main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V Clone Wars Continuity Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sabarte, May 12, 2008.

1. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    so long it does not fire rainbows of death at peaceful hippieworlds :p

2. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    I don't think the TCW writers are the ones saying that.

3. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    Remember that Palpatine had emergency powers and the senate was basically loosing most of its rights already early in the Clone Wars for the time of the emergency being. Mostly it voted on funding issue, refugee relief aid and such stuff.
    so no hurt if Separatists are in the senate or not. so long they are just senators/representatives and do not participate in the vote. Same way Padmé was allowed to meet and speak with the Separatist senate!

They are all under suspicion of treason anyway, even some loyalists were. due to these chaotic beginning of the Clone Wars, emergency powers gave most power to the chancellor and his aids. there is no sane sorting out who is loyal and who is not until later in the war anway with sectors split in half, worlds even and thus loyalities divided. Imagine some poor senators whose worlds/sectors are divided with half wanting to join the Separatists, others to stay loyal, the monarch has its own ideas too and until they appoint two senators for separatist and republic senate there is chaos.

but what better to have the enemy walk around in your own senate.. under surveillance and so you might get intel rather than drive them away... or feed them false intel.

4. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    [face_laugh]
    Amusingly enough, this episode introduced a lot of new Weequay models and really diversified the species.

Also, the bad pirates had bandana masks and the good ones didn't.

Yeah, that's probably for the best.

5. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I know the TCW writers aren't the ones saying that, I was referring to LFL's continued insistence that Star Wars is one story, despite the Clone Wars reboot. I still don't have a clue why TCW in its present form even exists in the first place.

6. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Either the weapons have a switch on them or blaster shot colors in TCW are non-canon.

7. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    After watching the new episode (which was awesome btw), I think we can easily pass this off as one method Jedi use for obtaining crystals. And for all we know, it might just be the younger ones.

Summer Dreamer and Gorefiend like this.
  8. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    Is there a summary some where of the major and minor continuity problems that have arisen with TCW? Reading through 421 pages of this thread seems too daunting.

I've been away from the boards for a while. Nothing like Episode VII and Disney news to get you amped up. :) I've been keeping up my EU reading and TCW watching, but not been posting here in years.

I noticed the obvious issues regarding the Mandalorians and Nightsisters. I'm not sure if the Darth Maul thing is just annoying or an actual continuity problem.

9. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    Plus it was implied that these were advanced students. Maybe "The Gathering" is a trial that is reserved only for Padawans at the top of their class.

10. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    All you really need to worry about? Ryloth, Mandalore, Even Piell. Just read their wook pages and you'll be caught up.

Like you said, Maul isn't as much a continuity problem as it is just kind of iffy as a story idea. The nightsisters have actually survived more or less intact, at least IMO.

11. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    And Adi Gallia, of course.

12. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Who? :p

Still haven't accepted that one.

13. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    And I didn't even spot the Ryloth problem (showing same place on day and night) before I read about it here. It's pretty blink-and-you-miss, and no EU source has gone to the planet after those episodes (probably because they don't want to retcon it to any direction)

Zorrixor likes this.
  14. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    What kills me is, all they have to do is say "oh, there was an eclipse", and problem solved. But Lucas wants it to rotate, so it rotates. [face_frustrated]

Zeta1127 likes this.
  15. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    To go back to an earlier discussion: yeah, Ryloth seems like the biggest change for the least reason out of all the show's retcons. The planet being tidally locked (Which I should clarify means that it still rotates, just at the same speed it orbits the sun) is a huge part of Twilek culture, and vital to pretty much story set on the planet.

All for two blink and you miss it scenes. Particularly baffling since TCW is usually pretty bad at having meaningful day/night cycles on any other planet. Just look at the recent Onderon arc and how much seemed to happen over one day.

The only explanation I can think of is that Lucas thought the idea of a tidally locked planet was too silly even for Star Wars, not knowing that our own moon is tidally locked.

Zorrixor likes this.
  16. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    The reason it's brought up is mainly for two reasons: (a) to show that changes to the EU are made for arbitrary reasons on the show and (b) that any changes made on the show automatically override anything else. If any other source had done it, it would've been ignored as a mistake in the wealth of other sources that already established the properties of Ryloth. There's no "case-by-case" basis involved.

17. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    The upshot could be that without Lucas in charge anymore LFL could say "hey, you know what? Ryloth is tidally locked and there was an eclipse."

18. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Yep. I'm wondering how future seasons will be without Lucas....

19. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    That was a really good episode. I think the crystal method makes sense. Kind of melds the Ilum episodes of CW micro-series with the Dantooine caves in KOTORII where you got your personalized, attuned to your character, crystal that rendered your lightsaber unusable for any other Jedi companion.

Also, Wookiee youngling... and after GL put the kybosh on Wookiee Jedi a couple years ago. Guess we can expect to see Lowie back in full force now?

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  20. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    They were on the nightside. Problem solved and we don't need a contrived eclipse.

21. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    He'll likely stay as creative consultant for the show.

22. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    So uh is it just me, or was this week's episode actually really good?

It had:

- original characters
    - character development (gasp!)
    - a fairly original story
    - continuity of sorts (Ilum)

And Jedi actually felt Jedi-like for once, instead of really annoying, selfish hypocrites. It felt almost OT-ish (and OT-era EUish) in its focus on character and an individual's own journey rather than a one-size-fits-all approach that we see so much in the PT.

And I quite liked the combination of younglings we got. We got a *gasp* female Rodian who speaks Basic, a human male who *was't* the star, an Ithorian who kind of sounded like a cute puppy, a girl who is cosplaying as Adi Gallia to protest continuity errors, etc. And they all had their own flaws, but mostly (with the exception of Pete or however his name is spelled) good character traits that came to the surface once those problems were addressed. They grew as characters and made us care.

I won't call it the best TCW episode or anywhere near there, but certainly in the top few and definitely the best of the season. Finally.

23. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    And not a single WHM! It's like they had a little JC checklist.
    Yeah, not that easy. There's one location that's seen both in day and night. The entire problem boils down to literally one establishing shot.

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  24. Darth_SHOT

Darth_SHOT Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 11, 2004
    i absolutely agree with everything! great episode. Loved the wookiee and the ithorian especially. i love the series, even with all the continuity problems, but it has been lacking in new ALIEN characters. that and space battles. we didn't had a good space battle since the Umbara arc, and that was like 3 minutes. i want an entire episode of fleet on fleet action dammit! that and episodes focused on other senior jedi... give me master Rancisis! just don't throw him in lava like the poor lanik. and Yoda. more Yoda!!!

25. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    The episode is even more poignant when you realize that all these kids will be dead in a year or two. [face_skull]