
  5. GeneralCeel

GeneralCeel Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 4, 2005
    There were some time-travel rumors floating around last year.... but I wasn't biting.

Anyhow. I don't believe Star Wars needs time-travel because thanks to Lucas having made Prequels a popular format, Star Wars movies are pretty much already free to be set at any time, before or after, the movies we already have. The EU itself further enforces this point, as there are constantly being stories released from a variety of eras, while still other stories get told in between the events of other tales.

6. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Just because Star Trek did it, doesn't mean Star Wars should.

WIERD_GREEN_MAN likes this.
  7. SamiS

SamiS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 2001
    Timetravel has been overdone in scifi, so no thank you

8. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    ^
    And it's messy.
    Star Wars already has flowalking.

9. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    I've heard rumours that Time Travel was one of the options they were considering when sending briefs out to writers. Other options included Luke training up the next generation and a clone of the Emperor returning 200 years post Jedi. How much truth there is to these rumours or how far they got along those directions, I don't know, but the guy I heard them from has been legit in the past.

10. GeneralCeel

Nov 4, 2005
    The real reason, aside from being corny, that time travel won't work in Star Wars is that Star Wars...... is not Science Fiction. Its Fantasy.

11. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    A cross between the two...a nice balance. It's not strict sci-fi, but it's not overly fantasy either, because tech and fantastical elements are blended. John Carter is not blended so well, because the fantastical elements completely overshadow the tech parts - the tech could be completely removed (or explained otherwise) and you'd still have John Carter. The same treatment cannot be applied to Star Wars.

SamiS likes this.
  12. George Roper

George Roper Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Han, Luke, and Leia would take over a new Death Star and go through a wormhole and destroy Tarkin's home planet. Tarkin still being alive in the alternate universe. RBT > all else.

I guess they could flip a coin to decide if they destroy Palpatine's home planet.

13. GeneralCeel

Nov 4, 2005
    People see futuristic machines and assume "Science Fiction," but that is not at all what defines Science Fiction. Were Star Wars Science Fiction, technology would be essential to the story. The conflict in the story would be linked to the consequences of the technology's existence. If a lightsaber was just a sword or a ship were instead a car it would not fundamentally change the fabric of Star Wars. Just the setting. The technology in Star Wars is surface level.

Star Wars is fantasy through and through. Religion, faith, magic, inheritance, honor… democracy and despotism….. Destiny tied to a mystical energy source that simply “is.” Its fantasy…

14. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I agree. Flowwalking, aside, Star Trek-style time travel doesn't fit with the internal logic of how the Star Wars Universe functions.

15. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Multiverse story where Willow is sent on a quest to find the old Jedi wizard Luke (or Leia) Skywalker. I would seriously rather watch that than the film we'll likely get, with a Han Solo stand-in who delivers frequent Whedon-style jokey lines.

16. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Again, not consisted with the internal logic of the universe, as there is no mention, either on film, or in print of belief in the concept of the multiverse.

17. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    So remake the internal logic. Better that than bowing down to "canon" and "continuity" as far as I'm concerned.

18. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    As much as I like the idea of time-travel being introduced into Star Wars, I wouldn't want it to involve the OT characters going back in time to the Clone Wars for whatever reason, mainly because there's no point to it.

19. GeneralCeel

Nov 4, 2005
    Unless "time travel" is a force power I don't see it fitting into the fantasy setting of Star Wars.... and even then we're pushing it. Being able to change the past is a contradiction in a story that is all about destiny and actions having consequences you have to live with.

20. the_sinister_hologram

the_sinister_hologram Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 3, 2012
    Good time travel plots are very hard to pull off. They usually don't make a lot of sense and create this sensation of "why is no one using it more often to solve problems?"

Another problem with making time travel is that unfortunately it can be used as a "reset" button for the story. So no, I wouldn't like that one bit.

21. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    They should go back in time and not make the prequels.

GeneralCeel, Lord_Tuvitor and tom like this.
  22. FORCEFED

FORCEFED Jedi Master star 5

Nov 27, 2002
    I would be in if Griff made an appearance.

23. GeneralCeel

Nov 4, 2005
    I'd go back in time, gather up the prequel bashers as children and move them to 1999 to experience Star Wars as it was intended... for the young and young at heart.

EviL_eLF likes this.
  24. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Keep Time travel away from Star Wars! NO THANK YOU! Doesn't belong!

25. Spazmatron

Spazmatron Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 19, 2012
    How could you even think of time travel in Star Wars! :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.