main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Info Episode 7 an original story

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by PrincessKenobi , Oct 31, 2012.

1. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Just like the Boba Fett origin?

2. jfw1271

jfw1271 Jedi Youngling

Nov 1, 2012
    I think it's still pretty ambiguous as to whether or not there will be continuity with the EU. All that has been said is that this new trilogy will not follow the Thrawn trilogy and that it will be an original trilogy. "Original" could or could not imply that it will "go against" the EU. They could totally hold onto the EU and just tell a story that hasn't been told yet from it, throw it out entirely, or borrow certain concepts and disregard others. Still yet to be determined.

3. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    People who can't break away from the EU should just start pretending this movie won't exist and stick with the books, because even if the books were adapted for this film or if characters were to be used, they would get even more upset with the inaccuracies. The characters and storylines that I least expect to see in this are the offspring of Han and Leia, and Luke and Mara Jade, clones of the Emperor, Dark Jedi like C'boath and his mental control of Imperial officers through the Force, ysalamiri, and the Vong.

4. jfw1271

jfw1271 Jedi Youngling

Nov 1, 2012
    I agree with you Bobatron. The approach needed for coming into these movies is openness to whatever the heck they want to do. We need to be happy about new star wars! Alot of the EU stories are good. most are not. My speculation and instincts say that we've gotta see a grandchild of Anakin- that's what will actually make the ST matter in regards to the rest. It can't just be "what happens next" It has to be important and it has to pertain to the PT and OT. There will have to be something "unfinished" about the story that the skywalker line has to finalize

5. KnightDawg

KnightDawg Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2007
    What I mean is that Ep.7 isn't going to be any different than Ep's. 1-6 when it comes to the EU. Exactly why would it be any different? The EU rarely uses all of it's characters in their main storyline plots and there are plenty of stories that can be told that keeps the main EU timeline's stories extremely consistent.

6. jfw1271

jfw1271 Jedi Youngling

Nov 1, 2012
    Honestly, I'm so glad we are getting an original story- it'll be something fresh and new and I could care less if it contradicts the EU or not. What if in the opening credits, it says that Luke died a year after the death stars destruction? I don't think that is what they will do, but if they did something like that- whatever, I'm willing to give some new story tellers a shot with this thing.

7. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I'm also very glad it won't be based on existing EU novels like the Thrawn Trilogy.

Regarding getting The Big Three back, I don't think Fisher and Ford would work well in it for some reason, but I also have doubts about them wanting to be in it anyway. But I agree with others who think it would be very cool to have Hamill back to play an older Luke, even if it's just for a few scenes. So to do that, you would not be able to have the Han and Leia characters in it, because having new actors portray them while having Hamill play Luke would just not work. So maybe the opening scroll and/or some conversations we hear could give us a quick catching up on their stories (got married, bought a house by a lake on Naboo, had some kids, etc.... haha).

I think my initial shock at this announcement is starting to wear off, and I may even be moving into a phase of "cautious enthusiasm"... even regarding the plan to make new movies.

8. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    If Disney goes in the wrong direction & trys to connect to the Fox Palpatine saga, ill just only support the fox movies. Those 6 are classics

9. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    Its a rather annoying animal, but I guess their are two sides to the annoyance.

10. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    lol always a certain group of fans that feel something is owed to the. The OT cast had their turn. Bring on new talent. We don't need any of the old people at all.

11. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    Where was the Boba Fett origin written about before Ep 2? I can't seem to find it.

12. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
  13. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    [​IMG]
    EDIT: ninjad

syferdiasisalie likes this.
  14. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    How is that the 'wrong direction?'

Why don't we just wait and see what they have in mind instead of bringing down judgment before the films even get out of the developmental stage?

Hitchhiking-Ghost likes this.
  15. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 31, 2012
  16. syferdiasisalie

syferdiasisalie Jedi Master star 3

Sep 26, 2004
    If the new movies relate to ones that you liked, you won't like them?

17. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Because there are other Tales books. Anyway Original just means not told yet, will it damage the EU? Probably some of it... should we be concerned?

Depends on what they decide to ignore, destroy, or otherwise retcon. I for one have no problem removing the NJO, Swarm War, and the following works from the continuity. Though the idea of there being a Ben Skywalker is just to good to give up.

18. KnightDawg

KnightDawg Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2007
    The Tales novels were fun, but they weren't very strong canon-based. They were basically "tales".

19. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Again is this source really reliable? Just some unnamed LA staff?

20. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    The post you were responding to gave no indication s/he feels s/he is "owed" anything. That's your invented overlay on the discussion.

When you say "We don't need..." what you mean is "I personally don't want..." You shouldn't presume to speak or write for the entirety of Star Wars fandom.

21. EUdiscoverer1136

EUdiscoverer1136 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 18, 2012
    Exactly the way I feel. Thanks for saving me the time to write a lengthy post, lol!

The2ndQuest likes this.
  22. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    As long as people remember it's purely opinion based speculation and not actual fact, it helps pass the time until actual facts are available.

It's only a far off dream of what E:VII will be right now... a dream that will be come clear eventually, but a dream none the less.

23. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    They were as canon as any other C-canon. Anderson even told the authors they were writing canon ( Daniel Keys Moran interview ).

24. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Tales of the Bounty Hunters was the third "Tales" anthology novel released (following Tales From the Mos Eisley Cantina and Tales From Jabba's Palace). Two others followed (Tales From the Empire & Tales From the New Republic, but unlike the first three (which were entirely original short stories meant to interconnect with one another), they just republished existing short stories from the SW Adventure Journal (and other sources), anchored by original novellas by Timothy Zahn & Michael A. Stackpole.

That's not a very good example- for Salvation they used a body double (coincidentally, an actor who also happened to be an Austrian body builder) and, for the most part, just mapped pre-existing footage of Arnold from the first two movies onto his face (and then proceed to remove said face pretty quickly so they can "cover it up" by using the Endoskeleton underneath). And, as mentioned earlier, he didn't say any dialogue even while faced.

For elder Luke, they're not going to have Luke footage they can use for that purpose, so they'd have to go the Tron and go full CGI or X3 and use digital makeup (which could backfire- see Xavier in Wolverine, yeesh!).

Several, actually. There are at least 3 SW homages in the film.

25. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Ok, let's be fair. The Wolverine effects weren't up to ANYONE's standards. ;)