main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Will Disney listen to the fans and give them what they want?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Jimstarwarsfan, Nov 3, 2012.

1. fl00dsm0k3

fl00dsm0k3 Jedi Knight

Nov 3, 2012
    disney will probably not care what fans think

2. Jimstarwarsfan

Jimstarwarsfan Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    Who likes the NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Are all fans in agreement on that one.

3. GeneralCeel

GeneralCeel Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 4, 2005
    I love The Phantom Menace. Am I now allowed to have that opinion? What seems odd to me is Star Wars fans who don't like anything but Empire Strikes Back...... 1 our of 6, a fan makes not.

4. yodasbum

yodasbum Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 4, 2004
    I really liked The Phantom Menace, and think its the best of the PT but feel it would be better edited down to 2hrs.

If Jar Jar had resonated with the fans he would have been all over AOTC and ROTS.

5. yodasbum

yodasbum Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 4, 2004
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I don't like the NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

WIERD_GREEN_MAN likes this.
  6. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    The ones in ANH and ESB? I hate that crap.

Billy_Dee_Binks likes this.
  7. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    When fans get too purist, they become blind to many awesome things.

8. Jimstarwarsfan

Oct 30, 2012
    No, it's because i'm so in love with you! spew me guts out! GRINGE,CREEP CREEP!

TheMasterOfSoresu likes this.
  9. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

yodasbum likes this.
  10. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    He was supposed to be the PT's Chewie. I can't remember where I read it, but I read somewhere that in Lucas' original notes for the PT, Anakin would have killed Jar Jar in Ep. III, had he actually been popular.

11. Jimstarwarsfan

Oct 30, 2012
    I still dislike the phantom menace, to certain extent. Theres stuff i like but overall because it's star wars, well...

How about if mickey mouse appears as the next sith threat. Would all the fans be in agreement that that sucks, or will you still get the fans that speculate, well mickey mouse was created by the expolosion of alderan and evolved.

12. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    that would suck.

13. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    I highly doubt Disney or Lucasfilm will include topless, girl on girl pillow fights as the climactic duel in the ST at any time. So, no. I don't see them listening to me.

14. Jimstarwarsfan

Oct 30, 2012
    No, I'm your brothers, friends, mums father in law. Noooooooooooooooooooooo!

15. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Disney won't pander to fans, but they will hopefully give the fans a great Star Wars movie. Something everybody needs.

They will probably give something many of us want, Blu Rays of the unaltered OT. :) :)

That will be the first big gift we get, and I look for that announcement to come in the months to come. Jorge can not stop us now.

WIERD_GREEN_MAN likes this.
  16. Boxster

Boxster Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 13, 2005
    Doubt Disney will listen. The bigger the company, the less they listen. A lot of us still wanted another TRON movie, where's that?

The guys (SW fans) working there will read what's written here perhaps but not the ones who decide.

17. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    I don't know whether or not to laugh at the existence of this thread or respond with a snarky and potentially insulting comment, because it is built entirely on a fallacy and fantasy and a gross misconception about what the sale of Lucasfilm actually means.

18. BobbySharp

BobbySharp Jedi Padawan

Nov 2, 2012
    I would take the suggestions of fans with a very wary ear. First off, the fans ideas of what would constitute a good movie would be all over the board. I'm a fan and my ideas of what would actually make a good movie is likely to be a far cry from most others. Many of the more prominent fan ideas sound as though they're coming from the minds of 12-year olds anyway.

19. GeneralCeel

Nov 4, 2005
    In truth most of what the average movie fan asks for is precisely what they also sit around complaining about. Its real easy for us to sit here and say we could do It better. Now I’m not saying that talented people don’t sometimes make bad movies… but there is a reason why the people who make movies got to the positions they’re in… a combination of talent and desire.

Its like reading a really bad bestselling book. I can sit here and think “Yeah, I can write better than that.” But recreating the prefect storm that turns these things into phenomenon’s that grip the imaginations of millions… Big companies release great material that fails all the time. Great artists produce great art that nobody wants to watch, read or listen to…

If they really knew why one project works and another doesn’t… we’ll there would be no flops. Some things simply strike a nerve….

Back on Star Wars, I think the low brow, almost “b movie” shell that Lucas wraps his ideas in unfortunately leads many people to think Star Wars is more simple than it really is. It may be filled with weird looking aliens and laser swords, but everything is very cleverly crafted and works on multiple levels. There is a reason why we can sit here and discussion Star Wars year after year, with or without a new movie… and that’s because beneath the special effects and make up is a story that grips us and makes us ask questions. Very few movies I see grip me for more than a few hours after I leave the theater. A few might linger with us for days or weeks. Star Wars is one of those rarities that takes hold of many, many people and holds on to them for a lifetime.

20. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i think most of the fans want a good, fun movie. if whoever ends up creatively in charge of this project makes a good, fun movie it should make disney lots and lots of money so i'm sure they'll get behind that.

i actually think gl did try to please the fans with the pt, he was just misguided when it came to what the fans wanted. stuff like, "fans love boba fett, they'll want to see what he was like as a kid" and "fans will want to see yoda fight with a lightsaber". maybe he actually tried too hard to please the fans, instead of just focusing on making good movies.

21. GeneralCeel

Nov 4, 2005
    I'm not convinced that Lucas was pandering to the fans with the prequels. Were that the case it seems to me he would have let somebody else direct and made the movies more like the originals. The reduction of Jar Jar's role after TPM is questionable. Was he intended as the new alien sidekick (like Chewy) for the prequel trilogy? Or was he simply never intended to play a large role beyond Phantom Menace? I guess we'll never know. Personally I like the interesting dynamic of a character being featured significantly on one adventure, not dying, but only playing a limited role later on. Movies tend to kill characters off. There is something more "real world" about having roles that either grow or shrink with the telling. Mace Windu was a similar example. If you only see TPM he's almost an extra. But if you continue to watch he becomes more important. In real life our school friends play a large role in our lives. Paths separate and their stories become our background noise as adults...
    Anyhow. I think its important to remember that "pleasing fans" and "making good movies" are neither connected nor mutually exclusive. Sometimes crowds eat up a lousy piece of art. Sometimes they shun a fantastic achievement. Once in a while a movie happens to be artistically relevant and a crowd pleaser. The important thing to know, however, is that you cannot create a work of lasting art if your sole goals are to please a large audience of fans and make money. A work of art has its own specific needs. If you try to force fan friendliness and marketability into the mix the cracks will show, and the end results won’t hold up to close scrutiny.

22. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    The PT were just as perfect as the OT lol at elitest attitudes. Lucas gave me exactly what I wanted with the PT, so I really don't know what you are talking about. I just hope Fox Never allows these new movies to be packaged with Palpatine saga.

23. GeneralCeel

Nov 4, 2005
    Honestly its probably not up to Fox beyond the end of whatever current distribution agreement they have in place. Fox does not own any Star Wars. They did own some rights to the original 1977 film (as they did fund it), which Lucas later got back fully.

24. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    This is exactly true. Everyone has a different point of view. You have the saga uniters & the saga dividers, you have the saga extention crowd & you have the saga IS complete guy, everyone wants different things for whatever reasons. Its getting more messy by the day around here.

Lady_Skywalker87 and yodasbum like this.
  25. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    I love it.

Billy_Dee_Binks likes this.